New Wii system update!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by miketh2005, Jan 9, 2010.

Jan 9, 2010
  1. miketh2005
    OP

Member miketh2005 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Guys, I just finished hacking my Wii and now I put in my Wii Sports disc and it says that I have to update to a new system version in order to use the software??? I don't want to update because if it's a new version, it could brick my Wii, right? But, I do want to play on my Wii! PLEASE help!!!

2. Cmurda187

Member Cmurda187 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    use preloader or startpatch and enable block disc updates

3. miketh2005
    OP

United States
    Ok, I turned off my internet and let it update, and it works. It didn't brick my Wii, hopefully it was just a bug or something. I'll use preloader now.

4. Cmurda187

Member Cmurda187 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Just a rule of thumb: Never update from disc or Nintendo. There are plenty of work arounds here on this site.

5. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    wii sports was probably the very first wii game. i think its safe to say you don't want to update from it. if i remember correctly, it has boot2v2 and IOS9. probably the reason it wants you to update is because you have removed an IOS.

6. ziddey

Member ziddey GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    look at what the goddamn updates are then you wont need to panic because you have no idea

7. miketh2005
    OP

United States
    Well, I updated it, does that mean I have to re-do the trucha bug or something? Do I have to removee that IOS again or something?

8. 9th_Sage

Member 9th_Sage GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Wii Sports? It probably didn't have much on it, you might have just been missing an IOS or something. I doubt you have to worry.

9. jceggbert5

Member jceggbert5 Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.

United States
    If you used cIOSCorp, that may have done it... Or you were missing IOS9...

10. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    NO disc or WiFi update out there will brick you. Any disc update prompt is because either you have an old system menu and haven't updated in a while or you have a new system menu but for some reason you have deleted or downgraded IOS. There is very rarely any reason NOT to update from a disc. Unless you for some reason rely on having a downgraded or missing IOS (cannot think of any situation where you need to have either on your Wii for any long amount of time), disc updates are safe.

11. 0M39A

Member 0M39A GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    they have done in the past, mainly due to user stupidty.

do you remember the bricks that came about from people on system menu 4.0 that downgraded to 3.2, leaving a stubbed ios50. then they ran a disk update with 3.4 on it, which didnt install ios50 as it had a higher version number --> brick.

same thing could happen if you downgraded from 4.2 to 4.0 - 4.1 and ran a game with 4.0/4.1 update on it (eg. nsmbw with 4.1)

12. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Same thing could NOT happen if you downgraded from 4.2 to 4.0-4.1 and ran a game with 4.1 update, because the act of downgrading will install a working IOS60, otherwise the downgrade would cause a full brick. Therefore the update is safe. Unless you are on 3.2 downgraded from 4.X, disc updates are safe.

13. 9th_Sage

Member 9th_Sage GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Right, if you have a higher System Menu than is on the disc and the IOS for that menu, you've got nothing to worry about. I don't recall what is on Wii Sports, but is there even a System Menu on it? Even if there is, it's not likely to be a current one.

14. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    No menu (wish it had 1.0 though, I'm still looking for it). It has boot2v2 and IOS9 v516 (the very first version of IOS9).

It asked for the update because his IOS9 was missing. I'm 100% sure he didn't have boot2v1, if that even existed.

15. tylerzentz

Member tylerzentz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    just throwing this out there:
    one time i bypassed an update prompt by proceeding with the update but then i pressed the cancel button as soon as the update started and it let me play the game anyway. it never asked to update again, either.