Hardware Nintendo Labo? Worth it or Na

PanchoCilantro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love nintendo and all of their creativity. I am a child at heart and am open to new accesories and how they behave with gameplay. However, my buddy tried to show me a little labo work with the piano and the jet pack. I saw cardboard and immediately cringed. I gave it a chance and I still leaned towards never buying it. Am I wrong for this or is there something I might not be seeing about how fun it really might be? Inform me of your opinion and why you hold it please.

Manana

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, probably don't buy it. it's a cheap gimmick to trick parents into thinking there kids might learn something building that crap. Unless you have kids, in which case my apologies good sir. Still, legos might be more educational imho. Also phones allow you to play piano, w/o using hilarious cardboard scraps I might add. Idk what nintendo was on w/ this one. As if the switch wasn't already a glorified tablet with like 5 dope games exclusive to nintendo and ports of dope ass games already available on other consoles years ago. I just don't know anymore Tendy, I just don't.

D

Deleted User

the game ks what costs the money, not the cardboard... and I assume you could buy some plastic crap instead from ebay or the likes...
Yeah, probably don't buy it. it's a cheap gimmick to trick parents into thinking there kids might learn something building that crap. Unless you have kids, in which case my apologies good sir. Still, legos might be more educational imho. Also phones allow you to play piano, w/o using hilarious cardboard scraps I might add. Idk what nintendo was on w/ this one. As if the switch wasn't already a glorified tablet with like 5 dope games exclusive to nintendo and ports of dope ass games already available on other consoles years ago. I just don't know anymore Tendy, I just don't.
if the switch is a glorified tablet then the other consoles are a glorified pc's. and not even good ones... thats the whole point of consoles, isnt it.... being a closed system with less specs

ItsTheWolf

Splatoon 2 Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I love nintendo and all of their creativity. I am a child at heart and am open to new accesories and how they behave with gameplay. However, my buddy tried to show me a little labo work with the piano and the jet pack. I saw cardboard and immediately cringed. I gave it a chance and I still leaned towards never buying it. Am I wrong for this or is there something I might not be seeing about how fun it really might be? Inform me of your opinion and why you hold it please.
It's only fun and worth it when you have a creative mind. If you don't, then it's not.

Bitchplease

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I like the idea but im not buying it, my children will break and destroy it in minutes.
plus the price is just above what I want to spend.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Have you tried the ToyCon Garage? The basic ToyCon models (the piano, house, robot etc.) are only there as a tutorial to show you how you can build toys around the functions of the JoyCons and the Switch. The long-term draw of Labo is the ToyCon Garage, that lets you design and program your own mechanics and interactions to create your own games and toys. If cardboard makes you cringe, you can use plastic, wood or other materials. Here are some examples of Labo projects:

And some experiments by a fellow Temper: https://gbatemp.net/threads/check-o...es-ive-made-with-labos-toy-con-garage.502802/

Is this something that might interest you? If not, the Labo is not worth it.

Reactions: PanchoCilantro

PanchoCilantro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried the ToyCon Garage? The basic ToyCon models (the piano, house, robot etc.) are only there as a tutorial to show you how you can build toys around the functions of the JoyCons and the Switch. The long-term draw of Labo is the ToyCon Garage, that lets you design and program your own mechanics and interactions to create your own games and toys. If cardboard makes you cringe, you can use plastic, wood or other materials. Here are some examples of Labo projects:

And some experiments by a fellow Temper: https://gbatemp.net/threads/check-o...es-ive-made-with-labos-toy-con-garage.502802/

Is this something that might interest you? If not, the Labo is not worth it.

