Newsgroups

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by blade85, Apr 6, 2007.

Apr 6, 2007

Newsgroups by blade85 at 4:43 PM (3,350 Views / 0 Likes) 36 replies

1. blade85
    OP

Member blade85 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've seen posts in this forum talking about getting the latest info about the games in newsgroups

What exacly is a newsgroup? Is it just a site that tells the news?

And can someone link me to one? Posting it here or PMing is fine, just dotn send me any sites with viruses and stuff lol -.-

2. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    a newgroups is a way to download stuff. like games movies like torrents but its much faster.

3. iamwhoiam

Member iamwhoiam Honorary R4 Fanboy

United Kingdom
    wikipedia: usenet

However, don't expect it to be your next source of all things evil. ISP usenet groups don't generally support binaries, and even if they do they usually only have retension of such topics of a few days.

If you want a good source, you're going to have to pay for it to guarantee:
    a) good source of binary channels
    b) long retention (3 months and more)

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Intro to newsgroups/usenet:
    http://www.slyck.com/ng.php

Rather than take the easy route I shall attempt to explain, consider the following a (probably badly worded) crash course. Some say usenet is hard to use but if you do it right then you are laughing (my setup for me ranks easier and so much quicker than any limewire/bearshare/torrent nonsense).

The premise
    Simply put newsgroups aka Usenet is a network of servers that you can access. To do so you either have to pay a provider (typically the best option) or your ISP may provide them. You will also need a newsreader.

They run sort of like a forum in that people post stuff on them and have multiple sections to describe their contents (alt.bin.monkeypictures should contain pictures of monkeys, for reference a.b. as well as alt.bin. is shorthand for alt.binaries), these messages can be text based messages or encoded files (usenet only accepts plain ASCII and few other characters so files can not be left as is, the most popular methods being UUEncode, yenc or base64).

Searching usenet
    To see what is available or download something you can do one of three things:
    Download headers:
    These are all the posts in a group (think of groups like subforums) and you download the lot (or to a given age). From here you can pick and choose what you want. Takes a bit of space and can be a bit hard to search but it is all good.
    NZB files:
    You can download these from many places and they are a bit like torrent files in that they contain the location of the files you want and some data about them.
    A searcher:
    schemes is a pay site and binsearch.info is a free one (it generates nzb files)

Files:
    Typically they are spread across multiple posts if they are big, convention has it that multiple rar files work (normally called either XXX.part1.rar, XXX.part2.rar or xxx.r01, xxx.r02 ending with xxx.rar) here so a rar reader like winrar or 7zip is necessary.
    PAR files.
    Quickpar
    http://www.quickpar.org.uk/Download-0.9.1.0.htm
    Like we use CRC32 and such to verify roms these files help verify and fix things. If it a rom/iso I suggest using a conventional manager first, if it is a multirom archive then try and extract and it will tell you if it is corrupt.
    There will be a small PAR file and a larger PAR2 file most of the time, the PAR2 is the one you want for corrupt data should you have it.

Usenet providers:
    3 things you want to be concerned with
    retention:
    This is how long the provider stores posts, you want above 60 days (most ISPs will struggle to hit 30).

completion: 99% or better. How many posts of all the ones available.

Usage limit. Anywhere from a gig to unlimited. Once you start you will not stop until you run out of space though.

Less important but still nice.
    Number of threads at a time: how many posts you can download at once. 10 is nice but 20 is nicer.
    Speed, for me this is limited by my connection (yes downloads happen at full speed all the time). Only a few providers limit speed severely.

The reader:
    Make sure it supports the three main encoding mechanisms:
    UUEncode, yenc or base64
    Posting is another thing (which grabit does not do well), depending on who you speak to yenc is a good thing.
    Grabit is my reader of choice although there are numerous others.
    http://www.shemes.com/

newsleecher:
    http://www.newsleecher.com/

sylpheed:
    http://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/en/features.html

More readers:
    http://www.newsreaders.com/

There are a bunch of threads detailing it all around here as well, Grabit, giganews and binsearch.info (in conjunction with headers) work well for me.

