Hacking Nintendont - wiimote & nunchuck support discussions

nakata6790

True Player
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
First of all some history: i'd like to remind people what a shitstorm had endued the first time NC support was asked, by many people (me included, multiple times) and on many occasions during nintendont's evolutions. Some of those people have been MIA btw ever since the beta started despite constantly asking until then.
It was made clear by FIX that he did not wish to do it (it is his absolute right) but he was open to a fork worked on by other devs, should they wish to do so. ShadowOne333 was kind enough to give it a shot, Abz created the first successful NC patch and Howard took it from there, working tirelessly to implement NC motion controls and even the holy grail of wii controls, IR aiming. If you took beta 1 from beta 10 and run them consecutively, the improvements that have been made would stun you. Not to mention a realtime button config change, from no less than 6 different configs, so you can choose whichever you like in game.

Secondly, donation goal was set for two reasons, see who really wishes a feature like this,so as to gauge interest and have a meaningful feedback from serious users: Howard has said that once the beta ends, all configs will be FINAL. So if anyone wants to have a say on how they evolve they can do now. Seeing the constant requests in the official topic about obscure games or even games that work perfectly with a slightly older revision than the latest, takes away time and effort that could be directed to making patches for games not yet working at all, say PSO or Smugglers Run, or GUN, or w/e. Now imagine having the NC talk and requests added to that! Devs would be swarmed with tens of different suggestions and requests. With the current system, once NC beta is ''perfected'' based on requests and feedback from this thread, it can then be included in the future nintendont releases as standard, so people will not add extra requests for that as well.

BTW if anyone here has a skrill account please pm me. I want to donate to Abz as well and i cannot atm due to not having a card.

P.S. Nintendont r2.184 fixed 007 Nightfire and 007 Agent Under Fire (they work brilliantly with the IR mod btw, 60fps & IR=pinpoint accuracy). From Russia with Love was mistakenly reported as working with r2.184., sorry 'bout that.

The paypal link on the first page somehow got messed up. The correct link is in my signature.
nakata6790 any idea idea how it got messed up and can you fix it?

Sorry i do not have a clue. I replaced the paypal link on the OP with the correct one.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

Drak0rex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone tested to see if third party/wireless nunchucks/adapters will work?
Also is there a minimum donation in order to become a beta tester?

rinajati

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Has anyone tested to see if third party/wireless nunchucks/adapters will work?
Also is there a minimum donation in order to become a beta tester?

1) I just tested my third party Wireless nunchuck and it works flawlessly right off the bat (didn't have to tinker with any settings or anything), and even plugin it mid game works just fine.

I tried it with F-Zero tilt option on the nunchuck for RL tilt, and no problems whatsoever.

Reactions: VinsCool

rinajati

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
First off, congratulate the original coders, and the ones carrying on this branch of the project, it shows great potential to breath fresh air into some old games. Thank you.

Now on to the dirty stuff:

I just finished reading my way through the thread so i have a (somewhat) more educated opinion.

1) It's my understanding that at least in the short term (unsure if this is bound to be changed in the future) there won't be a way to actually customize your control config (correct?) due to fear of users pretty much creating 400 support threads because they can't actually config a certain game to their liking.

2) If that is correct, can it be a way to add a config ini (please forgive my lack of knowledge regarding a correct method) to default the control scheme to the one that i want automatically (between the ones that are being offered) Example: If i launch "Super Mario Sunshine", and a certain file (ini, txt, etc) is present, default my control to "control scheme #4" instead of the "default control scheme" and disable the minus + button on the fly change if possible if those conditions are met. And if i launch say, "F-Zero" it defaults to a different control scheme of my choosing.

3) In line with the above, there are certain control schemes that can be created that are super efficient for a single game (Ikaruga for example), where you might not even need the nunchuck for a full control experience. I imagine the same can be true for certain car-racing games if tilt on the Wiimote is enabled.

