Nintendogs + cats worth buying?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by Smogen, Mar 10, 2011.

Mar 10, 2011

Nintendogs + cats worth buying? by Smogen at 8:06 PM (2,124 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Smogen
    OP

Newcomer Smogen Advanced Member

United States
    I have loved Nintendo games all my life but when they came out with Nintendogs on the DS I thought it was extremely stupid. I thought that it was the lowest point of casual gaming.

After seeing some of the gameplay videos I am sort of interested in the game now. I even feel sorta dumb for thinking that this might be a good title. I guess I am asking is nintendogs + cats actually worth buying? I usually like first party Nintendo titles but have no idea if this has any sort of replay value. Any comments about the franchise would be appreciated.

2. Shadowhunta

Member Shadowhunta GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    If you like playing with imaginary pets and such then yes its a good game and actually makes good use of the 3d! The customization of the first game was pretty awesome, this time its even deeper!

3. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    I played a DS one and got bored almost right away.

It really depends on if you like petting, washing, taking for a walk and playing with fake dogs. Oh, and picking up their faeces.

Some people love it, some people hate it. You wouldn't know until you try it.

4. Puppy_Washer

Member Puppy_Washer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    The game is, infact, much more than that.
    If you actually approach the game with a love of animals/dogs, and an open unbiased mind, then it's quite a fun game in my opinion.

Here's my summary of the game.
    PROS:
    - Yes, you pet, wash, walk, and play with "fake dogs", but you also teach them, and train them, to ultimately compete in competitions to make money, and buy items/more dogs.
    - Each dog has a different personality, and a reasonable amount of work is needed to make them obedient and profitable.
    - Watching your first puppy become a championship dog is satisfying.
    - There are plenty of items, secret items, and unlockables within the game.

CONS:
    - Somewhat repetitive gameplay, but varied dog personalities and breeds keep gameplay fresh. There are only so many times that you can wash your dog and enjoy it though.
    - You can only do several activities within a certain amount of time, somewhat like farmville (boo).
    - It is a fairly slow process to rank up in the game.
    - The game is aimed at the younger gamers, so don't expect any sort of extreme challenge, or mature themes.

But it comes down to preference in the end, whether you'll like the game or not.
    Hope this gives you more of an idea.

5. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    No, I recommend Samurai Warriors or Pilotwings.

6. Puppy_Washer

Member Puppy_Washer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    That's the other 2 games that I'm getting. [​IMG]

7. RNorthex

Member RNorthex GBAtemp Fan

Hungary
    imo it's not worth it, unless u really can't take care of a pet
    the whole point of taking care of a dog or a cat is that they have feelings which u can't see in a game, they are just 0 and 1-s with variables and consisting of command lines which [for me at least] defeats the purpose
    i have a raccoon and the difficulty is hard, but the graphics and gameplay are surely better [​IMG]

8. digipokemaster

Member digipokemaster Innocent Uke

United States
    i think im going to get it mainly because of the cats and that my family wont allow pets in the house so it (to me ) worth it