No Xbox 720 at E3, Microsoft confirms

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Midna, Mar 16, 2012.

Mar 16, 2012
  1. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    [​IMG] Source

Well, it looks like M$ won't be rushing anything out the door to meet the Wii U.
    And they're renewing their commitment to Kinect games and Windows 8 compatibility. Whoo, can't wait for 2014's Kinect Media Centre.

2. Valwin

Banned Valwin The Neautral Gamer

United States
    Welp i guess we wait till 2013 i guess nintnedo will get a 1 year head start

3. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    At least, actually. Consoles are not typically released the year they are announced at E3. I was pinning it for 2013 before this, but now I'm betting on 2014. And Sony has already said they'll be the last to release their console. Sheesh, a 2 year head start for the Wii U? Nintendo should be happy.

4. Janthran

Member Janthran Solarian

United States
    360 momentum
    lol I see what they did there

5. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    Normally consoles will have their own events other than E3.

6. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    >no talk of new Xbox hardware at E3 or anytime soon.
    I doubt they just meant they'd unveil it at their own event. That sounds an awful lot like "Nothing this year".

7. X_XSlashX_X

Member X_XSlashX_X GBAtemp Regular

United States
    YAY another Microsoft Press Conference where they show another 15-20 min demo of the next COD and whoring Kinect till where you just want them to shut up. Least they got Halo 4 to show so that'll be different.

1 person likes this.
  8. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    I guess Kinect marked the death of Microsoft's consoles.
    Tragic. I'll miss the controllers.

9. Skelletonike

Member Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    They pawned the Playstation ones. >.

10. X_XSlashX_X

Member X_XSlashX_X GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I pray Kinect did not show us the future for Microsoft and their consoles....

11. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    If there's going to be this much of a gap between the release of the Wii and Sony/Microsoft releasing theirs, that's going to be kind of awkward for the industry. Assuming that the new consoles contain significant enough improvements in their specs, it seems like everybody could end up playing catch up with each other every few years or so.

12. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    It will be a bit awkward. This will totally off-balance the old same-year release schedule that we had going for so many years.

But it's going to be brilliant for Nintendo. A two year head start will mean they can firmly establish their install base by the time the Xbox 720 is even announced. And it'll end up with the definitive console version of all the multiplats for a good while.

It's been speculated that the reason the 360 did so well is because it had a year's head start on the PS3. This is even more significant.

1 person likes this.
  13. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    even if a 1 year start, the wii completely destroyed it in sales and the ps3 (also released a year later) is right on its tail
    it didnt do well at all with the amount of time it had over the other 2

14. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    With this kind of a gap, if the PS3 and XBox360 get ports of what's on the Wii U, they'll be watered down much like what we've seen with the Wii vs PS3/XBox360 right now.
    However, it can go right back to the current scenario if those two new consoles are beefed up enough from the gap.

15. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Yeah, that's what's odd about all this. the Wii U will dominate for two years, and then get trumped in performance by the other consoles (Well, at least the PS4. M$ seems pretty focused on Kinect right now). I'm sure Nintendo's hoping their lead will be enough to overcome this, but I really have no idea. I suppose it depends how successful the Wii U is when it launches. The Wii somehow managed to get away with inferior hardware for the entire console generation.

16. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    the wiiu won't get trumped in performance by the other consoles since they'll all be pretty much almost identical to each other in speed, power and gfx. next gen is going to be very different than what we've been seeing for the last 30 years.

17. the_randomizer

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    You mean that Nintendo had their first party games focus on gameplay rather than over-glorified graphics?

2 people like this.
  18. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Well they can't wait to long, either for the wii u gaining too much momentum or Nintendo next console comes out. :lol:

I guess there a chance for mind change about the xbox 720 before this e3. :lol:

19. lostdwarf

Member lostdwarf GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    The WiiU is the first next gen system due out and it will have the whole market to itself for at least 2 years now, even if MS or Sony announce new consoles this year, they wont actually start selling them for up to two years after that! mental.
    So I am going to take a stab in the dark that both sony and microsoft will be comparing testicles at next years E3(might actually be a great E3)and it will be a year and a half to two years till they are on shelves and then another year untill anyone can afford them!

Nintendo have actually done pretty good here.

20. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Don't forget that the Kinect has been a very successful venture for Microsoft, so that doesn't mean their next console wouldn't be perform well.