Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Wii_Manic, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Wii_Manic
    OP

Wii_Manic GBAtemp Regular

Feb 2, 2009
    UK
    As I have a WPA-TKIP internet connection, I cant play DS games online. I am thinking about buying a Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector but they can cost from £30-50. I found the Wiki on it and its says "The Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector is a re-branded Buffalo WLI-U2-KG54-A" so I found them and they cost around £15 pounds.What I was wondering is if the Buffalo would work with the Nintendo Software?

Thanks

2. kobykaan

kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

Aug 27, 2007

Or as your in the UK goto CEX and get one for £12 link [​IMG]

you can also buy online from that link [​IMG]

The downside is you cannot use them as they are for homebrew that uses online ..although you can convert them to a softapp wifi basically turn them into a normal usb wifi adapter which you could probably buy one anyway!? Its down to you really [​IMG]

3. Wii_Manic
    OP

Feb 2, 2009
    UK
    Thanks for the reply will look into it!

4. Wii_Manic
    OP

Feb 2, 2009
    UK
    Can anybody tell me how I would use the Nintendo Wi-Fi adaptor as a standard Wi-Fi dongle?

Also can I use my laptop, PSP ect with in access point mode or would I have to hack it? If So How?

Thanks

5. nicky041192

nicky041192 GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 9, 2008
    UK
    im not sure thats possible with that dongle. HOWEVER, i believe that Datels dongle works with the psp+ds.

hmv sell nintendo wifi dongles (manchester arndale centre). i didnt see the price. i should imagin they are aroun £25.

6. GamerOnHere

GamerOnHere Member

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2009
    United States
    I am not 100% sure, so I was wondering, if I have a wired connection, (no Wi-Fi) will the USB Adapter create Wi-Fi for my DSi and DSL, or is it just one of those things which finds a wireless router, connects to it, and then gives you the wireless router's connection?
    If what I say is confusing, tell me, and I'll explain it.

7. DeMoN

DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

May 12, 2004
    United States
    This guide tells you how to hack a Nintendo WiFi connector: http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/file/925329/40161
    I'm not sure if I understand your second question correctly, but if you hack a WiFi dongle, it should allow your PSP and other computers to connect to it.
    However, you cannot connect your DS to a laptop or PSP, since the DS does not support ad-hoc connections. (This is explained in the FAQ too)

If you want to take the easy way out, here's a product you can buy: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3345
    It's a WiFi dongle that supports Wii, DS, PS3, and PSP.

The purpose of the USB adapter/WiFi dongle is to convert a wired internet connection into a WiFi access point, so the first thing you said is correct.
    However, the second thing you said is true too, and it's useful if you have a WPA/WPA2 security wireless router.

8. GamerOnHere

GamerOnHere Member

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2009
    United States
    Ohhhhhhhhhh.................... Thanks DeMoN!
    P.S. Did you write that guide????

9. Wii_Manic
    OP

Feb 2, 2009
    UK
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice