NTRBoot Released!

It's here!
ntrboot_checklist_2.png

Info

@Normmatt has created a way to run B9S .firm files from bootrom via a DSi Flashcard and a magnet! This works on every 3DS on any firmware version.

For installation without a PC, user @TheCyberQuake has created a pack which will automatically install B9S and copy over essential starter homebrew from the flashcard's SD to the 3DS's. This will mainly be used for PC-less B9S installations. If you have a PC with you, use 3ds.guide. Read more here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/481141/

How does this work?

This works because of a flaw in the bootrom. Before the bootrom boots the NAND, it checks to see if Start+Select+X is held down, and if the shell is closed. If these requirements are met, it will boot an NDS cartridge from the bootrom. This give that cartridge bootrom access. You might be wondering how you'd hold down buttons while the shell is closed, and why you need a magnet. If you put a magnet in a specific spot on the 3DS, it will go into sleep mode. Using this, you can boot the NDS cartridge with the buttons held down while in sleep mode! Using a reflashable flashcard, you can boot B9SInstaller using the flashcard, and easily install it on your 3DS.
The 2DS doesn't need a magnet since a switch puts it to sleep instead of a magnet.

What does this mean?

1. Any 3DS model on any firmware can be hacked with minimal effort
  2. You can unbrick any 3DS model from any type of brick.
    - Remember, you don't need a NAND backup for this. Just do a CTRTransfer.
    - This does not apply to MCU bricks.
  3. Even consoles with fried NAND, or even the NAND chip physically removed, can use this
This is incredibly impressive stuff, and will most likely be released soon! edit: now!

FAQ

Q: Can Nintendo patch this?
A: Nope! Not without a new hardware revision.

Q: My flashcard is blocked by my firmware! Can I still use this?
A: Yes! The flashcard blacklist is not enabled on the bootrom.

Q: Why can't this work with my flashcard?
A: The installation requires you to flash NTRBoot to the flashcard's nand. Most DS flashcards, such as the original R4, have a ROM, which is not flashable.

Q: Can I install NTRBoot on my flashcard without another 3DS system?
A: If you can run NDS roms on your 3DS with it, then yes. If it's blocked on your 3DS version, then you'll need another 3DS system to use it.

Q: Will my 3DS flashcard work?
A: No, only the NDSi flashcards listed above.

Q: Will any other flash cards work?
A: Only the ones listed in the OP. However keep in mind that flashcards such as the DSTT, Supercard DS2 and R4 SDHC Dualcore are planned to be supported in the future.

Q: I tried to do this with my cartridge and it didn't work?
A: It doesn't work with regular DS cards.

Q: Can I unbrick from a ____ brick?
A: Considering the card has access to the bootrom, yes! This can unbrick any brick (except MCU), unless you've taken a knife to the motherboard.

Q: Can I install B9S on the latest firmware with this?
A: Again, since the card has access to the bootrom, you can do this easily! Just plug in your flashcard, boot up using the magnet and button combination, and install.

Q: Does this work on the New Nintendo 2DS XL?
A: Yes!

:arrow: Release
:arrow: Guide
:arrow: Free NTRBoot Flashing
:arrow: Free B9S Installations

Here is SciresM's post about this

Please see SciresM's presentation on bootromhax.

Last edited by Deleted member 381889,

Jahhhhhh

Trophies
XP
Country
is there anyway to determine if the brick is MCU? also is it ok if I buy a bricked 3ds now? or should I wait before this methods gets released :D

D

Deleted User

Just because Normmatt said that he will begin working on the DSTWO does not mean it's compatible. It means that Normmatt is trying to make it compatible. Do not spread misinformation.
When did I say it was compatible?

I said Acekard 2i was compatible. Somebody else said DSTWO was compatible. I just said he was going to work on compatibility next time. Granted, looking back it looks like I implied it was compatible, I never directly stated it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

is there anyway to determine if the brick is MCU? also is it ok if I buy a bricked 3ds now? or should I wait before this methods gets released :D
The safest thing to do (if you were buying a bricked 3ds) is looking for a Blue Screen of Death brick. That one can be fixed

Reactions: Jahhhhhh
D

Deleted User

sorry, i know it has nothing to do with it, but if someone needs a dstwo card for this and they got gameboy flashcard laying around maybe it could help.
When this comes out, you should offer it up in WTT (Want To Trade) section. You have to hit a hundred posts before that tho

Diego788

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
wait, so if i buy a blue screen bricked 3ds on ebay, i can make it work with the flashcard?
if that is correct...

can i make it work without the flashcard after i install b9s?

