New to android

Discussion in 'Android' started by Rogue_Ninja, Jul 16, 2012.

Jul 16, 2012

New to android by Rogue_Ninja at 8:55 PM (809 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. Rogue_Ninja
    OP

Member Rogue_Ninja GBAtemp Fan

United States
    So ive recently upgraded from iphone 4 to the galaxy s3. Just lookng for some site suggestions. Loking for ring tones and wall paper and anything cool. Thanks for any help.

2. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    You can pretty much use any image you want as a wallpaper, any song you want as a ringtone, and anything cool can be found at XDA-Developers.com

3. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    You should totally checkout xda-developers.
    Awesome site.

4. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    xda-developers is awesome but maybe since you just got Android its not the best place. Most of the stuff there is to do with rooting/flashing phones.

To make custom ringtones or notifications just put any MP3 file onto your phone's SD card or internal memory under "\Ringtones" or "\Notifications" folders depending on which you want it to be. Ringtones is for your contacts calling you while Notifications is for Messages, Twitter etc. (most apps allow you to set a specific tone for their notification rather than all sharing the same).

Wallpaper: Google is your friend. Find a high enough res image and download it to your phone. Set that as the wallpaper and voila. There's not specific sites to provide Android wallpapers because all phones have a different screen res.

Recommended Apps: Dolphin HD (great browser though I'm currently not using it since Pinch Zoom is broken on Jellybean), Nova Launcher (if you don't like touchwiz. Stock ICS/JB launcher with extra customising), Flipboard (very pretty news app. Has several categories to get you started), Google Goggles (mainly use this as a QR code reader. Reads info from pictures and Googles them)

5. yusuo

Member yusuo GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Zedge is a good application to get loads of ringtone, sms tones and wallpapers. It's free on the android market

6. WatchGintama

Member WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    +1 to zedge for ringtones/wallpaper. Also, stop using browser and use chrome or Dolphin HD.

7. Rogue_Ninja
    OP

Member Rogue_Ninja GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Trying out dolohin and. Zedge. How about nes emulators? Anyone suggedt a good one.

8. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Nesoid is the best. For reference, here's a list of other great emulators.

Gameboid - GBA
    Snes9x EX - SNES
    Nesoid - NES
    GBC A.D - GB/GBC
    FPSE - PS1
    psx4droid - Another PS1
    N64oid - N64

9. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    +1 for Nova. I can't stand TW (my mom's Stratosphere has it). Dad and I went to the VZW store today, checked out the GS3, and I am actually kinda impressed with TW on it.

Still. Take away my Nova Launcher and shit is gonna go down.

Edit - let me make my post a little more useful!

Combine the apps "A2DP Volume" and "Car Dock Home V3", both on the play store, if you use your phone as GPS/media in your bluetooth enabled car. A2DP volume maxes all volumes, launches/kills a specified app on device specific bluetooth connect/disconnect, and keeps a gps location of where that gps device last disconnected (where you parked your car). Haven't been able to get A2DP Volume to work with any JellyBean roms on my Galaxy Nexus yet, so whenever your GS3 gets the update to that, that app might not work anymore.

Chrome. Get it.

Pandora is always great.

Google Reader is a good RSS reader (I like it, anyway).

Google Voice is great if you want a second phone number, to give out for reasons such as having a separate business line (me - primary number for personal calls, Voice number for anything computer repair related)

Solid Explorer (still in beta) is a good file explorer.

Candle Free is a mandatory app if you ever bring your phone to a concert and you don't carry a lighter.

10. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Does candle free light your cigarettes for you?
    I use color flashlight - it does both LED and screen lighting.

Also, I like a LOL sites app. Getting funny picture feeds every morning is fun.

11. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    I'd suggest:

Zedge - loads of ringtones and stuff, super fast on my GS2. Should be even better on S3.

Get a torch app. You might need it at times.

ASTRO file manager - particularly useful if you do emulation

You can download pirated stuff and play on your phone, but my MSD corrupted in the end... So...

Also, replace the shit ass Android browser with Chrome. It's faster and sleeker. I use Dolphin as well, but it's based on the shit ass stock browser.

12. chains_of_androm

Member chains_of_androm GBAtemp Regular

United States
    you can try out some remote desktop apps, not sure how smooth they would be but you can probably play some games on them.