'new' Wii has strange graphics errors

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Shebang, Sep 16, 2010.

Sep 16, 2010
  1. Shebang
    OP

Member Shebang GBAtemp Fan

Belgium
    I bought a used Wii on ebay (4.3E [​IMG] )

Within the game or USB Loader GX it has graphics errors that look like tiny texture errors: They range from just a little pixel noise in the center (USB L GX) to several small parallel streaks, ca. 10-20 pixels longs in two rows (LEGO Indiana Jones, nice pwn btw).

The device had internet24 enabled when it came. Is it likely that I have a fried GPU in this device? According to experience - is this going to get worse? I switched internet24 off immediately anyway.

Thank you.

2. JHardin1112

Newcomer JHardin1112 Advanced Member

United States
    I don't think it's fried, but the GPU likely has some damage. I don't believe it will get any worse, mine hasn't. I have WiiConnect24 on so I can use the Nintendo Channel, but everytime I am done with the Wii, I always always make sure I hold down the power button until I get the red light. Anyone, please correct me if I am wrong but even if you have the WiiConnect24 turned on but you do as I did and power off until you get the red light doesn't that mean the WiiConnect24 is not on at the time, only if the light is orange.

That is the impression I am under.

I have had slight artificats on the screen as you described but they have never affected gameplay, sure they look crappy, but not too bad. I have had my Wii for over 3 years and it has never gotten worse. Not sure if it helps, but I keep my Wii vertical, in an open space, no obstructions to the fan and as I mentioned above I turn off until the light is red.

Hope that helps.

3. sprogurt

Member sprogurt GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    That's right!

Personally I've left my wii on connect24 since I've had it (End of June 2007) with an exception of a few weeks (4 at most) and mine still runs strong.

4. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Connect24 shouldn't damage the GPU since the GPU isn't running while the device is on standby.

5. jelmew

Member jelmew GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    It's safe to send it in to nintendo when it has fried completely. That way they can't check for homebrew.

6. chrissmith9c

Newcomer chrissmith9c Advanced Member

United States
    My launch has been doing it ever since I played brawl on it

Guess it could not handle the transition from wii sports

7. sprogurt

Member sprogurt GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Wait, what? That makes no sense.

8. justmike

Member justmike GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I had the same problem.

You can't fix it. Just hope it doesn't get worse.

Best thing to do is make sure you hold the power button when you turn off your Wii until it is red. If you want to be safe.

I have a black Wii and thus far, no problems.

I'm hoping one day I don't get to see artifacts of death on it again.

Nintendo also deny the problem. Ha!

9. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    When WiiConnect24 is left on (yellow LED), wireless module inside the Wii is making constant connection with broadcasting point. Wireless module becomes really hot when the fan on the back is not spinning. It does not matter if GPU is running or not (it is not by the way), it can physically damage the pipeline inside GPU.

10. Shebang
    OP

Member Shebang GBAtemp Fan

Belgium
    It was suggested that I may have a faulty video cable, too. Didn't think of that but will try.

11. resincake

Member resincake GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I had that issue too, and so I got one of them external fans which clips on the back (On top of the vents), then plug in the Wii's Power port using a throughput adapter (so the power cable plugs into it). This did reduce it dramatically, but to totally cure it I had to send my Wii to Nintendo.

Good Luck with it, whatever steps you take .. :>