D

Deleted User

wait, so if i buy a blue screen bricked 3ds on ebay, i can make it work with the flashcard?
if that is correct...

All information is still unknown. I would suggest not buying a Bricked 3ds until all information is given/exchanged.

You could get it working but we aren't sure about getting it working without Flashcard yet

Diego788

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
All information is still unknown. I would suggest not buying a Bricked 3ds until all information is given/exchanged.

You could get it working but we aren't sure about getting it working without Flashcard yet

hmmm, okay.. i'll wait for more information then

but... if it's a nand brick... maybe i can inject another nand with boot9strap and make it work :00000
what could be awesome to see

D

Deleted User

hmmm, okay.. i'll wait for more information then

but... if it's a nand brick... maybe i can inject another nand with boot9strap and make it work :00000
what could be awesome to see
Well, it says it can fix any kind of brick. I assume it's possible to inject a CTRNAND and then make it work, but I have a BSoD 2DS and I'll let you know how it goes (I installed the wrong sized NAND from the wrong console so if this works it should work for everyone).

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if that is correct...

This won't fix hardware issues, which blue-screen bricks generally are.

This can fix black-screen bricks like those that were caused by downgrading with the wrong files, installing A9LH with the wrong OTP, using Gateway in SysNAND mode with A9LH, and general stupidity done in SysNAND without A9LH. Basically, it can fix botched software issues.

SciresM

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This can fix black-screen bricks like those that were caused by downgrading with the wrong files, installing A9LH with the wrong OTP, using Gateway in SysNAND mode with A9LH, and general stupidity done in SysNAND without A9LH. Basically, it can fix botched software issues.

If you're seeing a blue screen, you can probably use ntrboothax/magnethax to "fix" it, though with truly, truly severe hardware damage beyond the norm you may be "tethered" in the sense that you'll need to hold the key combo/have the cart inserted every time you boot.

D

Deleted User

This is factually incorrect.

Blue Screen of Death bricks are usually related to NAND. It is a bootROM error because it can't load the NAND (usually from installing a different console's NAND or doing something stupid).

Where did you get your source for your information.

Also, sometimes a random BSoD can occur which can only be fixed by using a NAND dump and a hardmod. The most common BSoD brick is also NAND related

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If you're seeing a blue screen, you can probably use ntrboothax/magnethax to "fix" it, though with truly, truly severe hardware damage beyond the norm you may be "tethered" in the sense that you'll need to hold the key combo/have the cart inserted every time you boot.
Wait, so does this mean that by installing the wrong size of NAND, from the wrong console, my console is essentially Permabricked without the cart inserted?

Reactions: gamesquest1
D

Deleted User

That's not severe hardware damage. That's just a fucked up NAND. You'll be fine.
Oh thank heavens. thanks for doing all of this with the 3ds btw.

completely understated that but you have done an amazing job with everything. have of the user base would be bricked if you hadn't released B9S before derrek released sighax - even by a few hours

Reactions: hurrz

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I highly discourage people from thinking that they can just go buy any crappy broken 3ds and thinking this will magically fix it, unless you know the history of the console there is just as much chance the blue/black screen of death is due to hardware damage

But aslong your aware of the risk and willing to gamble your money on stuff I guess it's time to sell those wrecked 3ds's on eBay :evil:

Gizametalman

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
2013: Hey, this game, Cubic Ninja, get it!
People: Ugh, worst game I've ever played.
2015: Hey! You can use Cubic Ninja to hack your 3DS!
People: Dammit! The game went overpriced.

2016: Hey, I bricked my Nintendo 3DS, I'm selling it, its useless.
People: Ugh, not Worth it.
2017: Look! You can un brick any* 3DS System with a magnet and a flash cart!
People: Dammit! Bricked 3DS's went overpriced.

2015: Hey! Nintendo blocked my flashcart, I'm selling it.
People: Its not Worth it nowadays.
2017: I need a flashcard to unbrick my system!
People: Dammit! old flashcarts got overpriced.

Hmm... deja-vu?

Snooli

Trophies
XP
Country
Just regarding the what is fixable discussion.
Blue screen is caused by the 3DS not being able to read the NAND. So if you get a blue screen without an SD reader, your NAND chip is dead. This is not fixable without replacing the chip, however, this entrypoint should allow us to emuNAND everything thus bypassing the integrated NAND.
Black screen bricks are worse in that you don't actually know what is wrong, because as far as I know, MCU bricks blackscreen too. However, if you blackscreen due to a NAND issue, it is most like a working chip whit crap data on it. That would be fixable wihtout the need for permanent emuNAND.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: umm, That was fun to watch :)