Hacking NSMB, NTSC, Modchip... what am I doing wrong?

lixoman100

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello,

Sorry to bother you guys with a topic, but I don't know what am I doing wrong with NSMB (NTSC version, non-scrubbed ISO).
I have a NTSC Wii with a D2CKey chip that runs all my games burned on discs. I had updated it up to 4.1 through Nintendo servers and recently used DOP-Ios MOD to update all IOSes to the latest version and installed System Menu 4.2. I also added the trucha bug to IOS53 and IOS70, and I have cIOS r14 installed.

I burned myself two different discs with NSMB, one completely clean and another with the update partition removed on WiiScrubber and with the main.dol replaced with the NTSC one. I verified the main.dol I got by hand on an hex editor with the NTSC offset, it looks exactly as it should.

My results are:
1 - Putting in the clean disc shows a "disc update" on the disc channel, so I didn't try to start it.
2 - Trying to start the clean disc on NeoGamma r8Beta7 (using cios249) send me to a green screen for a few seconds, then sends me to a black screen, then to a "eject the disc..." and I have to force-shutdown the Wii (hold the power button for 5 seconds)
3 - Putting the patched disc on the system menu shows the game as expected, I click "start", it sends me to a black screen and I have to force-shutdown the Wii.
4 - Trying to start the patched disc on NeoGamma sends me to a green screen for a few seconds, then to a black screen and then I have to force-shutdown the Wii.

What am I doing wrong? Following that long topic and all the discussion let me do believe that I should be able to play the unpatched version on NeoGamma or the patched version having trucha-bugged IOSes 53 and 70, since I have a modchip. How do I fix this?

Thank you.

lixoman100

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I know people are having problems with Disc Loading but, from all that I have read so far, those problems only affect people WITHOUT modchips. I think I have done something else wrong.

Sefi

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a wiikey v1 and wanted to load off a disc like yourself. I started with a 3.4U wii, here's what I did to get it to work.

- updated via the disc channel with the untouched NSMB disc (took wii to 4.1U)
- ran trucha bug restorer (downgraded IOS15, patched IOS36, restored IOS15)
- installed cIOS r14
- installed neogamma r8 beta 11

With that done, I loaded up neogamma r8 11 via homebrew channel. I then put the patched NSMB disc in, told it to load from DVD, and HURRAY! It works without the piracy crap shutting the game down! I played for 25 minutes without any problems.

Hope this helps!

IcySon55

Leader of Fan Translators International
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sefi said:
With that done, I loaded up neogamma r8 11 via homebrew channel. I then put the patched NSMB disc in, told it to load from DVD, and HURRAY! It works without the piracy crap shutting the game down! I played for 25 minutes without any problems.
Is that the PAL patched disc? I haven't seen a guide to patching the NTSC ISO...

ysuki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know the solution but this is roughly what my Wii has with a WasabiDX in Zero mode. I was able to load the NTSC version by disc in a NTSC-U Wii.

1. 4.1 Wii then updated to 4.2 using zektor's guide. As for IOS70, I used xzxero's wad after 4.2 was installed successfully. cIOS r14 was left alone.
2. Shop updated to latest version (v18).
3. NSBMW (modified dol) didn't work after clicking start because of the eject message. I used DOP-IOS v8 to install a trucha patched IOS53. Game (with modified dol) now works through disc channel. I didn't remove the update partition because my Wasabi DX blocks all disc updates.

lixoman100

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I tried installing the update from the disc and burning a new patched disc with the update partition intact. No change.

I'm going to patch the trucha-bug again into IOS53 (since the update from the disc might have overwritten it) and if it doesn't work I'm going to try from Neogamma again. Gonna get the latest version, too.

Thanks for the help so far.

lixoman100

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I installed IOS53 again with the trucha bug, nothing changed.
I updated NeoGamma to R8Beta12, tried the unpatched disc, it goes to a green screen for a few seconds then hangs at a black screen.

I'm out of ideas. Anything else I could try?

Edit: new idea. NeoGamma R8Beta12 now give me a black screen on the unpatched copy, just like the disc channel does on a patched copy. This probably means that the NeoGamma I was using before only had the fix for the PAL version.

