Nintendo Switch Lite - Joycon Drift

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by Jiehfeng, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Jiehfeng
    OP

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Where my feet lie on the ground

Timestamp: 2:20

By that, it's safe to assume nothing regarding the analogue sticks have changed, therefore there will still be drift issues with this system. There's free repairs yes, but not if you live in those countries that the world revolves around. /s
    If it is fixed, you bet they'd claim proudly as so.

Other notable differences as the video suggests is that it doesn't have auto brightness, and the surface is more rough in comparison which means less of those fingerprint marks on the back.

fanheavy and Reynardine like this.
  2. Reynardine

Reynardine Wrote in ancient letters, my name is Reynardine

Aug 14, 2018
    Germany
    Negativland
    To put it bluntly, that sucks...

I was hoping for a miracle, but the hardware was probably long finished before they even started to take the drifting issues seriously.
    I have a feeling that my Lite will fail two to three months after the warranty expires, it's always been like that.

Last edited by Reynardine, Aug 27, 2019 - Reason: typo
    Jiehfeng likes this.
  3. Jiehfeng
    OP

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Though it's just an issue with the sticks. Can't they have just made a slightly bigger analogue stick or analogue stick design?

Reynardine likes this.
  4. HiroshiYamauchi

HiroshiYamauchi GBAtemp Regular

Jan 30, 2008
    Brazil
    I doubt it. Doing so would be just like admitting that all the previous units were defective, Nintendo would never do that.

5. Jiehfeng
    OP

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Yet they are giving a free service to repair joycon drift. Free. They indirectly admitted it, and they know the hate they're getting regardless. Claiming so if it is fixed would be in their best interests, or at least something that very much sounds like it.

6. Reynardine

Aug 14, 2018
    Germany
    Negativland
    The could have. The could've also made the buttons slightly bigger to make them more comfortable to use, but they didn't.

I wonder how they are going to handle the situation when the drifting starts to happen with first batch of the new Lite consoles. In Europe they don't offer any free repairs atm, it seems to be US only.

When I first used one I was surprised how much more comfortable the Wii U gamepad feels than the Switch Joy-Con. It's mostly because of the bigger buttons, I think.

Last edited by Reynardine, Aug 27, 2019
  7. Jiehfeng
    OP

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Yeah but on the other hand they're aiming at making a small system that can be considered a handheld only system. But still, there must be a solution. Look at the Vita for example.

8. Reynardine

Aug 14, 2018
    Germany
    Negativland
    That's true, the analogue sticks of the Vita are rather small, but they are perfectly durable. My Vita is still working fine, my Mario Odyssey bundle Joy-Con is already dead.

The Switch has the least durable analogue sticks since the original N64 controller from what I have seen so far.

I love handheld gaming and I'm super excited for the Switch Lite, but this is something to worry about.

Jiehfeng likes this.
  9. Jiehfeng
    OP

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Which is why the Vita's analogue sticks are a perfect example of why the small size of the Switch analogue sticks is not the issue, it's just the design.

Reynardine likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted