Hardware Nintendo Switch performance over time

jorgesd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
East Timor
Hi!

I want to know if the console performs worse over time. I mean if i play smash ultimate in a console purchased in Febreary 2018 will it be performing the same as a console bought in december 2018?
Do you feel taht your console is performing worse on games over time or it is the same? like low fps or drops.
sorry if this thread is too obvious but i'm not a consoles boy and i want to be sure if this happens often in consoles (nintendo consoles to be specific).

thanks

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
While I'm no expert on hardware, I don't think the Switch would just slow down and start performing worse, especially after only a handful of months. Perhaps if you really, really, use your Switch a lot, you might run into a very minimal loss in maximum battery life, but that could be said for every electronic with a rechargeable battery.

orangpelupa

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Hi!

I want to know if the console performs worse over time. I mean if i play smash ultimate in a console purchased in Febreary 2018 will it be performing the same as a console bought in december 2018?

yes

Do you feel taht your console is performing worse on games over time or it is the same? like low fps or drops.

generally? yes and no.

as switch gets older, developer will be able to understand it more and optimize more, resulting in even heavier games. Depending on their priority, it can run much worse or better than the games we have today.

Nintendo also can decrease the resources reserved for system (or develop the system to be heavier), without properly optimizing the system, resulting in lower and lower system performance. You already can experience this in a console from Sony: PlayStation 4. Where the system performance keeps getting slower and slower. In some cases, it goes super slow, the system will take almost 1 minute just to show a notification after you press SHARE button (Titanfall 2, Destiny 2, etc).

Reactions: jorgesd

orangpelupa

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
The fan might get louder if/when dust builds up inside or just as it gradually wears itself out.

i wonder, generally how many years before switch fan makes any problem.

1. it spins slow
  2. its environment is relatively cool (compared to the usual PC fan, tablet fan, etc)
  3. it have pretty confusing gravity when used in handheld mode

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
If anything, games should perform better over time provided that developers release optimisation updates and consistently support their software. The only situation I can see where games perform worse is due to bad updates to games, major changes to the OS, or hardware failures. Oh, and load times might get slightly longer as the micro SD card fills up, but this shouldn't affect things like frame rate.

garyopa

Admin @ MaxConsole
Trophies
Website
www.O-P-A.biz
XP
Country
Canada
Only 4 things will occur:

#1 - Weak battery, over time.
#2 - Dead Pixels on screen, again over time.
#3 - Heat Paste drying out, again over time.
#4 - Fan, Dirt, Dust, Etc. -- Clean it like you do already with your desktop PC's and Nvidia GPU's. :)

#1 - is easy to solve, you can already buy replacement batteries on the internet (search Aliexpress)
#2 - Dead pixels, very rare, but if you have more than 3 in row, Nintendo will replace it for you (and update your firmware at the same time).
#3 - Heat Paste easy to redo yourself, just need to do some searching and reading tutorials, but not an major issue on the Switch, unless you into 'overclocking' the GPU all the time! :)
#4 - Good house-keeping, and you should be fine! :)

jorgesd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
East Timor

#4 - Fan, Dirt, Dust, Etc. -- Clean it like you do already with your desktop PC's and Nvidia GPU's. :)

#1 - is easy to solve, you can already buy replacement batteries on the internet (search Aliexpress)
#2 - Dead pixels, very rare, but if you have more than 3 in row, Nintendo will replace it for you (and update your firmware at the same time).
#3 - Heat Paste easy to redo yourself, just need to do some searching and reading tutorials, but not an major issue on the Switch, unless you into 'overclocking' the GPU all the time! :)

#1 Yup, changing battery is very easy and can be easily found in aliexpress.
#2 Well, i'll see since i dont this issue and i'm not from USA.
#3#4 Well i can try opening and aplying some paste and i always keep my switch in its case.

orangpelupa

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia

#4 should relatively less of a problem on switch due to the super slow fan, i think.

anyway, you are the same dude from PSX-scene / hax forum from many many many many years ago? O_O

garyopa

Admin @ MaxConsole
Trophies
Website
www.O-P-A.biz
XP
Country
Canada
#4 should relatively less of a problem on switch due to the super slow fan, i think.

anyway, you are the same dude from PSX-scene / hax forum from many many many many years ago? O_O

yes, xianiax, to ps2-ownz, to psx-scene, to xboxhackerbbs, to xbox-scene, to maxconsole -- i am all around, admin of everything scene related! -- Thanks for remembering me! :)

In the Scene since 1979 and on the WWW 'internet' (which started around 1996) -- Before that I was on Delphi, Fidonet, CRS, Starnet, and other multi-line dial-into mainframes networks, and ran my own TI-TOWER BBS also, starting at 1200baud all the way up to 9600baud ! <-- took forever to download warez then! :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I could claw back 14tb by only doing 2 parity disks but I feel like with 13 disks in the RAID...