Offline system updates

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by davhuit, Oct 19, 2008.

Oct 19, 2008

Offline system updates by davhuit at 6:59 AM (2,397 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. davhuit
    OP

Member davhuit GBAtemp Advanced Fan

France
    I hope this have not been covered before in the forum but I searched a bit and it seems not so. (I so a recent topic more or less about updates but it was talking of solutions with "online functions" which I can't use, except if the software bypass nintendo download delay limit)

I have a PAL Wii (French ones) but I have an RTC connection and so, can't do online system updates.

(Nintendo seems to have put a delay on their updates, and after the delay time is over, the update stop, so I can't get more than 1/3 of the update because of the speed of my connection).

My system have the 3.1E firmware and I want to get, at least, the 3.2E one or better, the 3.3E.

Why that ?

Because I want to play Megaman 9 and Dr. Mario, two games which needs at least 3.2 (at least, in PAL) to work.

If I would have a good connection, I would have updated my system online then get the two games on the online shop but slow connection means :

- No system updates, which also means, no online shop (need, at least, one update to use it).

I searched a bit on the web and found there is a "little" iso file which people who semi-brick their system can use
    to unbrick it (it update the system to the next available firmware).

So, I thought it could be a good way for me to reach 3.2E or 3.3E but I read a modchip is needed to read the burned DVD-R (my system don't have a modchip as I only use original disc games).

But then, I read in some places that the Backup Loader don't need a modchip and is able to read the games burned on DVD-R.

So my question is :

Is there a way using some of the same things (I read something like "Cios" would be a new firmware for the DVD Reader or something like that) to be able to read the burned disc with the update on it (which would able me to update my system offline).

Some peoples would say, "get a game with an update and here you go".

The problem is that most of the last PAL games don't seem to have an update yet.

Last ones I bought (not specially for the update, of course, but to play them) :

- Mario Kart (PAL) : No firmware update (works on 3.1 E).
    - Samba de Amigo (PAL) : No firmware update (works on 3.1 E). The game says it update the system, but probably just some minors things cause the firmware number stay the same after.
    - Star Wars : The Unleashed Power (PAL) : No firmware update (works on 3.1 E).
    - Super Smash Bros Brawl (PAL) : No firmware update (works on 3.1 E). The game says it update the system, but it's just seems to be a update to deal better with Dual Layer disc or something like that.

Thanks a lot.

Edit : A while ago, I thought of a method but it would look a bit weird. I thought that maybe by downloading an iso of a game with an update (searching for one until I find one), then using the ISO Launcher, maybe the game would ask to update the system and work. The problem is : "Can't be sure if the game will need the update with the ISO Loader, and also can't be sure the ISO Loader are enough stable to not fuck the system after the update if it ask one).

2. Tichinde925

Member Tichinde925 Marth Ditto Money Match?

United States
    This will make WiiWare games PLAYABLE on Wii Firmware 3.1

The following is a direct quote.

This will stop the resetting back to the Main System Menu when launching WiiWare.

For NTSC-North America users, on step 3 and step 4:

3. When asked to patch the .dol file, press 0. After it finishes, press any key.

Press 1 instead.

4. For the next option (Video Mode Changer), press A then enter. If converting to PAL, choose option 1, if not, choose 2, then press enter. Press any key to continue.

Press 2 as you want it to stay NTSC.

For the most part everything else can be followed word for word.

3. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines
    wiiware wads can be modified to work with any system menu firmware

there's a guide here

also, you can download an iso of your same region rip the update wads via trucha signer and install using wadmanager

EDIT: oh look! there's the guide above me

4. Tichinde925

Member Tichinde925 Marth Ditto Money Match?

United States
    Na paka ang galing ako! [​IMG]

5. davhuit
    OP

France
    Wow, nice, it worked like a charm! (For Megaman 9 & Dr. Mario, the two games which weren't working in the ones I had previously tested)

So, now, I don't need system updates anymore [​IMG] (As the retail games which need it always include the update itself)

Thanks a lot!

6. davhuit
    OP

France
    I missed that the first time I read, but just for the curiosity, that means the update can be ripped from a game iso in a .wad file, then you can install the system update with "wadmanager" like any other channels ?