Noob here - Gamepad Error 165-2738

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Shalashaska98, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Shalashaska98
    OP

Shalashaska98 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2018
    United States
    Hello, I'm on latest firmware using Haxchi. Everything was fine until I started getting the error code 165-2738 on gamepad not allowing it to be used. The Console on the other hand works fine.
    The codes are:
    Once I press and maintain the power button on the gamepad for a few seconds until it turns off (sometimes it turns off but the screen seems to be on just black background) then I press it the power button again for it to turn on, one of the following happens to the gamepad:

1- Turns on and works like a normally.

2- Turns on but then same error code appears.

3- It won't turn on and the led light (next to power button) becomes blue then fades. In this case the only solution I have found is to charge it a bit (the led light change to orange and remains on even if I unplug the charger) then turn it on. And sometimes I have to remove the AC cable from the console for a couple of seconds for it to turn on, or even remember the battery.

I am assuming that maybe it's due to interference with my phone, or wifi or maybe it's a mother board issue.

Any help is appreciated ♥️ I tried looking for the codes on Ninty website but nothing!! How come they don't have a list of all the error codes hopefully this won't require opening the gamepad or replacing parts.

Thanks in advance.

2. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    After looking around, I don't see that nintendo has any documentation on the error code you have listed. Though if it's a issue with the gamepad itself, probably is faulty. Have you tried resync the gamepad to the system?

Turn the system on. Then press the sync button twice (Red button next to the sd cover) The screen should display a pattern that your gamepad must input to complete the sync. If the wii u says the gamepad is already synced, it will ask you to wait a moment. At that time, reboot the system immediately to force a resync.

To be honest, I never had a issue with the gamepad or seen that error code.

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight, Jan 2, 2019
  3. Shalashaska98
    OP

Jan 17, 2018
    United States
    Not sure why my reply was posted twice.

Last edited by Shalashaska98, Jan 2, 2019
  4. Shalashaska98
    OP

Jan 17, 2018
    United States
    Yeah that's the issues I looked all over the net and found like 3 people asking the same question but without answers. I did indeed follow the steps you have stated in your answer but the problem will go for a while and it will come back randomly

5. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Have you tried using the system without the gamepad? Try removing the battery and see how long it last without a error. (Of course you would need another controller like the pro controller or wii remote) Only other suggestion is to try another gamepad and see if it works, if you can borrow one you can least deduct that it's the gamepad's fault or the system's fault.

Shalashaska98 likes this.
  6. Shalashaska98
    OP

Jan 17, 2018
    United States
    That's a good idea but not sure if i can borrow one. As for testing the gamepad, it's totally random hence I am not really able to do this. I mean sometimes I play without any issues, sometimes I get the error after 30min, some other times it happens when I turn it on. I suspect 2 things now (phone / wifi interference) or me not turning off the Wii U properly. Maybe you can advise me how to turn it off the right way. So I used to turn it off using the gamepad by pressing and holding the power button for a couple of seconds, or by pushing the power button on the console. But then I realized that in both cases the gamepad turns off but it looks like it's still on (meaning it displays a black screen but I can see that it's not turned off) then I have to press the power button again on the gampad for few of seconds for it to completely turn off. Would this be the reason it's causing this?

7. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    As long as the blue power button turns red on the wii u system without unplugging it or holding the power button longer than seven seconds, then you turned it off properly. In most cases, you would do that if the system becomes unresponsive.

Other than that, is hard to say much based on your situation. Maybe check to see if the system could be overheating, try cleaning the air vents on the system. :ninja:

8. Shalashaska98
    OP

Jan 17, 2018
    United States
    I'll do that thanks a lot. I'll also give ninty a call about the code, even if I know they will tell me to send it for repair and ask for $150 which is more than what I paid for my console.

Sonic Angel Knight likes this.
  9. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Got to compensate for the "Overly complicated, but underselling" systems some how. :P

Though I wish i can say the same, but I guess I should be glad that my console still works after buying it day one. :ninja:

Shalashaska98 likes this.