So the fixed game - either by main.dol on the disc channel or by unpatched via NeoGamma - just blackscreens me. It is not a matter of how it is fixed or how it is loaded.
The unfixed game just gives me a DRE right upfront before starting the game.

What could be intefering with it that does not allow the fixed version to work?

IcySon55

Leader of Fan Translators International
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I appear to have gotten it working. (Playing for a good hour now.)

Steps/Setup:
Started with my 4.1U Wii w/ WiiKey1 1.9s
Used DOP-IOS to update all (only those I actually have, no 4.2 stuff) outdated IOS to latest and patched IOS36, IOS53, and IOS60 (4.0/4.1 only) with trucha-bug.
Burned untouched NSMBWii NTSC ISO.
Burned brick blocked NSMBWii NTSC ISO as well. (BrickBlocker 1.3R2)
Launched using NeoGamma R8 Beta 12 and it works for both discs.

Working fine. Hope this helps someone.

Note: WiiKey 1.9s firmware when set to block updates is unable to block NSMBWii's system update.

P.S. Before doing the above, the brick blocked NTSC disc would fail after 8~10 minutes of play-time even running with NeoGamma. Will edit with results soon.

Hey guys, here are the results:

Brick Blocked NTSC Disc (using BrickBlocker 1.3R2):
Disc Channel: Fails.
NeoGamma R8: Working! (With above setup)

Untouched NTSC Disc:
Disc Channel: Can't test, will update my Wii. Will most likely fail.
NeoGamma R8: Working! (With above setup)

kwanying

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
From what i know D2Ckey chip can't run NSMB its stated in the chinese forum.
I also try out my both wii with wiikey v1, and d2ckey. D2ckey won't work sad but true.

Sefi

Trophies
XP
Country
I did it using the method I posted above with the NTSC-U version of the game, not the PAL version.

lixoman100

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah... my issue is probably the D2CKey. I'm sure I followed everything correctly in the different setups I have tried.

Thank you for informing me of the D2CKey issue.

I will probably take a look at USB loaders now, I guess. Any recommendations on where to start with that? Never used those things.

jetsjets

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone gotten this to successfully work with a D2Ckey?

I guess I don't understand how drive chips work, but shouldn't the main.dol fix work for all drive chips since that fix removes the copy protection?

Maybe I'm just having a hard time coming to terms with the idea that the D2Ckey is the only chip that is unable to load this game from the disc channel. I've never had a problem with running any games with the D2Ckey until now
frown.gif

shepe

Trophies
XP
Country
jetsjets said:

I guess I don't understand how drive chips work, but shouldn't the main.dol fix work for all drive chips since that fix removes the copy protection?

Maybe I'm just having a hard time coming to terms with the idea that the D2Ckey is the only chip that is unable to load this game from the disc channel. I've never had a problem with running any games with the D2Ckey until now
frown.gif

yeah but the fix also means that the disc is no longer signed by nintendo so you need the trucha bug in ios 53 and your sys menu as the newest ios that the game uses no longer has the fake sign bug unless you dop ios it. Apparently even retail nsmb will crash if you have a drive chip installed!

jetsjets

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shepe said:
jetsjets said:

frown.gif

yeah but the fix also means that the disc is no longer signed by nintendo so you need the trucha bug in ios 53 and your sys menu as the newest ios that the game uses no longer has the fake sign bug unless you dop ios it. Apparently even retail nsmb will crash if you have a drive chip installed!

From what I've read that's untrue. I haven't read anywhere that there are any issues with the retail disc under any circumstances. Where have you read that retail discs and drive chips don't play nice with each other?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • P @ PKNate:
    nope
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: 7 years by lukas graham, supermassive black hole by muse, and megalomania all have the same bpm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol stremio hogging all of my tvs on board ram
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just download more Ram to it, or setup Raid666 on it.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Morning
  • CooingMaxito @ CooingMaxito:
    Hello fellow stranger
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you mean I've known you since today
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: What do you mean I've known you since today