Nintendo DS Homebrew Devs?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Seansuke, Mar 6, 2010.

Mar 6, 2010

Nintendo DS Homebrew Devs? by Seansuke at 7:01 PM (1,494 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. Seansuke
    OP

Newcomer Seansuke Member

United States
    anyone here not just a user of homebrew but a developer for nintendo DS homebrew? I just started myself, so just curious

2. Dangy

Member Dangy Twisting Your Mind & Smashing Your Dreams

United States
    No I won't make you a game.

3. Seansuke
    OP

Newcomer Seansuke Member

United States
    XD no i dont want you to make a game; im already working on one anyway. I know C++, that's not what im saying; im a developer too, I just wish to know how many of us are devs, thats all. maybe some could use my wisdom, maybe i need some of their wisdom, maybe we can share wisdom. I don't know; I just want to know how many devs are on here, im not really ASKING for anytrhing XD

4. Wabsta

Member Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Netherlands
    I used to work on PokédexDS till I lost the project.
    I'm not very good in C++ tho, I prefer C# atm, since I had that at school.

5. Seansuke
    OP

Newcomer Seansuke Member

United States
    Oh that's fine, it happens, I happened to be stuck on my current project right now; dumb issue too, just palette problems; everything else works great. well in any case, I KNOW there are more devs on here than just the 3 of us! Just curious who else does

6. AAcrazyman

Member AAcrazyman GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i dont know how to code but im learning! i think there needs to be more devs on here too! thats part of the reason why im learning! [​IMG]

7. Atashi

Member Atashi Out of the Loop

Canada
    I've been poking around with DS development lately. I'm not a gamer, and not really interested in making games, but I like to learn about different architectures and like to know how things work.

I'm using the latest devkitpro and libnds, and have made my first (very simple) little utility... my biggest frustration now is trying to understand what's necessary in order to get from my little program back to the firmware menu, without hitting the power switch. [​IMG]

Other homebrews can do it, so I know it's doable, I just don't know how much work is involved or what is required.

Cheers!

-Atashi

8. Seansuke
    OP

Newcomer Seansuke Member

United States
    to answer your question really quick, what do you use to pass as a booting tool? cuz if you're using R4 + R4's default firmware then set Soft-Reset (Press R in menu selection) to On (R turns green on screen) and while you're in your homebrew, press L+R+A+B+Y+X and you'll return to the boot menu

9. Atashi

Member Atashi Out of the Loop

Canada
    I'm running AKAIO 1.5.1 on an Acekard 2i... I've been reading some recent stuff on gbadev about the most recent libnds / devkitarm and argv / exit to firmware support, this looks like it would be the perfect solution for a lot of homebrew devs if the firmware folks would implement these things across the board. I know AKAIO has argv support but it doesn't appear to have the exit to firmware side implemented.

I'm not looking for a solution which involves a bunch of fancy keypresses, rather a solution that can be done through programming - when a user exits the software via whatever method the particular game/app employs, it should just exit and return to the firmware that launched it, as described here: http://wiki.devkitpro.org/index.php/Homebrew_Menu

Anyhow, it's not really on topic for this thread I guess, it's just the thing that's been on my mind the last couple days.

-Atashi

10. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I want more shmup homebrew.

11. Seansuke
    OP

Newcomer Seansuke Member

United States
    shmup homebrew? what's that?

12. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Give WarhawkDS, OpenTyrian and DScent a go. Easily as good as, if not better than, many retail games.

13. AAcrazyman

Member AAcrazyman GBAtemp Regular

United States
    kinda of subject, Rayder! [​IMG]
    however i do agree with you.... shmup projects are da bomb! there definitely needs to be some more of those!

14. ashxu

Member ashxu GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    *sigh* i really wish someone would port C&C or something to DS. I remember someone did, but they ditched the project half way or something.

15. Seansuke
    OP

Newcomer Seansuke Member

United States
    This is one of the reasons that im calling all NDS Devs of GBATEMP, not cuz i want to make a huge project or anything XD just to hold and share a popular interest. our audience needs to be bigger. In any case, I'm currently working on project, my first NDS project, not my first C++ program though. Its a platform slasher and its in the early development stages. but in any case, deving is fun for NDS, gotta love the touch screen

16. Discover

Member Discover GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    The DS is a good system to develop on. Personally I'm moving on to PocketPC after, then OpenGL.

17. Keeley

Member Keeley GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I started learning C++ this start of September, I'm developing a platformer for the DS right now [​IMG]

@AAcrazyman - Thats a huge goal man, be sure to stick with it!