Old Newbie Has Questions

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Narwal, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Narwal
    OP

Narwal Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2016
    Netherlands Antilles
    Hi All!
    First post here. I have looked over the FAQ's and tutorials and while I found lots of specific stuff I didn't se a general overview of what I need.

I have an older "white" WII which my daughter uses and she wants some games which I have found downloads for (Transformers Prime especially). So my basic question is:

Besides downloading the game file (which is a WBFS file) what do I need to do to get the game to play on the WII?

Can I burn it to a DVD and/or a USB stick?
    Which would be better?
    And what else do I need to do this? I got the WBSF Manager but I also see that there are ISO files out there.

I would really appreciate a basic, Step1, Step2, Step 3, etc. list of what I need.
    I'm pretty good with computers but know very little about gaming.

Thank you very much in advance.

2. Ricken

Ricken So long, and goodnite / So long, not goodnite

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    Shibuya, The small one from Vegas
    You firstly need to install the homebrew channel, and for that, you need a 2GB SD card. So before I get into instructions, do you have a 2GB SD card?

3. Narwal
    OP

Narwal Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2016
    Netherlands Antilles
    Yes I do. Does it matter what kind it is? I read something about there being different types of HD cards.

4. Ricken

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    idr the details, but Letterbomb only works with 2GB SD cards. Format one of your 2GB SDs, find your MAC address (Internet settings, console information), then go to the link below
    http://please.hackmii.com/
    Pick your system version and type your MAC address. Then cut either wire, drag all the contents of the zip you downloaded to that SD, turn off the Wii, insert the SD into it, then turn the Wii back on. Then look through the messages of
    -The day the zip was downloaded
    -The day before the zip was downloaded
    -The day after the zip was downloaded
    Just keep flipping through those until you see a cute little letterbomb. Open it, then proceed to install the homebrew channel, and as for BootMii, either
    A. Install it as Boot2 (Although I personally prefer Priiloader over BootMii2)
    B. Install it as IOS

Now you should have the homebrew channel installed to your system

I'd go on, but everything else belongs in the Wii backup loaders section of the fourm http://gbatemp.net/forums/wii-backup-loaders.190/

5. Narwal
    OP

Narwal Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2016
    Netherlands Antilles
    Thank you very much.

I had already figured out the Homebrew channel stuff, but what I still don't know is how to actually load/play a game.

Do burn the WBSF file to a dvd or just copy to the SD card? Does something need to be done to the WBSF file before I burn or copy it, like
    extracting the image file from an ISO?

Thanks

6. Ricken

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    Sorry for slow(ish) reply
    USB is the way to go. ALOT less setting up
    I get that YT guides get outdated, but this does accomplish installing d2X (I think that's what it was called :P) in Slot 249
    YT
    He says you need a hard drive, but a thumbdrive works fine (I use a 32GB one)

EDIT; Oops... This is that stuff that's supposed to be talked about in the Wii Backup Loaders section of the forum :P

7. PhoenixPlayzz

PhoenixPlayzz Member

Newcomer
    Aug 26, 2015
    Canada
    Hope I'm not intruding, but if you want to keep further soft modding I'd recommend this really helpful guide, as it's always current for the latest firmware (not always the case for YouTube):

https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/

Ricken likes this.