Hacking New to homebrew/CFW... few questions.

DrkrZen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I only recently began messing with homebrew, and have been dragging my heels in regards to upgrading to CFW, while messing with my Wii U, but I have a question.

From my DS days, I still have both an R4 DS and R4 3DS flashcarts that I backed up my physical game collection to, as well as had some ebooks on... am I able to use either of these on the 3DS with homebrew? Or, would making them available to use only be a feat CFW can do?

Also, one other quick question... I began homebrewing a bit about 2-3 weeks before the most recent 3DS update dropped. I still haven't updated, so would continuing with a tutorial to install CFW be ideal? Or, should I update, then do the whole homebrew -> CFW thing, again? And, what's the most user (see: newb) friendly/recommended CFW?

I've little experience, as I've only messed with modding my PSP ages ago, DS shortly after that and my Wii a few years ago. So, thanks in advance for any advice, help or combination thereof. =)

Kirxivy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
About the R4s, i'm pretty sure they would work on Luma3DS CFW as it automatically patches flashcarts(not sure tho).
As for the update, don't. The exploits used to install CFW were patched on the latest update. you can use ctr-httpwn to access internet services on an outdated firmware.
Luma3DS is the most user friendly CFW as of right now
If you're going to install CFW, you should follow 3ds.guide only (very carefully btw), it will guide you through every step in detail. Be sure to read the main page's description through it's entirety first
Note that installing CFW puts you on the risk of making your 3DS unusable, so be aware of that.
You can also install an EmuNAND instead so that if something goes wrong, only your EmuNAND bricks and not the system itself. Not sure about how to do it in the newer FWs tho

Reactions: DrkrZen

TheToaster

Kishore
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About the R4s, i'm pretty sure they would work on Luma3DS CFW as it automatically patches flashcarts(not sure tho).
As for the update, don't. The exploits used to install CFW were patched on the latest update. you can use ctr-httpwn to access internet services on an outdated firmware.
Luma3DS is the most user friendly CFW as of right now
If you're going to install CFW, you should follow 3ds.guide only (very carefully btw), it will guide you through every step in detail. Be sure to read the main page's description through it's entirety first
Note that installing CFW puts you on the risk of making your 3DS unusable, so be aware of that.
You can also install an EmuNAND instead so that if something goes wrong, only your EmuNAND bricks and not the system itself. Not sure about how to do it in the newer FWs tho
There's no reason for an Emunand anymore, now that we have A9LH CFW. It's much better and it has better support.

OP: As long as you follow that guide exactly, the chance of your system bricking during the process is nearly zero.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

souler92

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
tho i reccomend to read the guide 2 times, EVERY SENTENCE. alot of normies come here crying because they accidentally closed the screen on their N3ds when on old firmware.

anyway read the guide over and over. till you understannd each step(atleast understand how to perform them)

DrkrZen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okie doke, thanks for the info, guys.

The main thing trippin' me up was whether to update first, or install CFW, then update.

And, yeah, souler92, I will. If its one thing I did when I first messed with CFW on my PSP it was check and double check. Even if it meant asking a stupid question before diving into the process. I rather ask a stupid question and get it answered, then brick and feel stupid, lol.

I'm more of a visual guy, so I had a video tutorial up by this guy on YouTube named OperationAndroid, getting an idea of the process. But I'll definitely read and re-read/follow that guide.

Thanks again.

Last edited by DrkrZen,

TheToaster

Kishore
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The main thing trippin' me up was whether to update first, or install CFW, then update.

And, yeah, souler92, I will. If its one thing I did when I first messed with CFW on my PSP it was check and double check. Even if it meant asking a stupid question before diving into the process. I rather ask a stupid question and get it answered, then brick and feel stupid, lol.

I'm more of a visual guy, so I had a video tutorial up by this guy on YouTube named OperationAndroid, getting an idea of the process. But I'll definitely read and re-read/follow that guide.

Thanks again.
Stop.

Don't use video guides. They are likely outdated and even if they are up to date, they may be using a different process, so if you ever go wrong somewhere,

I understand that you may be more of a visual person, but the 3ds Guide website is the most accurate and is always updated and if you follow it step by step, you will be fine. We can't guarantee that your 3DS will not be bricked during the process if you use another video guide.

TheToaster

Kishore
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks again.
Stop.

Don't use video guides. They are likely outdated and even if they are up to date, they may be using a different process, so if you ever go wrong somewhere,

I understand that you may be more of a visual person, but the 3ds Guide website is the most accurate and is always updated and if you follow it step by step, you will be fine. We can't guarantee that your 3DS will not be bricked during the process if you use another video guide.

TheToaster

Kishore
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks again.
Stop.

Don't use video guides. They are likely outdated and even if they are up to date, they may be using a different process, so if you ever go wrong somewhere, we may not be able to offer much help.

Last edited by TheToaster,

souler92

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
please dont follow video guides.

i was once like you , and i understand asking a thousand question to know everything is better then not asking anything and fail.

but really, read everything. read what you need to have. what you can and deffinitly what you CANT do when performing a step.

first time i did it i my heart was pounding like shizzle. but then everything went okay and i felt like a god

DrkrZen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol Will do. Thanks again, fellas.

I'll probably look into doing it this weekend, with some free time, but its also nice to know a helpful community is here. Appreciate the help!

Reactions: TheToaster

TheToaster

Kishore
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol Will do. Thanks again, fellas.

I'll probably look into doing it this weekend, with some free time, but its also nice to know a helpful community is here. Appreciate the help!
No problem. Just keep in mind, if you have a New 3DS, the most dangerous section of the guide to follow is when you have to downgrade to 2.1. If you accidentally shut the lid and put the console into sleep mode during the time it's on 2.1, it will brick.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all