Hacking Noob requesting help on card purchase

JohnnyDeformed

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello, I am interested in getting a DS card. I came to this board because of wii modding and now I'm giving DS a try.

There are so many cards to choose from and I want to hear from this community which is the best on the market right now. I've heard good things about the new DSTWO. Since I'm new at this, I'd be interested in getting a kit or something with everything needed to get started. I'd also like to know where I should go to buy it, it has to be able to ship worldwide.

tl;dr please tell me where to buy ds cards and which one to get.
Thanks!

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you can afford it, get the DSTWO. It's also the most expensive though. Mainly popular because it has an additional processor which will allow it to play GBA games on a DSi. Also supports Real Time save.

If you want realtime save, but aren't worried about GBA, get the M3i Zero or DSONEi.

If you don't want realtime saves, get an Acekard 2i. It's cheapish, around $15.

If you only have a DS Lite or original DS and are fine with MicroSD cards 2GB or less, get the R4. It's costs $6 or less.

They can all play GBA games on a DS Lite or DS Phat using a 3in1 expansion pack, which costs an additional $15-$20.

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tk_saturn said:
If you can afford it, get the DSTWO. It's also the most expensive though. Mainly popular because it has an additional processor which will allow it to play GBA games on a DSi. Also supports Real Time save.

If you want realtime save, but aren't worried about GBA, get the M3i Zero or DSONEi.

If you only have a DS Lite or original DS and are fine with MicroSD cards 2GB or less, get the R4. It's costs $6 or less.

They can all play GBA games on a DS Lite or DS Phat using a 3in1 expansion pack, which costs an additional $15-$20.
I would go with the DSTWO. The Acekard 2 is kinda starting to suck (Infrequent updates of AKAIO, bad batches of 2.1s, contact problem, etc). A R4 is good if your OK with 2GB or less Micro SD Cards and thanks to Wood R4 it has very good compatibility.

JohnnyDeformed

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
tk_saturn said:

That sums up pretty much what I need to know thanks! I have a modded psp so all my emulation happens there, I am not interested in the GBA stuff. So this would be strictly for DS games. Quick question though, what is realtime save? is it simply save states?

Looks like R4 is the way to go for me, thanks again!

I still need to know where I should buy from.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
JohnnyDeformed said:
tk_saturn said:

That sums up pretty much what I need to know thanks! I have a modded psp so all my emulation happens there, I am not interested in the GBA stuff. So this would be strictly for DS games. Quick question though, what is realtime save? is it simply save states?

Looks like R4 is the way to go for me, thanks again!

I still need to know where I should buy from.

Never thought I'd hear that again. Try shoptemp and their about 6 bucks.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
JohnnyDeformed said:
Alright, thanks for all the swift replies. Going to Shoptemp right now.

What's the difference between Sandisk 2gb and kingston 2 gb card? I'm going to get the premium Flashing & Update Service.
You don't really need the premium flashing service for the R4, that's mainly for the Acekard 2i.

I have a pretty detailed guide on how to set it up yourself http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=227...=0#entry2841970 you're better off doing it yourself, as you'll have to update Wood when V1.09 comes out anyway.

The link to the R4 at ShopTemp is here There are several R4's and you need a specific one, it's the only one which runs Wood.

I doubt it makes much difference between the the 2 MicroSD cards, i'd probably get the Kingston.

JohnnyDeformed

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
tk_saturn said:
JohnnyDeformed said:
Alright, thanks for all the swift replies. Going to Shoptemp right now.

What's the difference between Sandisk 2gb and kingston 2 gb card? I'm going to get the premium Flashing & Update Service.
You don't really need the premium flashing service for the R4, that's mainly for the Acekard 2i.

I have a pretty detailed guide on how to set it up yourself http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=227...=0#entry2841970 you're better off doing it yourself, as you'll have to update Wood when V1.09 comes out anyway.

The link to the R4 at ShopTemp is here There are several R4's and you need a specific one, it's the only one which runs Wood.

I doubt it makes much difference between the the 2 MicroSD cards, i'd probably get the Kingston.
Alright thanks man, you saved me a few bucks.

And thanks to all who posted in this thread. I usually use the search function when I'm wondering about something so this is the first time I see how noob friendly this community is and I am grateful to everybody who posted
yaynds.gif

Speculant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was going to post the exact same thing as OP, so yeah I'm gonna get an original R4 and flash it with Wood R4 (I just got a DS Lite for free yesterday).

skx7

Trophies
XP
Country
a R4 with WoodR4 installed is the best solution price/quality wise. the limit of 2gb is more than enough. be honest, 95% of the NDS games are crap
rolleyes.gif

/me is a proud WoodR4 user
yaynds.gif

Speculant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sakax said:
a R4 with WoodR4 installed is the best solution price/quality wise. the limit of 2gb is more than enough. be honest, 95% of the NDS games are crap
rolleyes.gif

/me is a proud WoodR4 user
yaynds.gif

true that.

I think that the only reason someone would buy a flash cart with SDHC support is so that they could use their NDS as their main media player (for mp3s, movies, that sort of stuff).

Just for emulation, though, 2gb is more than enough.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.