Hacking New System Menu Update 4.3

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Blue-K said:
I hope that the next HBC of TT will just have another ID, like before. Until Ninty starts to search with an other method for it, there's no need to do it in another way...
They also blocked the current HBC hack, so that will change too (TT have said multiple times that they have several reserve hacks ready for situations like this).

It does seem that Nintendo has possibly blocked the only good way of installing IOSes to a virgin Wii, though. They blocked the TBR downgrade exploit and Bannerbomb. That's a pity as it means we're back into cboot2 territory (once the new HBC releases) unless somebody discovers another method to allow unsigned IOSes to be installed to the Wii, or a way to downgrade IOSes using one of the latest ones. cboot2 is questionably legal and requires you to e-mail an address to receive it and so on, which just seems really dodgy to me.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have installed SM 4.3u and ios80-v6943 to do some testing

As said:
Bannerbomb v1 = "This Channel cannot be launch on this Wii console"
Bannerbomb v2 = "Error 004, system files corrupt"
Hackmii Installer = "No Vulnerable Ios"

TBR fails with error 1035
Same with dop-mii and others

cBOOT2 functions with ios36-v3607 installed, with bootmii Beta4, as boot2 and ios
cBOOT2 with TBR 1.12 and 1.13, with no ios reload installed patched ios36, to ios36 and ios236

Indiana PWNS- works, loaded Loadmii without issue
SSBB ntsc, Smash Stack- works, loaded Loadmii without issue

SM 4.3 runs just fine on ios60-v6174. cIOSCORP/DARKCORP users can easily patch cIOS60 to install into ios80 and fix functionality. Region changed Korean wiis should also install a version maxed ios60-v6174 into the ios60 slot.

4.3u, 4.3e, 4.3j- all have updated ios preventing TBR, and Hackmii install

Any softmodded wii can easily downgrade to 4.1 or other.
Downgrade requires:
Ios 222 or 223, or 250, or perhaps 202.
or
Any cIOSCORP/DARKCORP cIOS
or
Boot2 bootmii

Apps can be loaded via-
SSBB smash stack on 4.3u
Indiana PWNS
Boot2 Bootmii
disk swap via cIOSCORP/DARKCORP
Prior Channel Install
Prior Forwarder Install

If you are stupid and upgraded to 4.3, and don't want to wait for a fix- google Guide: Downgrade from 4.3 to 4.1
Requires prior softmod

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
That's an amazingly thorough set of tests. I can't think of anything else we need to learn right now.

Now we really need somebody to make a PAL version of Smash Stack, though. More people will have SSBB than LIJ.

Xeridae

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
apoptygma said:
Xeridae said:
I'm the exception here but here is what happened to me. Decided yesterday to get a black wii and softmod it. Did my research the day before and 4.2 was still the latest. So thinking there was no chance in hell they were releasing an update, I just updated my wii like normal and of course I'm stuck with 4.3. I can't even describe how pissed I was. I am sure the softmod guide will be updated for 4.3 but talk about bad luck...

Why would you update at all???? All the black Wiis come with 4.2, no guide anywhere will tell you to update a black wii before modding it. Plus wouldn't you check the version before updating? Why would you think there's no chance of an update? There's *always* a chance of an update, plus 4.2 has been around for ages.

*shakes head* no one to blame but yourself and you're hardly stuck, get a SSBB or Indy disc.

Wrong the black wii's come with 4.1. I know this because it updated twice.

Should I have checked yeah but it had been less than 24 hours since I last checked. It could happen to anyone.

sasha_spb_ru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Sorry for lame question, guys, but I want to be sure.

If I have clean console with 4.2 or 4.1 then whole softmod guide will still works without any trouble?
Or maybe I should made some preparations like using NUSdownloader for downloading to SD proper old IOSes for DOP-Mii and cIOS installers, or something else? Or it is not necessary, because they will always download proper IOSes?

And what should I use for Trucha bug - DOP-Mii v12 or TBR v1.13 (DOP-Mii uses old IOSes and new TBR uses new IOSes)?

I successfully modified old Wii some weeks ago after updating to 4.2, but now I need to modify another console and I'm affraid a little.
Thanks.

LodisKnight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand Nintendo at all...
If this update is meant for the general public, and we need an unofficial cIOS to mirror another IOS, and there's a limit of 256 IOSs, why don't they just write a script in the 4.3 update to delete and stub any IOS that was not published by them? Seems pretty easy to do, and almost a no-brainer. Unless they WANT to have exploits so Nintendo employees can, well, exploit them.
Not to give them any ideas...

