Gaming Nintendo WiiU

TerraPhantm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm calling Wii U price at $450 right now.
Guarantee you it won't be that much. $400 tops, and even that's pushing it IMO. Nintendo won't make the same mistake they did with the 3DS. The Wii sold like hotcakes despite being far inferior (technically) to the other consoles because it was a lot cheaper than the competition

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Guarantee you it won't be that much. $400 tops, and even that's pushing it IMO. Nintendo won't make the same mistake they did with the 3DS. The Wii sold like hotcakes despite being far inferior (technically) to the other consoles because it was a lot cheaper than the competition
Well we know the controller is expensive as hell already.

But Nintendo did learn a big lesson with the 3DS. You might be right. Iwata has only confirmed that it wil be over ¥20 000 ($250)

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hahaha.... no... Wii U will most likely be 24800 yen (same price as 3DS at launch). Nintendo won't go above $300.

The Wii U tablet will be expensive, but not THAT expensive... Probably in the $80~ range. Touch screens aren't nearly as expensive as they used to be and there aren't much more to the innards than a wii-mote/nunchuk with a touchscreen.

D

Deleted_171835

It seems to me that Nintendo is trying to differentiate their system with the controller instead of the technical specs (like they did with motion-controls on the Wii and the touch-screen on the DS). And the fact that pretty much every game revealed for the system right now are ports of games coming/that already came to the PS3/360 doesn't help.

I'm sure the WiiU will get multiplatform games (PS3/360) until the next console generation arrives. Then it'll be the Wii vs. PS3/360 all over again.

I'll be honest here, I hope Nintendo proves me wrong but based on what I've seen with the Wii and DS, it seems Nintendo has lowered their priority on the specs of the system and are busy focusing with new gameplay mechanics. Yes I know there are exceptions (Gamecube) but the last generation with the Wii struck a sour note. I just hope they don't end up skimping on the specs for the WiiU.
Despite not having the same amount of power, the ds and wii had it good games as well.

All the links say the exact same thing in different words. Did you read about the underclock dev kits or 50% more powerful?
If you ware watching e3 and after conferences , they already mention exclusive(also ones without titles) games for it.

He could be underselling or mistranslation. Don't you think he could be saying that because consoles
aren't going go that much higher in power that it unaffordable and the power really doesn't matters at that point.

Things change due time anyway.

If you so worry about power, spam Nintendo support about it. :lol: (Partly Serious)
How much are you willing to pay for a next gen consoles and it games?

I think if the ps4/720 going to make the wii u a wii then they will have a heavy price tag with the games and consoles (If not, it going to add even more to the games.)
I think ps4 is only going to make things look prettier to the wii u and wouldn't have any games that the wii u can't play.

I mean you matter well go to the PC if you are worry about looks.

If you reply, I'll continue in a PM if I have anything else to post.

This is what you are looking at.
[media]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=AacqQWurFqg[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=VwaCQHZV41A[/media]

Hard for me to find good pc videos that are not shooters...
Sure the Wii had good first-party games but in terms of third-party games, it was lackluster.

The underclocked dev kits don't really help prove your point. And the fact that it's apparently "50% more powerful" is nothing to run home about (assuming you can even gauge power from some vague statements).

I dunno, it's pretty clear as to what Miyamoto said.

“I don’t know that we would be able to sit here and say that it’s going to necessarily dramatically outperform the systems that are out now,” Miyamoto

He's neither confirming or denying whether the WiiU is much more powerful than the PS4/360. Either he's unsure about the specs right now or simply doesn't want to get people's hopes up.

And no, I don't think that's what he's saying. I'm not sure how you interpreted the statement as that.

The WiiU uses a last-generation Radeon. While that may be good now, I guarantee it's going to be overshadowed by whatever GPU the PS4/Ten is going to have.

Don't bother sending a PM as I don't give a crap about those. Might as well just reply in the thread considering that it's still on topic.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone who thinks the WiiU is going to be a big improvement over the Wii is going to be let down. Ignoring the new controller, it will be the same machine with a few updated components (faster CPU, higher capacity optical drive, HDMI video) but the same lame limitations

Who gives a rat's a^%? Less powerful hardware doesn't automatically make games suck that bad.
The Sega Genesis had a more powerful CPU than the Snes, but the Snes won the 16-bit console wars. Why? The games, that's why.

insufficient local storage

USB hard drives aren't that expensive, I only spent $70 on a 500GB USB 3.0 HDD

lack of an overall OS, no multimedia (DVD/BluRay) capabilities.

