Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I, Nero, shall lead everyone to the right info!

biggrin.gif
Ok, I'm really excited about the new Firmware update...

Just to clarify to everyone, IF the SDHC is supported, then that means the M3 Simply will support it as well; since it's pretty much the same as the R4. Which means the Old-Shelled R4 will have SDHC support too.

How can I exactly prove this?

Judge, take a look at this. There is the M3 Simply, and the Old-Shelled R4. And here is the New-Shelled R4. The R4 with the new shell has no spring, different internals, and the connectors are different.

There isn't a new shell/aren't any new internals for the M3 Simply! Meaning if the New Shell is the only one that supports SDHC, then M3 Simply will be missing out on it as well! I wouldn't think the R4 team would disapoint trusty customers.

yaynds.gif
I hope everyone will be happy with their R4/M3Simply. Good luck everyone!

~rest0re; Damn you... Just, damn you. You can't ruin the fun by going in here and yelling "R4 sucks, DS-X rules!"

Are you kidding me?

DS-X shows the crappiest support. Evar. They barely update their cart, and they delete everything in their forums that has to do with getting help!

They ran off with their money, and yours as well. You got jipped. We all know you can't handle the pain of your wasted $125. Or the 512mb Model you got for $80.

~True Story:

I went to my brothers apartment to talk to him about Slot-2 Flashcarts. Sadly, he bought an DS-Xtreme. I walk into his room finding him frustrated with it. He complains about his favorite games not saving, etc. He can't wait for another Update because they take ages to release them. He yells, and I just sit on a chair playing my R4. He says "Screw this!", and walks out the door with his car keys
blink.gif
. I follow him to see what he's up to. He puts the DS-X behind the rear tire of his Honda. He starts it up and runs it over with his wheels. I pick it up and find that it isn't really that messed up. The middle of the DS-X is cracked in half along with the USB port... He goes back up and pulls out the credit card from his wallet and orders an Acekard RPG. He takes his R4 out of the drawer and says "I'm lucky that I still have this!".
dry.gif

At least the Acekard RPG is awesome. Still, you; rest0re; should not be yelling "Acekard RPG rules!" in this thread.

johnchan

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sorry guys, SDHC isnt going to happen with R4 - its simply not possible. Let me explain why
smile.gif

The R4 is powered by something called an ASIC. This is an integrated circuit which does all the work such as booting the code on the NDS, interfacing with the MicroSD card etc. The R4 ASIC contains an embedded bootloader in ROM (read only memory) - this means that the bootloader is fixed and can never be changed. In order to change the bootloader, they will need to make a whole new ASIC. It is a known fact that the R4 bootloader DOES NOT support MicroSDHC. I've tested this myself personally with both old and new generation R4 (yes, even the one with the new shell). Many other people have also confirmed this. In order to get MicroSDHC working you will need to update the bootloader, but since this is embedded inside the ASIC as ROM this simply is not possible. To add SDHC support to the R4, you will need to buy a whole new unit. You people dont need to believe me if you dont want to, I'll be proven correct eventually after months go by, new firmware updates come out, and still no SDHC for R4. To me, it just sounds like somebody in their marketing/sales department is a bit misinformed and simply assumes that SDHC will be possible to add with a software update, when this is anything but the truth.

Regarding the other features, they are of course possible with a firmware update. However, many of us have already been enjoying these features with cyclods evolution for some time so... *yawn*
wink.gif

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Not only I believe you johnchan but this is what I've been thinking all along. That's why I'm very surprised by what they told me!
I think they'll really have to release a new product if they want to support SDHC...

nickvv

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not only I believe you johnchan but this is what I've been thinking all along. That's why I'm very surprised by what they told me!
I think they'll really have to release a new product if they want to support SDHC...
Exactly, so its a shame they are telling people that they will be adding SDHC support and getting everyone excited. I really dont think much of a company who treats their customers this way
mad.gif

gEist

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
time will tell....

rofl @ " i really dont think much of a company who treats their customers this way"...

always the same,... wait god dam and we will see.. no one expected that the CycloWiz ( Wii chip 1st generation) is upgradable... same for the folks waiting for the wiikey update...

Just wait peeps and u will see.... always the hype...

jelbo

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Maybe it's said before but what about M3 Lite's sudden SDHC compatibility? I think it's limited to just their modified Moonshell thingy, and maybe to Chinese firmware as well. If M3 Lite does support SDHC through that update, is that because it's bootloader was rewriteable?

johnchan

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Maybe it's said before but what about M3 Lite's sudden SDHC compatibility? I think it's limited to just their modified Moonshell thingy, and maybe to Chinese firmware as well. If M3 Lite does support SDHC through that update, is that because it's bootloader was rewriteable?
Yes, its because the bootloader is re-writeable. On another note, with SCDSone its interesting because apparently their bootloader is re-writeable but they needed a whole new version for SDHC anyway. That is probably due to their hardware emulation of NDS game carts using MicroSD, since the hardware logic cannot be updated without a new device. If R4 had onboard flash memory like other devices then they probably would be able to update for SDHC, but since they are using MaskROM build into the ASIC its not possible and never will be for anyone with current generation R4.