Hmm that's food for thought right there, I appreciate your time man. I had no idea you could utilize different material such as wood or plastic. A plastic piano sounds very much like rock band and I didn't ever question that when it was released. I loved it. Im going to look into pricing for the wooden labo accessories. Doesn't sound so bad. I mainly looked at the durability of cardboard over time and with children in my household.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It's pretty fun. I would definitely build the fishing rod first, though. It's the most fun game out of all of them, imho.
Will do, like I said I am open minded so I don't intend to shut down any of Nintendo's ideas. Just want to understand a little better but if you say it's fun I look forward to experimenting with the fishing rod. Thanks a bunch

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Hmm that's food for thought right there, I appreciate your time man. I had no idea you could utilize different material such as wood or plastic. A plastic piano sounds very much like rock band and I didn't ever question that when it was released. I loved it. Im going to look into pricing for the wooden labo accessories. Doesn't sound so bad. I mainly looked at the durability of cardboard over time and with children in my household.
I think you misunderstood me about the materials.
The original Labo comes only in cardboard, and if you want those ToyCons in a different materials you'll have to make them yourself (or wait for a 3rd party version but there are none available at the moment). Out of the box it's just a chunk of cardboard and a few minigames. You can use the cardboard as a template and then make the piano out of something more sturdy, but I'm not sure it's worth it. How long do you think you'd be playing with a simple electronic keyboard? And even then, wouldn't it be better to buy an actual keyboard instead of spending $70 on the Labo and then having to build the keyboard out of a sturdier material?

Like I said, the long-term draw of the Labo is in creating new toys and games in the ToyCon Garage. Those toys can be made out of sturdier materials if you need durability. If that's something that interests you, then the Labo is worth it.

Here's a few more creations:

Kigiru

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It rea;y depends on what you expect. Labo is pretty much directed to kids and people that like handworking and DIY projects. If you are into papercraft, building stuff, tinkering with tools and that kind of shit then go for it, you probably will not get anything better for you in term of gaming stuff. But if toys and creative works are not your hobby then it's basicaly waste of money.

Reactions: PanchoCilantro

PanchoCilantro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you misunderstood me about the materials.
The original Labo comes only in cardboard, and if you want those ToyCons in a different materials you'll have to make them yourself (or wait for a 3rd party version but there are none available at the moment). Out of the box it's just a chunk of cardboard and a few minigames. You can use the cardboard as a template and then make the piano out of something more sturdy, but I'm not sure it's worth it. How long do you think you'd be playing with a simple electronic keyboard? And even then, wouldn't it be better to buy an actual keyboard instead of spending $70 on the Labo and then having to build the keyboard out of a sturdier material?

Like I said, the long-term draw of the Labo is in creating new toys and games in the ToyCon Garage. Those toys can be made out of sturdier materials if you need durability. If that's something that interests you, then the Labo is worth it.

Here's a few more creations:

I see so cardboard.. Ok I mean yea it's pretty interesting dont get me wrong but I feel Labo is basically a big sales pitch at this point. Cardboard is not durable at all around kids. Also kind of pricey for what it is. I think I'll wait on a 3rd party with a plastic or wooden material for more strength and longevity.

GBA rocks

Trophies
XP
Country
labo toycon garage + 3D printer = mind blown

then maybe as a teen move to raspberry Pi and Arduino stuff

then proceed to become the next genius tech CEO or something

these are the (pricey) modern day equivalent of Meccano...

Michael Morsette

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For my part I absolutely love Labo. I purchased the variety kit when it first came out. The kids and I have had a great time with it.

Here is a project we did with the Labo garage:

MrCokeacola

The Xbox Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Labo will be worth it when you can get the game for cheap/free then make all the labo stuff out of used pizza boxes. I'm still stacking up on pizza boxes have like 5 atm.

g00s3y

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's awesome, I loved putting it together with my son who is almost 4, and he loves playing the robot game, the house (for whatever reason), and the piano is completely awesome.

The cardboard is very sturdy, and unless your kids are going to literally stomp and smash it, it will hold up very well.

Lots of negative people in this thread, who probably haven't even bought or used it, but giving their completely uninformed opinions about it.

Or dumb people who talk about saving cardboard and think they'll actually take the time to make all the folds/cuts/perforations/holes needed to do everything.

Reactions: Kioku

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m still having fun taking boxes and crap from my recycle bin at making boats, helmets, cars, sleds, bedrooms for dolls, even our own version of checkers. It’s way cheaper and just as creative. Kids love it!

ShaytheStar

3TEETH fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently helping out the school library in assembling Labo, and personally I would've deeply regretted blowing money on it if I had. To me, it's very gimmicky, but if you're creative with mechanical building, you might be able to make some cool stuff with the Garage and get your money's worth. Otherwise, go with Legos!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.