Discussion Nintendo collecting data legal?

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by achandab, Sep 25, 2018.

1. achandab
    OP

achandab Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 5, 2017
    Australia
    Not sure of the legality here with want Nintendo is doing in terms of banning users. People are turning off "share error information" yet Nintendo still have this info and are banning users. I'm no expert in this field by any means but it seems kind of dodgy. Can someone shed some light on this subject?

Also related I was looking through my Nintendo account earlier and i was thinking maybe this is how they get around it.

https://accounts.nintendo.com/analytics/opt_in

Here you can set your preferences regarding data about your usage of Nintendo products and services.

This seems to be enabled by default. Has someone tried switching this off prior to hacking the switch and seen if there Switch still gets banned?

2. stewacide

stewacide GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2018
    Canada
    I've had it off the whole time not banned. Also set your region to Europe.

3. lil-devil

lil-devil GBAtemp Regular

Oct 16, 2007
    Canada
    have you done anything that would cause a ban? if so what have you done?

4. DaveLister

DaveLister GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 27, 2018
    Afghanistan
    lv426
    Moot because user modding console legal ?

5. Heichart

Heichart Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 18, 2010
    Brazil
    Burajiru
    Quick search on Google got me this thread, where this user said:

I don't have a Switch to confirm, but OP said he missed that too.

6. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    As long as you are from Europe (or have Switch set to Europe or idk), Ninty has to givce you the option to disable "all" telemetry (I higly doubt that it sends nothing, but at least less than before).
    Maybe that's why I am not ban yet :D

Last edited by Kubas_inko, Sep 25, 2018
  7. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    It doesn't matter if it's illegal or not, it only matters if they can get with it. It would be nice if laws were magically upheld by some instant invisible arbitrator but unfortunately we rely on extremely resource-depleting litigious processes to enact justice.

osaka35 likes this.
  8. achandab
    OP

achandab Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 5, 2017
    Australia
    Ive played homebrew games using SX OS CFW so i'm definitely entitled to a ban. I'm just questioning Nintendos legality on them going through my logs on the Switch without my permission in order for them to ban me