5. blade85
    OP

United States
    ah, ok thanks

it looks rather complicated though lol, ill just stick to torrents -.-

Thanks for explaining it to me guys

6. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    Complex?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. thegame07

United Kingdom
    good old grabit. What happens if your internet provider is not supported by grabit my cousin was asking me. No really you dont want torrents once you use newsgroups you will never want to use torrents again.

8. blade85
    OP

United States
    I would do it but i dont think Verizon has a newsgroup server that i can use for free and i dont really want to pay for a newsgroup to use

Unless there are some free alternatives out there

is binsearch a good place to get files from?

9. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    It's very good for free, but Newzbin offers a lot lot more, but it will cost!

10. blade85
    OP

United States
    So what is the best Newsgroup program to use?

Grabit? If i use it, do i need to have to subscribe to a newsgroup site or can i just always import the nzb files?

11. thegame07

United Kingdom
    You can just import nzbs.

12. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    Free providers are next to useless for binaries, apparently verizon does have something though: http://www.usenettools.net/ISP.htm
    If you do not want to pay wait a few weeks and another free weekend is bound to roll around (if not giganews does a 3day/1gig demo), you will understand why some people choose to sneer at torrents and the like afterwards.

Binsearch is great, it is just for obvious reasons that I did not search for anything sensitive in my pictures up there.

13. blade85
    OP

United States
    ah ok, thanks for finding the site for me lol

And when i try to connect to the newsserver using grabit, do i just have to insert my email/pass?

Then i find a nzb file and then i start downloading, right?

14. tetsuya

Member tetsuya GBAtemp Regular

The email and pass depends on what service and isp.

15. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    My ISP provides me with free usenet access and it's damned good actually. Full speed and unlimitedbandwith. Retention is only 2 weeks but thats more than enuff time to get what I want [​IMG]

16. z0ner

Newcomer z0ner Member

United States
    Newzbin may cost, but it's something ridiculously small like $1/mo. This is the best option IMO - you can use the watchdog feature to inform you of a certain release, use the user comments, etc. I don't think they're accepting new users though. Binsearch is great when you need something right away (< 24h) and know the Newzbin editors haven't had a chance to index it yet.

The following tools work great for me, and I've got it almost to point of being perfectly automated:

Newzbin and Binsearch: Great sites for searching. Both generate NZB files which are associated with...

NewsLeecher: The best program for download management I've ever used. Period.

QuickPAR: For the occasional broken post.

GigaNews: I can barely trust my ISP to give me my advertised speed 24/7. I'm not going to dick around and request reposts because there aren't enough pars to repair. GigaNews has the best speed, retention, and completion I've seen.

One click to search, one click to generate NZB. Done. With my 15MBit pipe I've got a DVD backup in 35 min.

I will never use Torrents.

17. iamwhoiam

Member iamwhoiam Honorary R4 Fanboy

United Kingdom
    I can put in another vote for giganews, they've been around for ages and one of the most used services

Also look at newshosting and astraweb

18. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    Giganews is the best but also the most expensive. Newsdemon has 80 day retention and carries most of the newsgroups. I get everything on it I need. I get it for £6.50 a month, unlimited. 1/2 the price of giganews.

19. cory1492

Member cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Verizon doesn't have usenet? Hmm, wonder why they mention it specifically in their end user agreement multiple times
    http://www2.verizon.net/policies/acceptable_use.asp
    Also, their NNTP is "news.verizon.net", depending on which package you have it should be accessible with your verizon username/password. Whether it actually contains binary groups and any retention beyond text only is something I don't know at all.

I know there are at least a couple bigger ISP's that contract their usenet access out to Giganews.

20. Little

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    The major advantage of Newsgroups over torrents is that you don't need to share with newsgroups... you're encouraged not to most of the time [​IMG] And we all know that with p2p its usually the sharers/seeders that are more likely to get in trouble.

I use my ISP's (Virgin Media) newserver for most things. Now if I were to download anything illegal (not that I would, I'm an angel), its a little bit of a grey area... Virgin can't turn around and have a go at me for downloading things because it would be like a drug dealer shouting at the druggie for using his services.