Hardware Nintendo switch wont charge (BQ24193 chip changed)

Agilato

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,
I opened console find out that fuse 6 section K was blown,
jumped around with multimeter find out that BQ24193 in shorted, replaced it from a donor board short is gone.
now with a "good known" battery switch turns on but doesn't have charge, it's even turns on without a battery(what actually surprised me) just showing a logo and then battery icon without "charge lightning"
USB tester shows that when switch turned off it's takes 0-Amps, after i hit a button it jumps to 0.47-Amps even when switch is turned on. By touch nothing is heating on the board.

M92T36 readings:
Pin-5 shows 5v(for me looks a bit hight i usually read 3v+-)
Pin-6 shows 3.2v only when console is on

Thanks!

Last edited by Agilato,

Agilato

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is hekate info. When i turn it on with good battery it's shows like charging.
But when it's turned off has 0Amps

Attachments

• 20190621_203257.jpg
    20190621_203257.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 328

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Check for shorts, and your chips orientation.
Check continuity between pins,
How do you know it was the chip was broken? are you sure it isn't the port?
Also you have to replace blown fuses for stuff to work..... also how did the fuse blow?

Agilato

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check for shorts, and your chips orientation.
Check continuity between pins,
How do you know it was the chip was broken? are you sure it isn't the port?
Also you have to replace blown fuses for stuff to work..... also how did the fuse blow?

1) BQ24193 - was replaced because of capacitors under were shorted i removed them 1 by one but short was still there, after chip replacement short is gone.
2) I replaced fuse from a donor.
3) I checked port under the microscope looks brand new.
4) I though that may be because M92T36 doesn't have stand-by on a Pin-6 (3.2v) before start, it was faulty and was replaced also, but board has same behavior.

One thing i noticed i don't have 3v on test pin 3 zone L

Thanks!

Attachments

• Switchre_side2.jpg
    Switchre_side2.jpg
    793.8 KB · Views: 373
Last edited by Agilato,

DeoNaught

Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
well if it's supposed to have 3v, and doesn't have anything, you could try reflowing your chip, did you clean your board with Ipa (I use like %90 or something high) after soldering it?

is the Cap one that needs a proper orientation?

Agilato

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well if it's supposed to have 3v, and doesn't have anything, you could try reflowing your chip, did you clean your board with Ipa (I use like %90 or something high) after soldering it?

is the Cap one that needs a proper orientation?

Yes, board was cleaned with 99% IPA and chip under the microscope looks perfectly soldered....
If some one will give me a hint were those 3v on test pin 3 zone L should come from....

Those are regular tantalum capacitors, not sure if they should be placed based on polarization....

Last edited by Agilato,

DeoNaught

Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Those are regular tantalum capacitors, not sure if they should be placed based on polarization....
Nope those don't need a correction orientation I'm pretty sure

Check the trace where 3v should be coming from, use a multimeter with continuity to make sure(with it off obviously)

Agilato

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Traces are looking fine... i have guess that this 3v are generated by BQ24193 but probably after some specific signal on specific pin on the chip... ill try to replace it with a new one, may be chip from a donor was bad initially...

Agilato

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Turned out that one of the multi layer trace(under BQ capacitor) was messed up... had to dig 3 layers deep to find a break... + i had to change the battery, previous had very high voltage in it, close to 5v, usually it's around 3.8, i thing may be that was the real reason why trace, BQ and a fuse were fried. Now console has 1.4Amps (that still looks quiet low for me it should be around 1.7-1.8) on charge and 0.46 when it turned off, some times it has weird behaviors with amount of Amps it draws or charges a bit slower but over works fine, in portable and docking mode... Will keep it for software experiments...

Last edited by Agilato,

Agilato

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fuck dude lol, how did you mess up an internal layer?

I would like to know... again my guess is that may be because of high voltage, it is not a coincidence that BQ and a Fuse were blown and as i merged this is 5v line

Or may be i am just suck at soldering... who knows feels like i got very lucky to get it up and running at all...

Last edited by Agilato,
Reactions: DeoNaught

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.