NewoAsteroids quick bugfixes 2019

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by newo, Oct 17, 2019.

1. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBAtemp allows me to be here

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    The Blue "shooting in all directions" Things ... yesss,they are very mean.:P
    I do not have any Chance to destroy them "quickly" ...at the Moment.:D

Ahh,a way better with Wi Motion Controller and Nunchuk.:yaywii:

Last edited by alexander1970, Oct 24, 2019
    newo likes this.
  2. newo
    OP

newo GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2011
    Jamaica
    Beta has been updated and downloadable. Things to look out for;

1. Fixed the wobbly camera. Still not perfect but much better
    2. Weapons are now more power when the difficulty is set to easy

New Paged! @alexander1970 set the difficulty to easy, the Blue things are now easier to kill in this update mode.

MaeseJesus, Tarmfot and alexander1970 like this.
  3. alexander1970

alexander1970 GBAtemp allows me to be here

Nov 8, 2018
    Austria
    Austria
    Thank you !!! :D
    Now seeeeek and destrooooooooooooooooooyyyyy :evil:

4. MaeseJesus

MaeseJesus GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2013
    Wonderful! I'll try it as soon as possible, but it's hard to play with an injured arm, so it'll have to wait a bit for me to get better.

alexander1970 likes this.
  5. newo
    OP

newo GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2011
    Jamaica
    Why are you even online typing on a keyboard? go rest and recover!

MaeseJesus and alexander1970 like this.
  6. banjo2

banjo2 little man

May 31, 2016
    United States
    gamer armchair
    I played it (on easy mode), it's fun! Until I went to the edge of the map, that is...

Is the pointer moving with the fighter intentional? It's rather disorienting, to me.

alexander1970 and newo like this.
  7. newo
    OP

newo GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2011
    Jamaica
    @banjo2 which controller were you using? If you are using the wiimote and the nunchuck the pointer will move with the ship because IR pointing is the default setup shown in the intro. If you are using a classic/gamecube/wiimote then go into the options and switch the controller setting to "dual stick", "eight way" or "tank".

I am working on the screen edge and wobbly camera bug.

Last edited by newo, Oct 26, 2019
    banjo2 and alexander1970 like this.
  8. banjo2

banjo2 little man

May 31, 2016
    United States
    gamer armchair
    I am using IR pointing, yes. I'll try those out.

9. MaeseJesus

MaeseJesus GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2013
    Because I'm so bored! I'm getting better bit by bit but it's impossible for me to keep still and do nothing. Of course, writing with a single hand is a chore too but at least I'm doing something.

newo, banjo2 and alexander1970 like this.
  10. newo
    OP

newo GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2011
    Jamaica
    Better to be bored today than in permanent pain because of muscle fatigue because you jumped the gun on the healing process. Either way take it easy.

beta download has been updated with the world edge fix and random colour mode on by default.

alexander1970, MaeseJesus and banjo2 like this.
  11. newo
    OP

newo GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2011
    Jamaica
    I figured out why this is disorienting. Its because the ship is no longer locked at the center of the screen and the pointer is trying to follow and rotate around the player. I will fix it so that the ship stays in the center of the screen when using pointer controls. Thanx for the tip because I havent used pointer controls in a long time! PROGRESS!

MaeseJesus, alexander1970 and banjo2 like this.
  12. newo
    OP

newo GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2011
    Jamaica
    Really productive day today after I got over that tackling the new camera system problems. beta download has been updated. fixed a bunch of things;

1. "Camera Locked" option in camera menu - allows you to lock the camera to the center of the screen. It is on by default if you are playing with the controller set to pointer.
    2. If you press a direction on the classic controller or gamecube WHILE the game is set to POINTER controls then the game will automagically switch to the EIGHTWAY controller setting with center_locked turned off.
    3. background colour correctly fades out.
    4. asteroids show a red flash when shot by player (unless they are destroyed)
    5. Fixed the wobble in the drift camera mode

screenshot_20191026144356.png

13. niuus

niuus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 4, 2016
    Venezuela
    Really cool progress, @newo!

14. newo
    OP

newo GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2011
    Jamaica
    Very little time during the week to do development but I fixed a few things and broke some.

1. I changed the default control scheme from pointer to wiimote sideways. The intro slide show is updated with the change. Good move or nay? Pointer is still in the controller options.

2. I changed the settings file formate so achievements and settings will be reset to default. This formate is more future proof.

3. Bouncing asteroids often get hung up or stuck on each other. I think I fixed this but it might make the asteroids more bounce happy. Still tweaking the bounce radius.

