Nvidia sheild TV

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Sathya, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Sathya
    OP

Sathya GBAtemp Professional Poetry maker

Nov 9, 2016
    Indonesia
    NURANI'S HOME
    Ive watch the price at that console, and its more cheaper than gaming PC or Laptop. Please.... can you tell me .... can i play dolphin and pc games on that console? Thx alotttt...

2. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    It's an Android machine. You can run Dolphin and a whole slew of other emulators but (newer*) PC games are out of its reach.

*you can run DOSBox on it and play some DOS games, and run old adventure games on SCUMM VM but nothing modern.

Sathya likes this.
  3. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    The only PC games it can run is either a handful of Android ports e.g. HL2 or stream them over the internet.

Sathya likes this.
  4. Sathya
    OP

Nov 9, 2016
    Indonesia
    NURANI'S HOME
    Long time not see you.... veho. so, any recomended console to play pc games?

5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    You'll never find a game console that can run PC games that haven't been natively ported over. If you want to play PC games, buy a PC. If you can't afford a decent PC, buy a shitty one and just deal with older PC games, then upgrade it as you save more cash.

6. jefffisher

jefffisher GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    it does have a surprising amount of games available but definitely not enough for anyone to consider buying it as a gaming device, i use it for kodi since it has a hardware decoder for nearly every video imaginable.
    if you want to play games get a playstation or xbox

7. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Guru

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    I use mine for retro console gaming while my hardware and software are in storage.

I run reicast(gb-GC&DC), dolphin (GC/Wii), reicast (DC/Naomi), yabasanshiro (Saturn), mupen64FZ for N64 (or parallel on Retroarch), ePSXe, etc etc.

You can play mobile games on it or stream pc games with moonlight iirc, but defeats the purpose.

Sathya likes this.
  8. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    A PC, I'm afraid.

Check out Cheap Ass Gamer and similar sites for advice on how to get good deals on hardware and how to run games on cheaper, lower-end setups.

Sathya likes this.
  9. Sathya
    OP

Nov 9, 2016
    Indonesia
    NURANI'S HOME
    If you say ps4 or xbox, how about switch?

10. Vieela

Vieela GBATemp's official thinkerâ„¢

Jan 18, 2017
    Brazil
    I was about to say Steam Link, but that would need a computer, so nevermind.
    Well, there are some computer ports, but you will be working hard to find something decent. You can find Final Fantasy XV PE, Life Is Strange, Half Life, maybe portal? (there's a portal themed game somewhere, don't know if it's portal) but apart from emulators for the GC/Wii or Dreamcast, you will be hard-pressed to find anything else to do. My recommendation is that if you want very cheap gaming you could search for older consoles like the PS3/Xbox 360 as these sell for quite cheap and has a quite good library of games to play.

Now, if you want to play actual PC games or games with the quality of a PC on a console... Go for the latest ones. PS4 or XBOX One are two great consoles, and though people bash XB1 quite a lot, i don't think it's all that bad. Go searching mainly for the games you want, as both has their exclusives, and choose based on these games which console you will buy.

11. Sathya
    OP

Nov 9, 2016
    Indonesia
    NURANI'S HOME
    For console, maybe i choose switch. Because i can play xbox or ps4 games on swicth, (i mean the game devloper also support for switch) but we cant play nintendo games on ps4 on xbox. But why i want to buy nvidia tv? Because i want to play pc games, wii and gc games, android games, and watch streaming movies. But...... now i know nvidia console cant play pc games.

12. PanTheFaun

PanTheFaun The Uninspired Artist

GBAtemp Patron
    PanTheFaun is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2015
    United States
    Unknown
    I have a Nvidia Shield TV. When I don't want to use my gaming computer I stream all the latest PC games using Geforce Now on it and it runs flawlessly. I think this is a good alternative to a gaming pc or console if you are low on cash. It's also great for emulation. I also think its better than owning a PS4 or Xbox One and I have both.

13. Vieela

Vieela GBATemp's official thinkerâ„¢

Jan 18, 2017
    Brazil
    Switch will much probably play GC and Wii games smoothly in no time. Give some more months for people to improve the existing emulators and it will be running perfectly. There's already emulators (Dolphin) for GC and Wii, they're just not optimized, but are being constantly worked on. There's many breakthroughs in Switch's scene all in quick succession, so it's better to wait.