Older PC acting up

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by InuYasha, Sep 16, 2010.

Sep 16, 2010

Older PC acting up by InuYasha at 4:17 PM (872 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. InuYasha
    OP

Member InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

United States
    I run an older machine basically for email web surfing etc etc basic stuff,now to my problem...for the past couple of weeks or so my computer fails to power on,one second it lights up and the next second it powers off,so my first guess would be a failing power supply but since I don't have another one to test i'm not sure and since its a custom built computer i'm not sure if it requires a certain one or what,so basically what I want to know is can anything else aside from the power supply be causing this problem?

2. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Quite possibly the psu as you said. Usually custom built pcs would just use a standard atx type psu. As its an old pc it shouldn't require a high watt psu.

You could try reseating the cpu heatsink in case the computer is shutting down from overheating. Also try removing the motherboard from the case and placing it back in. Sometimes it can move slightly and short off the computer case, causing it not to turn on at all, or to turn off quickly.

3. Am0s

Member Am0s Mojo Risin

United Kingdom
    only other thing I could think of with the failing psu is if you have extra pci cards over the extra power consumption that could push the psu over the edge etc, also loads of usb can have the same effect, try disconnecting any extra card or usb see if it helps.

4. InuYasha
    OP

United States
    I've been thinking about taking stuff out removing any dust that has built up inside,but I guess what stops me from doing so is theres so many wires going this way and that way its as if you opened up the human body and started poking around,I don't think overheating is the issue since I had the problem in the past (since theres so much crap cramped in this damn computer) that I just leave the sides of the case open just so the computer won't overheat,yes i'm inviting dust to the part I know,Guess i'll turn it off now and give it a look while i'm not really using it at the moment for anything important...

5. Am0s

Member Am0s Mojo Risin

United Kingdom
    a little example of how an overloaded psu operates, my friend had a pc e-machines budget machine, anyhow he added a firewire card and then pc the pc would boot up to windows and then switch off sometimes switching off on post screen too, removing it solved the problem, 1 more example, a woman I spoke to having issues with her usb modem would not install properly, I asked how many usb devices she had and she replied 8 including the usb modem, removing some usb devices worked.

as for opening it up its nothing to be afraid of, just be careful of accidently pulling on any wires, removing the side panel while running the machine might not help it as ATX machine suck air through the front vent and out over the cpu and out the back, if the side panel is not on when the machine is running then the flow of air will be reduced.

6. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    This PC I'm on has been acting up in the same manner.....sometimes won't power on. Did it just today, as a matter of fact. Generally, it's a connection issue. We did recently change the PSU in it, but I had to unplug the main power harness connected to the motherboard and plug it back in. That fixed it....this time. Sometimes you will have to re-seat cards in the system too. The connections get cruddy and the re-seat sort of scrubs the contacts back to a working state. Dust, cigarette smoke, pet dander, environmental temperature changes, aging components, etc. can all affect a PC that is older and cause it to fail to power on if it fails its Power On Self Test (POST). Sometimes, a dustball sitting on a component can be enough to prevent the computer from booting. You need to clean that puppy out.

It's just the PC's way of telling you it needs some TLC. I noticed the issue tends to happen most when ambient temperatures start dropping....the system is colder than it has been over the summer, so it will act up occasionally upon bootup. Older components don't like being cold. Sometimes the computer is kinda flaky until I reboot it after it has warmed up a bit. It's just an old PC that really needs to be replaced or upgraded. The components do wear out over time. Yours is probably starting to do the same thing. Trust me, screwy issues will only get more frequent as time goes by. Eventually, you will be forced to replace something in the system to restore its integrity.

I'll have to admit, I've been quite lazy about cleaning out the system regularly, but I've been pretty lucky since it's been running the same format for like 4 years now. I really should re-format it just to clear out all the junk that I've filtered through it over the years, but then I come back to that whole lazy thing.....I'd rather be formatting a new rig than to just re-format the same old system and then have to hassle setting it all back up the way I had it.

7. InuYasha
    OP

United States
    Well it did start right up today to my surprise,but it also did that before for like 3-4 days in a row then did its little power on and off trick so i'm not gone to get that happy about it turning on this morning because its probaly tricking me,but anyway yesterday I took some baby steps...I unplugged the floppy drive from the power supply and moved up my sound card 1 slot up(cause it was free) so I guess i'll see what happens over the next few days...

8. InuYasha
    OP

United States
    OK finally got to clean it out alittle yesterday,its still acting up but i've noticed if I click the power button off and on (waiting a few seconds or mins inbetween) it seemed to power up like it should,and as I was trying to clean the back of the power supply alittle(with qtips ,had no compressed air) the power supply fan seemed alittle hard to move,are they suppose to be loose moving or hard to move like that? so does that still sound like a PS issue? incase anyone was wondering its an ATC A-Top switching power supply model 250U,250 watts...basically anyone know any good sites to find some good priced power supplys?,I checked out newegg and the cheapest one they had at like 18 bucks or so looked like a decent one for my uses till I was reading the reviews about that you may get a DOA one,which I assume means dead on arrival? obviously i'm not looking to turn this computer into a power house I just want it to boot up like it should,again thanks for the help...