4) This is more than anything a question; Is it manageable to map a button or a key combo/movement (for example a 360 Analog stick movement) to a mild/strong shake of the Wiimote? If that is the case you could in theory map something like the mario spin on Mario Sunshine to resemble the Wiimote shake of Super Mario Galaxy.

5) This is an even more absurd question, an even more limited usability related (somewhat) to the above: Is it possible to control a single player with two different inputs? Example, map a single button to any movement of wiimote 1, and map a single button to any movement of a secondary wiimote?
I'm thinking it would create a fabulous mapping for the Donkey Konga series if that's the case.

Again thanks for the hard work, i'll give it a proper tryout tommorow.

Reactions: Home_Rowed

Ramzee

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
1) It's my understanding that at least in the short term (unsure if this is bound to be changed in the future) there won't be a way to actually customize your control config (correct?) due to fear of users pretty much creating 400 support threads because they can't actually config a certain game to their liking.
AFAIK there will be no complicated customisation scheme. However the source code is open, so can be customised if you can compile you own versions.
2) If that is correct, can it be a way to add a config ini (please forgive my lack of knowledge regarding a correct method) to default the control scheme to the one that i want automatically (between the ones that are being offered) Example: If i launch "Super Mario Sunshine", and a certain file (ini, txt, etc) is present, default my control to "control scheme #4" instead of the "default control scheme" and disable the minus + button on the fly change if possible if those conditions are met. And if i launch say, "F-Zero" it defaults to a different control scheme of my choosing.
No, it's probably not worth time/hassle to save pressing minus + a button to switch configuration at the start of a game (plus for quite a few games the optimum configuration for the in game menu is different to the game it's self).
3) In line with the above, there are certain control schemes that can be created that are super efficient for a single game (Ikaruga for example), where you might not even need the nunchuck for a full control experience. I imagine the same can be true for certain car-racing games if tilt on the Wiimote is enabled.

4) This is more than anything a question; Is it manageable to map a button or a key combo/movement (for example a 360 Analog stick movement) to a mild/strong shake of the Wiimote? If that is the case you could in theory map something like the mario spin on Mario Sunshine to resemble the Wiimote shake of Super Mario Galaxy.

5) This is an even more absurd question, an even more limited usability related (somewhat) to the above: Is it possible to control a single player with two different inputs? Example, map a single button to any movement of wiimote 1, and map a single button to any movement of a secondary wiimote?
I'm thinking it would create a fabulous mapping for the Donkey Konga series if that's the case..
AFAIK the current objective is to add playable wiimote+nunchuck support to Nintendont, NOT create virtual Wii controller conversions of NGC games. The idea of using Wiimote shake and multiple devices is nice but IMHO would require a lot work for a feature few would want or need. The source code is open and available to those who would like to create special versions but the current focus (IMHO correctly) is fixing/patching unsupported games/features.
Again thanks for the hard work, i'll give it a proper tryout tommorow.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised how playable the 7 current configurations are. Howard and c/o certainly exceeded my expectations of what a playable Wiimote+nunchuck scheme could do.

Howard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wiimote WITHOUT nunchuck is a compleatly different thing from wiimote + nunchuck. It will require compleatly different code and compleatly different configurations. Lets keep this thread on topic. If you want start a new topic. In that topic make sure to include a list of game that will work with your sugested configurations.

I'm thinking it would create a fabulous mapping for the Donkey Konga series if that's the case.

I dont see why you would want to use 2 wiimotes to control 1 player. Donkey konga could be done with with wiimote + nunchuck. Maybe you have a different example?

Drak0rex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the minimum buy in? I want to offer my services as a beta tester, but cash is kinda low right now. I just don't want to donate too little and get laughed at :P

rinajati

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Wiimote WITHOUT nunchuck is a compleatly different thing from wiimote + nunchuck. It will require compleatly different code and compleatly different configurations. Lets keep this thread on topic. If you want start a new topic. In that topic make sure to include a list of game that will work with your sugested configurations.

Oh sure, wasn't sure how it worked/if it was in the realm of possibilities. I'll pm you the thread once i gather some intel.

