Hardware NEW US 3DS via Hardware Mod

tots

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This is pretty amazing. I think there would be a market for these if someone could get a bulk amount of chips swapped. As far as I know there is no red XL model in EU/JAP so they could probably be resold in those territories to claw back some of the expenditure.

polarurs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tomorrow I'm going to a couple of tech shops to ask if they can do this. Aside from showing them that post and going "HEY GUYZ CAN U DO THIS PLS", what exactly should I be asking?

tots

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tomorrow I'm going to a couple of tech shops to ask if they can do this. Aside from showing them that post and going "HEY GUYZ CAN U DO THIS PLS", what exactly should I be asking?

Please report back when you do, I'm interested to see how this goes.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Holy crap. Someone did it. Someone actually did it!

If someone could do this for me that would be awesome, although it sounds like this particular person was extremely skilled.
and everyone called me crazy huh B-)

but yeah he only needed to do the CPU, he could of just done the nand mod to swap the nands over which would of save a bunch of messing about

polarurs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2/2 nearby specialty electronic repair stores said no. I emailed 5 that were further away and 1 also responded no. Waiting on responses for the other 4 places, but it's looking grim. I think I'm going to have to commission an individual, but I have no idea how to go about finding a trustworthy one. I'll post the other responses when I get them *fingers crossed*

gudenau

Largely ignored
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
2/2 nearby specialty electronic repair stores said no. I emailed 5 that were further away and 1 also responded no. Waiting on responses for the other 4 places, but it's looking grim. I think I'm going to have to commission an individual, but I have no idea how to go about finding a trustworthy one. I'll post the other responses when I get them *fingers crossed*
I would say yes, but I lack the tools and skill. :-D

polarurs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I have progress!

I got a phone repair/specialty store that said they'd be able to do it, but I need to provide the stencil used on the processor. Does anyone have any pointers on how I can obtain one online?

Attachments

• 998x872xBGA-512.png.pagespeed.ic.RNVCwHu-h1.png
    998x872xBGA-512.png.pagespeed.ic.RNVCwHu-h1.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 147

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just read the whole of that blog post

Holy hell. This guy is skilled. I got shaky hand syndrome so I'm about as useful as a person with Parkinson's trying to solder

Anyway, question for the forum: why do the processors need to be swapped? wouldn't they be the same considering the source system was a US N3DS XL?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Just read the whole of that blog post

Holy hell. This guy is skilled. I got shaky hand syndrome so I'm about as useful as a person with Parkinson's trying to solder

Anyway, question for the forum: why do the processors need to be swapped? wouldn't they be the same considering the source system was a US N3DS XL?
system unique encryption keys, if you can run homebrew (i.e the system is on 9.2 or lower) then there is the software route, but that leaves an imperfect system, the CPU is still logged to the original region, so software route is a "semi" region swap, works for the most part, but eshop doesnt work

the hardware method is as close to a perfect region swap as can be, nand and CPU are perfectly married and all ties up with the eshop server, as far as they are concerned nothing has changed with the system

Reactions: Lucifer666

gudenau

Largely ignored
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
system unique encryption keys, if you can run homebrew (i.e the system is on 9.2 or lower) then there is the software route, but that leaves an imperfect system, the CPU is still logged to the original region, so software route is a "semi" region swap, works for the most part, but eshop doesnt work

the hardware method is as close to a perfect region swap as can be, nand and CPU are perfectly married and all ties up with the eshop server, as far as they are concerned nothing has changed with the system
Just as long as that is everywhere stuff is stored, there may be some way to tell.

gbatempnoob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow, this is pretty much a one of a kind new 3ds. seems like there will be a niche market if he decides to part with the handheld for a hefty price tag.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Reggie just teased releasing the Regular N3DS. Is this worth doing anymore?

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-america-boss-teases-release-of-smaller-new-3ds-1713073614#

Also, I have some progress. The stencil used for the processor costs $150 + shipping to make.
tbh it would cost nintendo practiaclly nothing to make at least a small batch of US normal sized n3DS's the only difference is what FW they flash to it........i guess with people figuring out ways to do it manually they now see that there is atleast some interest in standard sized n3DS's in the US, and in regards to what reggie said in that link it seems like lame reasoning, "oh well the US has the 2DS and JPN doesn't (im actually shocked at that, really didn't know the 2DS didn't hit JPN)....but EU got the 2DS and still got the standard n3DS too.....so not really a valid excuse imo, maybe there was just lots of 2DS stock left over is US and they wanted to shift them before they announce the standard n3DS

going forward, i would say maybe contact the person who did the mod already and see if he could hook you up with either the stencil he used, or even get the work done for you, or simply wait a month or 2 and see if nintendo release/announce the standard n3DS for US

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/o4zjzHyB-I0?si=U77XLBb-jVVqtWXz +1