NX-Shell - Multipurpose File Manager for Nintendo Switch

Hello everyone, the new release with the much requested USB support is finally here! (Couldn't have done it without @DarkMatterCore's usb library) It's worth mentioning since it is such a big update (backend changes and FS refactor) there *may* be some issues, but the only way I can find and fix those is through you guys! However rest assured, I did run a lot of tests myself to make sure it is functioning as expected. If I waited a month, it would've been exactly 2 years since the last release 🥺.

icon.jpg

Change-log:

• FS:
    • Added support for browsing USB devices.
    • Switched back to libc to handle FS operations.
    • Brought back support for browsing other devices such as safe, user and system.
  • GUI:
    • Update to imGui v1.88.
    • Switch to imGui's new keyEvent API.
    • The two views (File Browser and Settings) can now be navigated as tabs.
    • Switched from list view to a table view using imGui's table API.
    • Sorting is no longer applied from settings, it can be done directly by clicking on the table column headers.
    • A new selector has been added to allow the user to switch to different devices such as safe, user, USB etc.
    • Settings are no longer categorized by imGui's tree system.
    • No longer uses SDL2 as a backend, but instead uses opengl v3 directly (along with egl).
  • Fixes:
    • Properly delete config file if the config file version is outdated.
    • Properly free textures after exiting application.
    • Fixed scrolling via the right joystick after zooming into an image.
    • Lots of code clean up and under the hood changes that are too many to list here.

f43g1ya.jpg

3dU0ciU.jpg

2022080419235500-a282ce99633b844e0497db963451d670-jpg.321175

Download: https://github.com/joel16/NX-Shell/releases

Last edited by Joel16,

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't even realize its already been well over a year since I started this project, well wow time does go by pretty quickly huh. Not going to lie, I honestly haven't been motivated much to continue this project. I guess the work life can be pretty demanding, and I just don't feel like working on this as much as I loved to when I first started this project. Back then I had a lot of time on my hands. A 9-5 hr busy weekday + travel time and by the time I come home I don't want to do anything but relax, workout, watch shows or something. Anyway this is a bit late, and I didn't want to release this as is (I wanted more time to polish it some more). However considering the 9.00 fix is rather urgent here's an updated version:

Download: (Change-log on GitHub)
https://github.com/joel16/NX-Shell/releases/tag/2.10

I'll probably work on a few more updates to keep things as clean as possible before I call this off.

HitchensRIP

Trophies
XP
Country
Malta
I didn't even realize its already been well over a year since I started this project, well wow time does go by pretty quickly huh. Not going to lie, I honestly haven't been motivated much to continue this project. I guess the work life can be pretty demanding, and I just don't feel like working on this as much as I loved to when I first started this project. Back then I had a lot of time on my hands. A 9-5 hr busy weekday + travel time and by the time I come home I don't want to do anything but relax, workout, watch shows or something. Anyway this is a bit late, and I didn't want to release this as is (I wanted more time to polish it some more). However considering the 9.00 fix is rather urgent here's an updated version:

I'll probably work on a few more updates to keep things as clean as possible before I call this off.

Sad to see you go man, but thanks for all the great work and effort.

Reactions: uyjulian and Joel16

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the update! Be a shame to see you move on from this awesome project, but it's understandable, life moves on. It's already a really solid file manager that I regularly use when I need one, and as you were nice enough to make it open source, others can continue it as needed :) Take it easy mate.

D

Deleted User

take it easy man, and thanks for your hard work. this is a great file manager; be happy knowing that other developers in the homebrew community will carry on nx-shell's legacy thanks to it being open source. hope to see more projects from you in the future.

Last edited by ,

Mthodmn101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just deleted a couple of files successfully.

i tried to remove an nro, and it said it deleted but the file was still there. also a tried a folder containing an nro and same thing :(

Edit: went back to 2.00 and everything deleted fine... maybe it is something with that temp atmos thing for 9.0 that is screwing with things?

Edit2: same thing happens on sxos and atmosphere :shrug:

Last edited by Mthodmn101,

Mthodmn101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone else test to see if this is also happening in other devices?

Also thanks for the helpful messages!

2.10 = choose delete, confirm, nothing is deleted
2.00 = choose delete, confirm, file gone

tried various file types and all the same outcome. On Emunand 9.0 atmos/sxos

Edit: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/502471545784893450/628298682000867338/IMG_0785.mp4

Seems to happen when you check off a file, then press X to delete. So would affect bulk deletion as well ... If you do not check off a single file and just use X to delete, the file deletes

Last edited by Mthodmn101,
Reactions: HitchensRIP

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seems to happen when you check off a file, then press X to delete. So would affect bulk deletion as well ... If you do not check off a single file and just use X to delete, the file deletes
Oh, confirmed. Previously I did it without checking the box, just x to delete, and it deleted. This time I tried checking the box, for one or two files at a time, and it didn't delete.

Warlord698

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any chance this might get support to read usb drives (thumb drives with usb-c or usb-c OTG adaptor for example). This would make copying over games much easier, especially when not at home (say if you downloaded to phone then copied to the drive)

Reactions: thaikhoa

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Any chance this might get support to read usb drives (thumb drives with usb-c or usb-c OTG adaptor for example). This would make copying over games much easier, especially when not at home (say if you downloaded to phone then copied to the drive)
Wait until usb support finishes being added to atmosphere, then it's probably more doable.

In the meantime there's ns-usbloader for android if you want to do usb install straight from your phone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over