Nintendo Switch Reveal

NintendoSwitch_hardware.0.0.jpg
Nintendo has finally decided to show off their new "home gaming system", code-name NX. It's time to see what Nintendo has up their sleeves and put all the rumors to rest.
GBAtemp will covering the announcement and the OP will be updated as new information rolls in from the preview. Remember, the video starts at 9AM Central Standard Time, so be sure to watch, and discuss your thoughts here!

:arrow: Nintendo Official Site
Trailer

It's called the Nintendo Switch. Rumors are true, it's a tablet with connectable buttons that you can play at home and on the go. Console Controller looks similar to the Xbox One's. Has small little remotes and supports multiplayer. NBA game being shown. 3D Mario title. When you connect the portable controllers the system goes from console to portable. Skyrim and Splatoon shown. Still coming March next year.

Press Release
Detachable Controllers Reinvent Gaming

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- In an introductory video released today, Nintendo provided the first glimpse of its new home gaming system and revealed that it is called Nintendo Switch. In addition to providing single and multiplayer thrills at home, the Nintendo Switch system also enables gamers to play the same title wherever, whenever and with whomever they choose. The mobility of a handheld is now added to the power of a home gaming system to enable unprecedented new video game play styles.

At home, Nintendo Switch rests in the Nintendo Switch Dock that connects the system to the TV and lets you play with family and friends in the comfort of your living room. By simply lifting Nintendo Switch from the dock, the system will instantly transition to portable mode, and the same great gaming experience that was being enjoyed at home now travels with you. The portability of Nintendo Switch is enhanced by its bright high-definition display. It brings the full home gaming system experience with you to the park, on an airplane, in a car, or to a friend’s apartment.

Gaming springs into action by removing detachable Joy-Con controllers from either side of Nintendo Switch. One player can use a Joy-Con controller in each hand; two players can each take one; or multiple Joy-Con can be employed by numerous people for a variety of gameplay options. They can easily click back into place or be slipped into a Joy-Con Grip accessory, mirroring a more traditional controller. Or, if preferred, the gamer can select an optional Nintendo Switch Pro Controller to use instead of the Joy-Con controllers. Furthermore, it is possible for numerous people to bring their Nintendo Switch systems together to enjoy local multiplayer face-to-face competition.

“Nintendo Switch allows gamers the freedom to play however they like,” said Reggie Fils-Aime, President and COO, Nintendo of America. “It gives game developers new abilities to bring their creative visions to life by opening up the concept of gaming without boundaries.”

Developers can design their games supporting a variety of play styles, which gives gamers the freedom to choose an experience that best suits them. Some of the publishers, developers and middleware partners announcing support for Nintendo Switch are as follows:

Companies that will support the Switch
505 Games
• LEVEL-5 Inc.
• Activision Publishing, Inc.
• Marvelous Inc.
• ARC SYSTEM WORKS Co., Ltd.
• Maximum Games, LLC
• ATLUS CO., LTD.
• Nippon Ichi Software, Inc.
• Audiokinetic Inc.
• Parity Bit Inc.
• Autodesk, Inc.
• PlatinumGames Inc.
• BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.
• RAD Game Tools, Inc.
• Bethesda
• RecoChoku Co., Ltd.
• CAPCOM CO., LTD.
• SEGA Games Co., Ltd.
• Codemasters®
• Silicon Studio Corporation
• CRI Middleware Co., Ltd.
• Spike Chunsoft Co., Ltd.
• DeNA Co., Ltd.
• SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD.
• Electronic Arts
• Starbreeze Studios
• Epic Games Inc.
• Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.
• Firelight Technologies
• Telltale Games
• FromSoftware, Inc.
• THQ Nordic
• Frozenbyte
• Tokyo RPG Factory Co., Ltd.
• GameTrust
• TT Games
• GRASSHOPPER MANUFACTURE INC.

• UBISOFT
• Gungho Online Entertainment, Inc.
• Ubitus Inc.
• HAMSTER Corporation
• Unity Technologies, Inc.
• Havok
• Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
• INTI CREATES CO., LTD.
• Web Technology Corp

Screens
ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.18.41).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.19.46).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.20.07).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.20.18).jpg

ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.20.44).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.21.03).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.21.24).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.21.54).jpg

ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.22.08).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.22.24).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.22.36).jpg ss+(2016-10-20+at+09.23.16).jpg
It will be powered by a custom Nvidia Tegra chip.
Nintendo Switch is powered by the performance of the custom Tegra processor. The high-efficiency scalable processor includes an NVIDIA GPU based on the same architecture as the world’s top-performing GeForce gaming graphics cards.

:arrow: Nvidia Blog

:arrow: Nintendo Switch Site

aCvN5gD4VMAA0FCh.jpg aCvN5gEIVIAAOcAA.jpg aCvN5gEmUMAAx8nb.jpg aCvN5gEZUAAAzayg.jpg

Nintendo First Look
The detachable controllers are called Joy-Con controllers.

