Occulus Rift?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Noctosphere, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Noctosphere
    OP

Noctosphere Moon furries | Official follower of Skiddon't-ism

GBAtemp Patron
    Noctosphere is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Between three furries women
    Hello,
    Simple question, what's the big difference between occulus rift (and such hardware) and 3d glasses?
    I guess Occulus Rift allows you to see your game 360 degree and 3d glasses, only when looking at your screen, but except that, what else?

2. raystriker

raystriker Alpha PC Builder

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    The concept is totally different. VR solutions like Occulus aim to immerse you into the content. You are IN THERE.
    Your standard 3D tech (in my dictionary) only provides you fractional depth of the content.

3. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    3d glasses make the tv your looking at pop out.
    VR headset put you in the scene. You look left the video moves to match.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  4. Noctosphere
    OP

Noctosphere Moon furries | Official follower of Skiddon't-ism

GBAtemp Patron
    Noctosphere is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Between three furries women
    well thats what i meant by 360

5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    As mentioned, 3D just gives you perceived depth to images (and does so by using imaging tricks), the Oculus Rift and other such VR headsets will visually put you into the content you're (presumably) playing, giving actual depth to the images displayed.

Basic 3D is more like...multiple "flat" images displayed on different layers. Say you're watching a movie, for example, and there are leaves blowing that appear in front of the characters. Instead of feeling like they're actually there, they feel like they're just on a closer layer to you than the characters are.

VR, on the other hand, gives you an actual depth to the images you see. VR headsets display the information in such a way that it appears as if you're actually seeing the things being display, as if you're actually there. You can really see how far away or how close something is, you feel as if you can interact with everything in the environment, everything looks as it would "in real life".

It's sort of hard to explain to someone who just has an extremely basic idea of what VR is. VR is like 3D on steroids, to such an extent that it's hard to really compare the two. I'd suggest trying to find a store that'd let you try out VR headsets, or even just buying one of those $5 Google Cardboard VR kits that would just give you the idea of what VR is going to be like in order to "get" it.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.