phoood

taking it to a whole new level.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying this out, but it'd be great if someone here could explain what in each thing means in the quotes:

QUOTE said:
(????) [01/10] - "LOST 315 LAZY.par2 LAZY" yEnc (1/1)
collection size: 199.46 MB, parts available: 817 / 1714
- 10 par2 files
&
QUOTE(????) [56/56] - "LOST 315 LAZY.55.ts LAZY" yEnc (1/156)

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Virgin can't turn around and have a go at me for downloading things because it would be like a drug dealer shouting at the druggie for using his services.
rofl2.gif
Can't say it's never happened, though. I have heard some tales about bad batches of heroin being purposely put out to simply kill off the "too hardcore" meatheads who won't listen to the "buzz." That's
wacko.gif
"do-gooders" for you though, thinking they are the cats ass for taking your money for something then getting a plague of conscience which causes them to start trying to dictate what you do with the thing you already paid for. Even Capone didn't really consider himself a criminal... so "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" you say?

phood:
(????) [01/10] - "LOST 315 LAZY.par2 LAZY" yEnc (1/1)

Xcursion

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Pretty much everything that should be covered has been covered except for a decent list of usenet providers. NewzBin offers a decent list that has recently been updated. http://docs.newzbin.com/index.php/Usenet:Premium_Providers I personally use UseNetServer and pay for a 3 month subscription for $39.95. I use NewzBin for nzb files and i use NewsLeecher to download since it is probably the best for downloading and extracting but it does cost money and I feel it is well worth it.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Number of threads at a time: how many posts you can download at once. 10 is nice but 20 is nicer.

Yet the more threads you have open, the more tcp/ip overhead there is (so slower speeds).

Any decent NSP should give you full speed from less than 10 threads on a 24mbit line (giganews can saturate a 10mbit line with 3-4 threads).

More doesn't always equal better.

binsearch.info is good, but I prefer www.newzleech.com I'd never pay for newzbin ; paying for a list of files on a server seems ludicrous.

NZB-o-Matic Plus is the best program I've used if you only want to use nzb's and have no interest in downloading headers/browsing groups. Small, customisable and fast. =]

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
too dififcult for me too. i can use IRC and Bittorent fine, but newsgroups? maybe some other time.

Little

I r Little
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How are newsgroups hard o.0 I don't get people who think that. I find it easier than torrents. You don't have to search ages and ages for a torrent file. Computer wise, newsgroups are alot easier to set up.... no need to set up your router/firewall to get great speeds. Great speeds, massive amounts of data available, no need to share, can be free if you use your ISPs and have unlimited...

jalapeno

Trophies
XP
Country
Can someone clear something up for me.

- To download a file, i need the following

a nzb files,

a server

-binsearch.info provides the nzb files, free

-Some ISP's provide servers.

-giganews [and paysites] provide nzbfiles and the server, for $$$

is that how is works?

so there is no way download for free, if my ISP doesnt support binaries.

can someone clear/clean up my post,

thanks

Little

I r Little
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You're pretty much there, jalapeno. The only part your missing is a program that will read the nzb file and download. The same way that you need a bittorrent program like utorrent to read the torrent files.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You do not need an NZB to download, it is just one way of doing it. Stuff like shemes and simply downloading headers will also allow you to grab stuff.

Free usenet via something other than your isp is pretty much not going to happen, most big providers do demos and the odd free weekend though.

Barra

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Same, abgwii doesn't appear with my ISP's free newsgroup access (Virgin Media's news.virgin.net). Is there anything else I can do or do I need to do something for more to appear?

stretch

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You could try requesting that newgroup to be added into your ISP's news server. Worth a shot if you really don't want to pay extra.

My ISP has a.b.g.wii

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30