Gaming springs into action by removing detachable Joy-Con controllers from either side of Nintendo Switch. One player can use a Joy-Con controller in each hand; two players can each take one; or multiple Joy-Con can be employed by numerous people for a variety of gameplay options. They can easily click back into place or be slipped into a Joy-Con Grip accessory, mirroring a more traditional controller. Or, if preferred, the gamer can select an optional Nintendo Switch Pro Controller to use instead of the Joy-Con controllers. Furthermore, it is possible for numerous people to bring their Nintendo Switch systems together to enjoy local multiplayer face-to-face competition.

“Nintendo Switch allows gamers the freedom to play however they like,” said Reggie Fils-Aime, President and COO, Nintendo of America. “It gives game developers new abilities to bring their creative visions to life by opening up the concept of gaming without boundaries.”

Developers can design their games supporting a variety of play styles, which gives gamers the freedom to choose an experience that best suits them. Some of the publishers, developers and middleware partners announcing support for Nintendo Switch are as follows:

:arrow: Nintendo Site

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is a joke, right? There's quite a few reasons why the original Macintosh and the TI-89 calculator can't run Genesis games even though they all have the same CPU, and it's not because of "lack of effort".

Comedy option: The Apple LaserWriter printer also has a 68000. Is there no Genesis emulator for that because of "lack of effort"?
You are implying their silicon is nearly identical, same range of power, other components, etc.
@GerbilSoft Also a direct port is required on similar hardware.

Last edited by Yil,

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same archtecture. Does the calculator runs on the same power budget as apple macintosh or sega genesis? Or the same die size, and completely same performance?
I think you're missing the point.

I used this example to say that nVidia claiming the Switch uses the "same architecture" as their high-end cards doesn't mean it will be identical to their high-end cards. The Genesis example was to show three systems that all use the same CPU (MC68000) but have a completely different range of performance and functionality.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

player594

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I used this example to say that nVidia claiming the Switch uses the "same architecture" as their high-end cards doesn't mean it will be identical to their high-end cards. The Genesis example was to show three systems that all use the same CPU (MC68000) but have a completely different range of performance and functionality.
And do you think it will not be as powerful? Because it's Nintendo, or because nvidia didn't use the wird "exact"?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

You are the one implying the other two should be able to handle sonic the hedgehog just cause they use the same generation of some architecture and today they are well differentiated. AMD's a57 server chip uses more power than a typical 8 a57 board just with a single core.
No one is saying that the tegra x2 is faster than gtx 750 ti, let alone 1050 and beyond (However a gtx 1060 at 600MHz is faster and can be managed within a much lower budget thanks to power management).

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are the one implying the other two should be able to handle sonic the hedgehog just cause they use the same generation of some architecture and today they are well differentiated.
The exact line I said: "As an example, the original Macintosh and TI-89 calculator both have the same CPU as the Sega Genesis, but good luck trying to play Sonic on that." If you think this means I'm saying you can play Sonic on a TI-89 just because it has the same CPU, you may want to retake English 101.

And do you think it will not be as powerful? Because it's Nintendo, or because nvidia didn't use the wird "exact"?
I didn't say it "won't be as powerful". I said that simply having the same architecture as the high-end model does not mean it's going to be the high-end model.

What's next, is someone going to complain that Switch doesn't have an ARM CPU because ARM is used for laggy cell phone games, and then when I point out that 3DS has an ARM, that I'm lying and trying to claim 3DS is a cell phone?

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The exact line I said: "As an example, the original Macintosh and TI-89 calculator both have the same CPU as the Sega Genesis, but good luck trying to play Sonic on that." If you think this means I'm saying you can play Sonic on a TI-89 just because it has the same CPU, you may want to retake English 101.

I didn't say it "won't be as powerful". I said that simply having the same architecture as the high-end model does not mean it's going to be the high-end model.

What's next, is someone going to complain that Switch doesn't have an ARM CPU because ARM is used for laggy cell phone games, and then when I point out that 3DS has an ARM, that I'm lying and trying to claim 3DS is a cell phone?
It sounds like you are being sarcastic.
As far as I know android is much less laggy than win 10. I once had a x86 tablet, does that make it a pc?

Last edited by Yil,

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LMFAO You sir are riot. By your logic a Windows 10 tablet is the same as an antikythera mechanism.
An x86 tablet with standard BIOS/UEFI that allows for any OS to be installed is definitely a PC.

On the other hand, an x86 tablet that's locked down to only run worthless apps is not a PC; it's a toy. (I don't know if there are any x86 tablets like this; there are definitely locked-down ARM tablets, though.)

Last edited by GerbilSoft, , Reason: -most
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

player594

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. I really don't see how that follows from what I said.
Your saying a tablet is a computer. It's not really, it more of a personal media device. Your not going to sit down and write out complex programs on it when its eaier to use an actual PC.

Last edited by player594,

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Your saying a tablet is a computer. It's not really, it more of a personal media device. Your not going to sit down and write out complex programs on it when its easier to use an actual PC.
So your definition of PC is "comfortable to use"?

Reactions: zezzo

player594

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My point is. The Switch is a game console with portability. Chips designed for it are not the same as for computers. That does not mean it's not going to be powerful. They are optimized for the software that they are going to be used with. Programming changes over the years. You can even run a Windows like variant in a web browser. Be it an old Windows version but still.
Come January we will find out what the Switch is working with and whether or not it will be up to the power hungry fools standards or not. If it's not to of the line probably not. I could care less as long as the games are fun.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1