Boo-frikin' hoo, most people have one or two devices in their homes that play DVD/bluray discs anyway, so who gives a s#%t?

One thing I do think they'll add is support for external USB storage, similar to the XBOX360; in fact I wouldn't be surprised if the wii soon gets an update for the same thing...

Stop making asinine assumptions on how an unreleased console will suck just because it doesn't meet your needs. FAIL.

nickcage.jpeg

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It wouldn't surprise you if the Wii U had external USB support... just like it's already been stated by Nintendo it does? You my friend are a real fortune teller on that one :P

Lack of an OS? Wha...? You mean the pretty little front end that all current generation consoles have? Lack of media support? While Wii does have fewer options, it does have Netflix, Nintendo Channel, etc... so it's not completely without media options. Just ones you seem to value less. There is a difference though ;)

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure the Wii had good first-party games but in terms of third-party games, it was lackluster.
It may lack some multiple platform games, but 3rd party support isn't that bad as people(or more of the media) makes it out to be. Do you own a wii?
Tbh, I believe the "drought" on wii games, accelerated this wrongly view on the wii.
The underclocked dev kits don't really help prove your point. And the fact that it's apparently "at least 50% more powerful" is nothing to run home about (assuming you can even gauge power from some vague statements).
How do know it is not something to run home about? It may be enough power to the point is all we need for gaming for a while
until technology get cheaper and/or game prices greatly fall again. (We don't want our gaming to leave most of us homeless. :P)

“I don’t know that we would be able to sit here and say that it’s going to necessarily dramatically outperform the systems that are out now,” Miyamoto

He's neither confirming or denying whether the WiiU is much more powerful than the PS4/360. Either he's unsure about the specs right now or simply doesn't want to get people's hopes up.
Dramatically is subjective, therefor he could mean it may not be a jump such as ps2 -> ps3. Which ,iirc, Sony says it wouldn't be that big of a jump. Even then it surpasses it, so the wii u can have games the past gen consoles can't not. Which is actually reasonable since, price of games seem to rise as devs get more hardware to use. That and it may not be enough room or need for such a jump for gaming. So I ask again,how much are you willing to pay for gaming?
The WiiU uses a last-generation Radeon. While that may be good now, I guarantee it's going to be overshadowed by whatever GPU the PS4/Ten is going to have.
Do you believe they wouldn't update? Plus that only one component to the whole thing.
Don't bother sending a PM as I don't give a crap about those. Might as well just reply in the thread considering that it's still on topic.
ok...
Why do people except consoles to jump to PC-like power while having a low cost, lost cost games , or not have companies to find other ways such as
rip-off dlc and other stupid things that may effect the gaming experience.

Why do people think more power -> = better games. Even if it does in some cases, at what cost?
Do we even need such power?
Also why are some people so afraid or unwilling to play things differently?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do people except consoles to jump to PC-like power while having a low cost, lost cost games , or not have companies to find other ways such as

Why do people think more power -> = better games. Even if it does in some cases, at what cost?

You're absolutely right, if consoles had the same hardware PCs have now or in 2012, how can they be cheap? And why are all these graphics whores dissing on a console that hasn't even had its specifications released yet? And yet here they thinking they have the balls to do so. Better graphics does not equal better games (PS3's launch "game" Lair for example), especially when there's no balance between graphics>sound>overall gameplay. If graphics were everything, then the PS2 would have lost the last gen console war; in fact, it's hardware was the weakest of the bunch, so how did it win? Easy, the PS2 undeniably had the best library of games, massive third party support and, well, the games were awesome, despite having inferior graphics.

D

Deleted_171835

It may lack some multiple platform games, but 3rd party support isn't that bad as people(or more of the media) makes it out to be. Do you own a wii?
Yeah, I do. 3rd party support for the Wii was horrible, most of the good games released for it were from Nintendo.

The underclocked dev kits don't really help prove your point. And the fact that it's apparently "at least 50% more powerful" is nothing to run home about (assuming you can even gauge power from some vague statements).
How do know it is not something to run home about? It may be enough power to the point is all we need for gaming for a while until technology get cheaper and/or game prices greatly fall again. (We don't want our gaming to leave most of us homeless. :P)
Now, that's just a bunch of silly speculation.

