OFF or Sleep mode?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Dark_linis, Mar 31, 2011.

Mar 31, 2011

OFF or Sleep mode? by Dark_linis at 6:31 AM (1,896 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. Dark_linis
    OP

Member Dark_linis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So I've been wondering if there are any adverse effects to keeping my 3ds on sleep mode for an extended period of time. The online is usually on but I just plop it in the cradle when I'm not using it. Could this maybe shorten the life of the battery or network capabilities?

2. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    Well just having it sit there on the cradle whether off or in sleep mode is hurting it. Only charge it when the battery is dead or close to. And once its done take it off.

3. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    You need to use sleep mode if you want those coins from using the pedometer, and to do things in the mii plaza.

If you don't plan to use any of those features, turning it off might be better for you.

4. Dead End

Member Dead End GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I rarely turn my 3DS off unless something happens and I HAVE to restart. like the Black Screen Error or an Error in a DS Game...

5. Dark_linis
    OP

Member Dark_linis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Seriously? I thought the whole point of the cradle was to let is just sit there when it wasn't being used. It's been there most of the time since Sunday!

6. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    No it doesn't. When the battery is full, the system disconnects the power current to the battery, which prevents it from being damaged.

7. iceissocold

Newcomer iceissocold Advanced Member

United States
    Are you aware that when the 3DS is full charged it disconnects the connection to prevent overcharging? When the light goes off that means the device is no longer charging and is ready for use.

Edit: Damn Snailface beat me to it. [​IMG] I've just been seeing these comments being made all over and people need to know that keeping it on the charger and/or cradle will not hurt the device.

8. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    I do not think it will.

9. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    wait wait? I never heard of this. The actual cradle does this? But if you connect it via wire it wont do this auto disconnect? Sweet! Now I can leave my 3ds on my cradle cuz my place is right by alot of foot traffic! [​IMG]

10. altorn

Member altorn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    ^ no, the cradle is mechanically controlled by springs and wires. the 3DS just stops taking current in. (or at least the lithium battery)

....but what if it's plugged in and you play a game while still plugged in? does it drain and charge in a cycle?

also, do not let your batteries run dry, when it's warning you that the battery is low, charge it ASAP.

11. fearofshorts

Member fearofshorts GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Ok, here's a few things about this- leaving your 3DS on constantly will burn through it's battery life much faster. You might lose as much as 40-50% capacity within a year.

Secondly, do NOT fully discharge your battery before recharging. This will actually reduce it's lifespan considerably. It is far better to charge the battery when possible.

Source: http://batteryuniversity.com/

12. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    I'll be leaving it in sleep mode when there is a possibility for that SpotPass thing.

Right now though, until the 'big' update comes along, I don't see a reason to keep it on sleep mode.

13. Herox

Newcomer Herox Member

United States
    SLEEP MODE! And you could leave this thing on charger 24/7. When the DS battery is at max the ds runs off the wire, and the battery stops charging. Otherwise the battery would never become full. I left my original ds on sleep mode with many games for 6 years and only in the last 3 or 4 months the battery went to hell and I had to replace it. I have full faith I can never turn my 3ds off and leave it on the charger over night without a care in the world about a dying battery.

14. Nollog

Member Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Ireland
    That's old nimh batteries. The 3DS and most consumer electronics now use Lithium Ion.
    It's best to keep them at 75-99% charged.
    Never fully discharge them!

15. justmike

Member justmike GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Doesn't the operation booklet say the dock is pretty much used all the time so your 3DS is always charged? Meaning, you can put it on and off without worry.

Putting it on sleep mode does no harm to your 3DS. Just check out the operation book.

16. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    I went to Tesco earlier with my 3DS sleeping in my jacket pocket. Even though I went through the entire store, the walk there and back, and passed through my local Game store twice, I STILL didn't get anything from Streetpass.

17. Herox

Newcomer Herox Member

United States
    Not everyone can afford one.

But yea, its fine to sit on cradle 24/7 as like the old ds, when fully charged it will eat power off the wire.