Noobix

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, its because the bootloader is re-writeable. On another note, with SCDSone its interesting because apparently their bootloader is re-writeable but they needed a whole new version for SDHC anyway. That is probably due to their hardware emulation of NDS game carts using MicroSD, since the hardware logic cannot be updated without a new device. If R4 had onboard flash memory like other devices then they probably would be able to update for SDHC, but since they are using MaskROM build into the ASIC its not possible and never will be for anyone with current generation R4.

bow.gif

R4 is still awesome.
grog.gif

We should start betting on time/day of release...I'll say 10th October, we hear more news, but release next week ! (18th/19th)

Anyway R4 will pull something out of their hat.
lecture.gif

Rehab

Trophies
XP
Country
Personally I'm not bothered about SDHC support at the moment, 2gb is plenty for me, what the R4 needs is 100% compatibility with backups and homebrew.

coolmos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sorry guys, SDHC isnt going to happen with R4 - its simply not possible. Let me explain why
smile.gif

The R4 is powered by something called an ASIC. This is an integrated circuit which does all the work such as booting the code on the NDS, interfacing with the MicroSD card etc. The R4 ASIC contains an embedded bootloader in ROM (read only memory) - this means that the bootloader is fixed and can never be changed. In order to change the bootloader, they will need to make a whole new ASIC. It is a known fact that the R4 bootloader DOES NOT support MicroSDHC. I've tested this myself personally with both old and new generation R4 (yes, even the one with the new shell). Many other people have also confirmed this. In order to get MicroSDHC working you will need to update the bootloader, but since this is embedded inside the ASIC as ROM this simply is not possible. To add SDHC support to the R4, you will need to buy a whole new unit. You people dont need to believe me if you dont want to, I'll be proven correct eventually after months go by, new firmware updates come out, and still no SDHC for R4. To me, it just sounds like somebody in their marketing/sales department is a bit misinformed and simply assumes that SDHC will be possible to add with a software update, when this is anything but the truth.

Regarding the other features, they are of course possible with a firmware update. However, many of us have already been enjoying these features with cyclods evolution for some time so... *yawn*
wink.gif

johnchan, have you looked up the difference between SD and SHDC?

you might be right, but it could very well be that the ASIC only provides the physical access to the card, whereas the protocol for reading is something in the kernel. In that case it is possible.

I'm willing to hold my decision until i'm better informed. I'll see what i can find.

QUOTEA new SD format, SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity, SD 2.0), allows capacities in excess of 2 GB. SDHC uses the FAT32 file system which supports a higher data density than FAT16[10]. It uses the same form factor as SD, but the SD 2.0 standard in SDHC uses a different memory addressing method (sector addressing vs byte addressing), thus theoretically reaching a maximum capacity of up to 2048GB. SDHC cards only work in SDHC compatible devices, but standard SD cards work in both SD and SDHC devices. The SDHC trademark is licensed to ensure compatibility.

The physical access is equal. The question is, does the byte / sector addressing take place in the firmware or in the kernel? Your guess is as good as mine. Saying it is not possible is premature.

rhyguy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
smile.gif

wink.gif

johnchan, have you looked up the difference between SD and SHDC?

you might be right, but it could very well be that the ASIC only provides the physical access to the card, whereas the protocol for reading is something in the kernel. In that case it is possible.

I'm willing to hold my decision until i'm better informed. I'll see what i can find.

how could the reading bit be in the loader if it would have to read the loader to know how to read the loader 0_o

but johnchan, have you actually dumped every bit of the r4s programmed bits to know that its all rom, instead of some writable memory? because if you havent, you might be wrong about the asic bit

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It is a known fact that the R4 bootloader DOES NOT support MicroSDHC. I've tested this myself personally with both old and new generation R4 (yes, even the one with the new shell). Many other people have also confirmed this. In order to get MicroSDHC working you will need to update the bootloader, but since this is embedded inside the ASIC as ROM this simply is not possible.
I have to agree, AFAIK the asic is permanent and cannot be changed and SDHC is likely no where close to compatible. The only thing I don't know to make a definite DOES NOT work conclusion myself is (since I have no SDHC card): crypt "hello world" (aka: something that does not first try to initialize SD card before putting info on the screen) to their menu format and see what happens. If it loads (on a 4G sdhc, no bigger), then SDHC is not as different from SD than I suspect...

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wait and see guys it seems the guy from R4 was quite sure about it.

I'd like to think johnchan knows what he's talking about but that last bit about the cyclo makes him sound suspicious. Could be a cyclo fanboy spreading misinformation. My apologies if you're not a fanboy, we'll see when the new firmware comes out if you're right
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtube.com/watch?v=fKm3kqOmqso