Dramatically is subjective, therefore he could mean it may not be a jump such as ps2 -> ps3. Which ,iirc, Sony says it wouldn't be that big of a jump. Even then it surpasses it, so the wii u can have games the past gen consoles can't not. Which is actually reasonable since, price of games seem to rise as devs get more hardware to use. That and it may not be enough room or need for such a jump for gaming. So I ask again,how much are you willing to pay for gaming?
It is clear that he is saying that it won't be a large jump in power over current consoles, though. I think the definition of dramatically is pretty clear-cut among industry experts. The Wii had games that the Gamecube couldn't have had, that doesn't mean it was powerful. Yes, development costs will increase but that's a necessary ill. If you're going to bring up the point of 'more power increasing development costs' just look at the PC.

Do you believe they wouldn't update? Plus that only one component to the whole thing.
Considering the console is releasing next year, I find the chance of that happening slim. But one can hope.

Like I said above, the PC is the most powerful platform available right now and development costs are fine. If you're going to complain about how indie devs and other small companies won't be able to develop for it, realize the fact that no one is forcing them to max out the capabilities of the system.

More power allows developers to make better games. Without it, they're forced to work around the constraints of a system producing a game that may not be as they intended.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I do. 3rd party support for the Wii was horrible, most of the good games released for it were from Nintendo.
Not going list a bunch of good 3rd party games 'cause quite frankly I can remember all the games you have somehow miss,but

was that video was a good showing of 3rd party support or did somehow none of that appeal to you, so therefor it lack in 3rd party support?
Now, that's just a bunch of silly speculation.
And your words aren't? :P
It is clear that he is saying that it won't be a large jump in power over current consoles, though. I think the definition of dramatically is pretty clear-cut among industry experts. The Wii had games that the Gamecube couldn't have had, that doesn't mean it was powerful. Yes, development costs will increase but that's a necessary ill.
Which are like 10 dollars more than Gamecube and 20 dollars cheaper than the other consoles.
If you're going to bring up the point of 'more power increasing development costs' just look at the PC.
Like I said above, the PC is the most powerful platform available right now and development costs are fine. If you're going to complain about how indie devs and other small companies won't be able to develop for it, realize the fact that no one is forcing them to max out the capabilities of the system.

More power allows developers to make better games. Without it, they're forced to work around the constraints of a system producing a game that may not be as they intended.
The PC isn't using that power for real game development and just using it to make the games look "prettier"and when porting down from the pc (with consoles that don't really need changing to run the game), nothing change, but slight looks.

If a game made from scratch using all the power of 2012-13 pc tech to make the game significantly bigger (in anyway) then just adding it in to make them prettier then game prices will likely rise. I didn't believe making a open world (without loading into a different map) significantly bigger than Skyrim isn't necessary or even worth it game play or price wise.

D

Deleted_171835

Not going list a bunch of good 3rd party games 'cause quite frankly I can remember all the games you have somehow miss,but

was that video was a good showing of 3rd party support or did somehow none of that appeal to you, so therefor it lack in 3rd party support?

No, the video didn't really help your case. Had a bunch of shitty third-party games along with good first-party games. For every good third-party game on the Wii, there's at least 10 others for the PS3/360.

It is clear that he is saying that it won't be a large jump in power over current consoles, though. I think the definition of dramatically is pretty clear-cut among industry experts. The Wii had games that the Gamecube couldn't have had, that doesn't mean it was powerful. Yes, development costs will increase but that's a necessary ill.
Which are like 10 dollars more than Gamecube and 20 dollars cheaper than the other consoles.
And where are you pulling these numbers from?

If you're going to bring up the point of 'more power increasing development costs' just look at the PC.

The PC isn't using that power for real game development and just using it to make the games look "prettier"and when porting down from the pc (with consoles that don't really need changing to run the game), nothing change, but slight looks.

If a game made from scratch using all the power of 2012-13 pc tech to make the game significantly bigger (in anyway) then just adding it in to make them prettier then game prices will likely rise. I didn't believe making a open world (without loading into a different map) significantly bigger than Skyrim isn't necessary or even worth it game play or price wise.

You must have been living under a rock for the last couple of years. One notable game, Battlefield 3 has 64 player multiplayer and larger maps only on the PC. Crysis didn't come to consoles until a couple years later and the graphics were downgraded. If you're wondering why most multi-platform games don't look significantly better on PC, it's because developers make the games for consoles and port them over to the PC. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you probably haven't played a single resource-intensive PC-exclusive game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: