Hacking Ntrboothax help

ray3042

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I got a japanese new 3ds off craigslist, and come to find out its bricked. Im getting an error saying FIRM partition fail when trying to using safeb9s installer. Any help would be appreciated.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TurdPooCharger I tried a few 4gb micro sd cards, but the install fails when it reaches the crypto status check and gives the firm partition fail error message

Did you check any of those SD cards with H2testw like what was mentioned in that GitHub issue? Do a Full Write + Verify Test on an empty card.

Maybe try a different set of CFW files on your SD card. Use the starter kit archive found at:
(SafeB9SInstaller.firm is included).

ray3042

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@TurdPooCharger I checked the one im using and it came back with no errors, and I don't think the 3ds was hacked at any point. Is my only option to hard mod at this point? also im kind of a noob when it comes to 3ds modding

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TurdPooCharger I checked the one im using and it came back with no errors, and I don't think the 3ds was hacked at any point. Is my only option to hard mod at this point? also im kind of a noob when it comes to 3ds modding
My bad. The set of files I gave you are for a 3DS already hacked with boot9strap custom firmware.

If you're trying to hack a 3DS the first time with NTRboot, there should be a file called boot.firm on the root of the card. When hacking, the SafeB9SInstaller.firm is the first one placed there renamed as boot.firm. At some point, this boot.firm gets replaced by the one from Luma3DS. The boot.firm found in that archive is the Luma3DS and not the SafeB9SInstaller.

And that's why we always refer to the 3ds.hacks.guide first.
Section I - Prep Work
  1. Power off your device
  2. Insert your device’s SD card into your computer
    • This is the SD card from your 3DS, not the SD card from your flashcart
  3. Copy SafeB9SInstaller.firm to the root of your SD card and rename it to boot.firm
  4. Copy boot.3dsx to the root of your SD card
  5. Create a folder named boot9strap on the root of your SD card
  6. Copy boot9strap.firm and boot9strap.firm.sha from the boot9strap .zip to the /boot9strap/ folder on your SD card

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

ray3042

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@TurdPooCharger I followed the guide but it gave me the error, which is why im asking for help on here. i tried both the flashcart and sd card on another 3ds and it worked, so im thinking a hardmod might be needed

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TurdPooCharger I followed the guide but it gave me the error, which is why im asking for help on here. i tried both the flashcart and sd card on another 3ds and it worked, so im thinking a hardmod might be needed
My advice is to rule out all the common suspects before committing to hardmod, which is why you're being asked about checking the SD card and double checking NTRboot files; I take fault on trying to get you already collected files with one was out of place.

A possible reason why you might not be able to use NTRboot is if your 3DS is already hacked using the older (A9LH) arm9loaderhax custom firmware.

See if this does anything:

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TurdPooCharger it didnt work, you have any other suggestions?

So we've ruled out:
  • bad SD card - after checking with H2testw
  • pre-hacked with boot9strap - after using the starter kit
  • pre-hacked with arm9loaderhax - after following the A9LH to B9S guide
Did you already try these two below?
  • Recovery Mode
  • remove & reinsert battery + boot the 3DS without the SD card

Hey, when you did the NTRboot guide, you managed to successfully launch SafeB9SInstaller, right? There's a way to launch GodMode9 instead.

Download the GodMode9.firm and rename it as boot.firm. Swap the current boot.firm on the SD card with the renamed GodMode9.

If you're able to access this, you should be able to recover your 3DS with CTRTransfer. * Assuming pre-installed sighax isn't required to launch GM9.

Step_1.png

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TurdPooCharger I got into gm9, should i just folow the ctrtransfer guide all the way through?
Back, I took a much needed sleep.

Yes, just select whichever old/new model series your 3DS is. You can change the region if you don't want to keep the firmware JPN. CTRTransfer should fix whatever that's bricked software-wise. Think of CTRTransfer like the 3DS equvialent of a Windows Recovery disc you pop in your computer when it doesn't boot anymore (like when you "accidentally" deleted the System32 folder kind of scenario).

ray3042

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@TurdPooCharger ive tried ctrtransfer and lazarus3ds and both dont work, you have any other suggestions?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@TurdPooCharger also most of the folders on the root are missing like the sysnand folders except for the sysnand virtual but its empty

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TurdPooCharger ive tried ctrtransfer and lazarus3ds and both dont work, you have any other suggestions?

@TurdPooCharger also most of the folders on the root are missing like the sysnand folders except for the sysnand virtual but its empty

Yah, I think the missing folders is due to needing to first apply sighax on the 3DS, which you can't do with SafeB9SInstaller. At this point, I'm out of ideas.

After looking through this:
if your JPN o3DS ?? was previously involved in a failed A9LH hack, you're now left with hardmod. :(

There is one to watch out for as it's not fixable is the MCU brick. If you see color changing LED, that's bad.

Sorry bud. Can you ask for a refund from the seller?

ray3042

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@TurdPooCharger its a japanese new 3ds, i dont think i can return it because i bought it knowing it wasnt working, also lazarus3ds was giving me a sha check failed error even though its there

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@TurdPooCharger have you used lazarus3ds before? i cant find any info on the sha check error aside from it being in the issues section on github

Last edited by ray3042,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TurdPooCharger its a japanese new 3ds, i dont think i can return it because i bought it knowing it wasnt working, also lazarus3ds was giving me a sha check failed error even though its there

Was this a special edition n3DS bought on the cheap?

Anyway, if it comes down to replacing the motherboard, you're looking at C $100.
No luck finding these hard to come by mobo elsewhere.

@TurdPooCharger have you used lazarus3ds before? i cant find any info on the sha check error aside from it being in the issues section on github
@ray3042, I have not. Lazarus3DS is usually reserved as 2nd to last ditch effort before hardmod. Were you able to find the required files to do Lazarus3DS? Because they're copyright material, the files can't be shared or directly linked on the forums.

If Lazarus3DS also didn't work, all you got left is hardmod.

ray3042

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@TurdPooCharger i bought it for 10 dollars, I thought Lazarus was a last resort before hard modding but there is almost no info about errors in lazarus. If it comes down to it im going to have to buy 2 because i have another 3ds i got for cheap, that I also couldnt get working

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Still a few hours left until I can go home and play some more Stellar Blade :'( +1