I dont see why you would want to use 2 wiimotes to control 1 player. Donkey konga could be done with with wiimote + nunchuck. Maybe you have a different example?

I'm not sure if you are familiar with the game "Let's Tap" from Sega, it's a bunch of game modes based on basically putting the Wiimote on top of a plain ol' box and tapping the box lightly or strongly so the wiimote captures de vibration movement, it even features a sort of Donkey Konga mode and it works wonders.

I'd imagine it could work with a nunchuck too (specially if it's wireless) but the Wiimote feels way more natural for that sort of thing.

Either way a Donkey Konga motion Wiimote config would be swell, it's at least 3 games that use the same basic config (+ the Donkey kong jungle game that got ported to the Wii), so there's that.

Drak0rex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh sure, wasn't sure how it worked/if it was in the realm of possibilities. I'll pm you the thread once i gather some intel.

I'm not sure if you are familiar with the game "Let's Tap" from Sega, it's a bunch of game modes based on basically putting the Wiimote on top of a plain ol' box and tapping the box lightly or strongly so the wiimote captures de vibration movement, it even features a sort of Donkey Konga mode and it works wonders.

I'd imagine it could work with a nunchuck too (specially if it's wireless) but the Wiimote feels way more natural for that sort of thing.

Either way a Donkey Konga motion Wiimote config would be swell, it's at least 3 games that use the same basic config (+ the Donkey kong jungle game that got ported to the Wii), so there's that.
What about the clapping?

Troopage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Idk if anyone has said the same thing, but my dream NC controls are:
GC | NC
A | A
B | -
X | D-Right
Y | D-Down
L | Z
R | B
Z | C
C-Stick | IR
D-Left | D-Left
D-Right | D-Up
D-Up | 1
D-Down | 2

Seismonaut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hey,

So today I tested Geist, using naggers ir setting.
It seems to me that we still need a more sensitive horizontal axis, turning is pretty slow.. Also the deadzone (but thats from the game itself right?) is pretty large, so you have to move the wiimote quite a bit to get camera movement on screen.
Anybody confirm?

Also, the power reset doesn't work anymore? I just get a black screen after pressing Home instead of being taken back to the HBC. (maybe that's fixed in a newer revision)

Cheers, Seismo

nakata6790

True Player
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Geist is slow paced, try it with the CC as well it is not due to IR. Turning speed is a game thing.
At least you can aim precisely with IR which you cannot do with dual analog as well.
Also, i suggest trying a 60fps GC FPS game (Timesplitters 3, Timesplitters 2, Agent Under Fire, 007 Nightfire) with IR, you won't regret it ;)

P.S. Home exit works from my end

Seismonaut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Geist is slow paced, try it with the CC as well it is not due to IR. Turning speed is a game thing.
At least you can aim precisely with IR which you cannot do with dual analog as well.
Also, i suggest trying a 60fps GC FPS game (Timesplitters 3, Timesplitters 2, Agent Under Fire, 007 Nightfire) with IR, you won't regret it ;)

P.S. Home exit works from my end

What does CC stand for?
Well I can't aim that precisely because of the huge deadzone.. when I pass the deadzone it moves to fast to accurately aim. so I compensate that with moving the player left & right.
Tried Timesplitters 2, it's marvelous :)

Reactions: nakata6790

Drak0rex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just donated $1, Howard. If my money wasn't tied up in ebay auctions, I'd donate more, and plan to do so in the future. I would very much like top help you beta test your mod.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Surround sound receiver is a good $300
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, but so nice for gaming, movies.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ancientboi is old he needs Walmart PA system
    +2
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Splitter @ $39 it says. I'll consider it. Thanks
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Coupon makes it 30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My gaming stick can finally get use
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I did see Walmart got new electric scooters now ab won't run out of juice in the middle of the parking lot
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:O:O $12. Cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah but one two ports
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd rather spend like $15 more for double
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol hogwarts legacy has a Arachnophobia setting to turn on
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/bl2WTe7L-ts?si=NWkB17yWJeU8Whso