4. I added the achievement for 200 kills with the wave beam.

5. Debug menu updated for those interested in that stuff.

6. Anyone interested in redoing the asteroid models, enemy or the player ship? Let me know. However poly budget is strictly low poly. The sounds files are in a weird formate but if anyone is skilled with goldwave, let me know. You can also @NewoGame on twitter.

screenshot_20191023022224.png

15. newo
    OP

newo GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2011
    Jamaica
    Gonna be a slow weekend but the beta has been updated and downloadable. There is a brand new feature in it that I am testing out. Once you see it you can tell its going to be awesome if it works.

16. Important Posts Multiplayer Mode?
    newo
    OP

newo GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2011
    Jamaica
    Over the weekend I have been toying with the idea of adding a separate 8 player multiplayer mode (4 wiimotes, 4 gc). The simplest design would have 2 options;
    • versus deathmatch. every man for themselves. first player that gets 20 points wins. infinite lives. shooting another player counts as 1/2 a point.
    • first player to destroy 100 asteroids wins. players only die if they crash into an asteroid. shooting other players only slows them down.

In both modes there will be a small playing field with infinitely spawning asteroids. no powerups. infinite lives. everyone gets the same default weapon and the same physics. Is this fun enough for a simple party game? Or do I need to think of more modes?
    nb. everyone will share the same screen but it will zoom out like brawl.

What do you say yall? Should I have both options or just have 1 and keep it simple? or skip the multiplayer thing all together? or make it into a separate homebrew?

17. MaeseJesus

MaeseJesus GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2013
    I kinda like how the second option sounds more, but that's just me. This could also have some variations, like point based instead of just asteroids, or having a sub-mode with a bigger goal but things get gradually crazier.

Just to throw ideas to the wall, I don't know how hard would it be to implement or code, but when I think of Asteroids, the most fun idea I get is a team match based on points.

Two groups of players compete to get the most points (by blowing up asteroids, enemies, maybe other players), but if a player is destroyed the team's score gets a hit. This way it could be a mix of a cat & mouse game while also having to blow up other things to improve the score, you couldn't take your attention from the other team but those big juicy asteroids are flipping around for your attention.

To avoid a team ganging up on a specific member of the other team, maybe it could leave behind a power up for its friends so it can scare them and to try and get a desperate upper hand, or if a team gets much of a head, enemies would start aiming at them more.

It could go either as a deathmach, or as a time based thing. In case of the second, there should be some sort of delay between the death of a player and it respawning.

I always liked to imagine stuff like this, but it's probably too complicated to do lol.

18. newo
    OP

newo GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2011
    Jamaica
    @MaeseJesus I am not going to put cpu enemies in the multiplayer - just asteroids. I think the enemies will be too confusing especially when 8 players are on the playfield. There are lots of possibilities. There could be a single enemy that everyone has to shoot or a capture the flag kinda game where everyone has to kill the flag carrier in order to get the flag and only the player with the flag gets points - so everyone is encouraged to get the flag. Lots to think about it.

I tend to pick the best option that is also simple so that I can have a good feature rather that 10 options that no one wants to play because the rules are too confusing/complicated.

Once I get the multiplayer code working we will see how it plays and what is possible. Gamecube vs Wiimote team deathmatch? screenshot_20191103230013.png

Last edited by newo, Nov 7, 2019
  19. newo
    OP

newo GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2011
    Jamaica
    Approaching a new weekend. Been tinkering with the multiplayer. I still need to fix the camera range to prevent players from flying off by themselves. The beta link has been updated again with the new multiplayer menu option. Right now it just drops you into the field with the 8 players active. the only way to escape the mode is by pressing the HOME BUTTON on wiimote 1. The lines are just for debugging - will remove them when I get everything working correctly.

This is the boring part of programming where you spend weeks checking every little thing to make sure it works.

screenshot_20191107090854.png

Attached Files:

Last edited by newo, Nov 8, 2019
    alexander1970 and ChaosEternal like this.
  20. newo
    OP

newo GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2011
    Jamaica
    I did not get a chance to work on the multiplayer this week because of a bug with the auto-update that has been giving me a headache for the past 5 days so nothing to post. I did update the beta. I fixed a few smaller bugs messed around with the colour. I like the white asteroids but the game is still set to random so you will have to go into the options and flip around until you find one you like then disable the randomness in the difficulty menu. screenshot_20191115105548.png screenshot_20191115110434.png screenshot_20191115110449.png

Aeredren, banjo2, niuus and 1 other person like this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted