NGP may not launch globally in 2011

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by heartgold, Jan 31, 2011.

Jan 31, 2011
  1. heartgold
    OP

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

Link

looks to be a long wait, so some time next year people [​IMG]

2. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    So they'll have an earlier Japanese launch, and a later launch in other parts of the world, just like with the PSP. And then they'll sue anyone who dares to sell Japanese consoles in other countries. Just like with the PSP (and Lik Sang).

3. nIxx

Member nIxx GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Sounds as Sony didn´t learned anything as Veho said same happened with PSP or PS3 (600Eur starting price wasn´t a reasonable price imo [​IMG] ).
    Well possibly we see better (handheld) games this time (until ~1 year ago the PSP game support was a joke).

4. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Likely to be at least $400 USD, will launch close to a year after the 3DS in the Americas, and once again it's offering features no one really asked for. I predict DOA.

5. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    I doubt that'll happen again and second that applied pretty much to shipping consoles to Europe. If anything the main importing base for Japanese consoles (US and most of Asia) would be safe. I would worry more about price inflation when importing the NGP as import shops most likely will overprice them by $100-$200 when it should have a $50-$100 price increase.

6. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Everyone will hope for Christmas, but it'll hit shelves on March 27th, 2012 |B|

7. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    their waiting for the 3ds to be released 1st so they can take it apart and add....! [​IMG]

8. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    Do you actually believe half the bullshit you spew?

9. MEGAMANTROTSKY

Member MEGAMANTROTSKY GBAtemp Fan

United States
    "they'll find money that they didn't think they had"? With unemployment and poverty at record levels, I have only this to say: Speak for yourself, Mr. Tretton.

10. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    I don't really care when it's released, as I probalbly won't have the money to even get it until after it's like a year old.

11. lostdwarf

Member lostdwarf GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    They have no real intentions on bringing this out this year, it is purely another reason to not buy something else and hold out for this instead.
    Sony never keep to release dates on brand new hardware. 3DS, IPAD2, iphone4 are all coming out very soon. Sony are playing the NGP card now as they have no other option. The important thing to note is it is purely in the "prototype" stage, in other words they have no idea what price this thing will cost as they havent actually tried to manufacture it yet, they only had a few demo units. It also sounds as though they have added in features to copy the 3ds such as its 'near app' 'touchscreen' and motion sensors'. The near app with no demo except a video ripped directly from 3DSstreetpass which is a quick add on at the last moment in response to offer something like nintendo.
    You will not be able to buy NGP in english speaking territories untill around this time next year.

off topic. I am not buying one as I wasted money on a PSP while everyone else got ds's and dsi's. I will be buying a 3DS to play true NEXT GENERATION games and current generation movies (3D)

12. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    uh huh

the PROOF is IN the pudding [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    You're actually serious, aren't you?
    Let me laugh even harder.

14. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    LMLEH!! I bet he does. His posts may be spam, but they do loosen up those tense forum situations.

15. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Oh, I just love Sony and their horrible marketing scheme.

I can only assume region-lock at this pace.

16. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    Urrk...
    Monster Hunter no....

17. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    OH GOD I hadn't thought of that.

:vomit:

18. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    The typical thing would be to launch in Japan first, since that's what Sony always does. However, if you think about it this way, Sony doesn't really need to attract the Japanese fanbase with a holiday release, because it's already there. Just ship it with a Monster Hunter game at launch, given any date, and it'll sell. What they really need to do is push a holiday release for North America, to attract the potential sales from the holidays here, so that the 3DS doesn't take all the heat going into 2012. Once you've got a significant amount of hardware locked in within a region that typically wasn't your area that could garner easy sales, you can then open up a window for a steady software flow the following year. I'd go for a holiday release in North America and/or Europe before it hitting Japan, but then again, it's Sony, and the Japanese probably wouldn't like it when a domestic company releases something in the international market before their own.

19. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    My bets are Japan November/December 2011 and the rest of the world March/April 2012. At a price point of $US350. If the price gets much higher than that then it will definitely be DOA.

Consumers don't have that much money these days and these handhelds are more expensive than ever. Even the 3DS is going to be released at the same price as a console was. Everyone will have bought a 3DS in 2011 and won't have the money for the PSP. Plus, once they enjoy the 3D screen they might not want to go back. It'll be the same as the DS/PSP war was. The DS was underpowered but that didn't stop it, it had unique and fun software. The PSP2 is a beast and it will have a console experience (Uncharted/LBP/Killzone etc) in a portable. Who actually wants that? Not joe public. Console experiences are for consoles. You get a huge TV and comfy couch.

20. SPH73

Banned SPH73 Banned

United States
    Under $300.

Japan launch in late Novermber 2011

That's my guess.