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
mattesno1 said:
as of now there is no way to hack a virgin wii with SM 4.3.
Unless it's been prehacked it won't be possible
Actually, you can, but only on early Wiis that can install BootMii as boot2. You use Indiana Pwns or Smash Stack to install BootMii and then use cBoot2 and TBR to install IOS236, then use any homebrew launching method (you could install HBC and have BootMii autoboot to it, avoiding the system menu so that it doesn't get deleted, or just install a forwarder to a different homebrew launcher) to install everything else.

Edit: I was wrong in this statement. Current Hackmii Installer won't work, which breaks the whole thing.

QUOTE(LodisKnight @ Jun 23 2010, 07:47 PM) I don't understand Nintendo at all...
If this update is meant for the general public, and we need an unofficial cIOS to mirror another IOS, and there's a limit of 256 IOSs, why don't they just write a script in the 4.3 update to delete and stub any IOS that was not published by them? Seems pretty easy to do, and almost a no-brainer. Unless they WANT to have exploits so Nintendo employees can, well, exploit them.
If they did that, Nintendo couldn't update IOSes to versions with a proper version number when they eventually do want to use those slots. They would need to change their update code and it seems like they don't want to do that.

LodisKnight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
mattesno1 said:
Actually, you can, but only on early Wiis that can install BootMii as boot2. You use Indiana Pwns or Smash Stack to install BootMii and then use cBoot2 and TBR to install IOS236, then use any homebrew launching method (you could install HBC and have BootMii autoboot to it, avoiding the system menu so that it doesn't get deleted, or just install a forwarder to a different homebrew launcher) to install everything else.

QUOTE(LodisKnight @ Jun 23 2010, 07:47 PM) I don't understand Nintendo at all...
If they did that, Nintendo couldn't update IOSes to versions with a proper version number when they eventually do want to use those slots They would need to change their update code and it seems like they don't want to do that.
Just saying, knowing that they have the ability to delete and stub any IOS on the Wii, they can still use ANY slot to update and actually use and unstub in the future. Also, I am sure they are a very OCD-like company and feel the need to go in order with their IOSs, but even setting their new system menu to 249 instead of 80 would not kill homebrewers by any means, but would throw a huge wrench in the cogs, piss homebrewers (especially waninkoko) off, and give them something to chuckle about.

Styles420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gotta love their blatant references to homebrew code, and the blatant lies about said code - how does being able to run cooler software and free official games impair gameplay?

I say we just chalk it up to a translation error. Clearly, they meant to say "impairs our ability to turn a profit with crappy games" and "This update provides behind-the-scenes fixes that will not affect features but will improve the overall system performance. our ability to control access to competing software which raises the bar, thereby lowering our profits - because we certainly aren't going to stop the stream of crap, nor will we give it a fair price (in other words, we will NOT be paying anyone to play our games)"

Yeah, that's probably closer to what they meant to say

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Dr. Clipper said:
mattesno1 said:

That won't work. HackMii Installer doesn't work with the new IOS on a virgin 4.3 Wii, remember? So you can't install BootMii. You'd need boot2v4 and BootMii/boot2 before the update to be able to do anything.

OzModChips

Trophies
XP
Country
Styles420 said:
Gotta love their blatant references to homebrew code, and the blatant lies about said code - how does being able to run cooler software and free official games impair gameplay?

Its not a total lie....
Rugby Luege 3 cannot be played without certain softmods installed. The iriginal

Its their fault that they check for it...but it does kinda make the statement true

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
SifJar said:
That won't work. HackMii Installer doesn't work with the new IOS on a virgin 4.3 Wii, remember? So you can't install BootMii. You'd need boot2v4 and BootMii/boot2 before the update to be able to do anything.
Oh yeah, I forgot that bit. Never mind the earlier post. Thanks for the correction.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
OzModChips said:
Styles420 said:

Its not a total lie....
Rugby Luege 3 cannot be played without certain softmods installed. The iriginal

Its their fault that they check for it...but it does kinda make the statement true

You mean that Rugby game can't be play if certain softmods are installed. I see a big difference in overwriting files from nintendo, like the system menu with priiloader and IOS with cIOS from cioscorp. And installing stuff additionally to nintendo software, like HBC and the cIOS(as IOS222/3/3 and IOS249/250).

If one overwrites stuff, he can't seriously expect everything to still work properly.

hetfield

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@mauifrog:

I have fw4.1E.
There are only 4 minor flaws in your downgrade tutorial.
I myself tested the waninkoko updater, but that should even be better than the official update, so there's no difference there.

1. With the nintendo update, most cios are replaced with stubs, therefore you can't select them in DOP-Mii.
Only IOS202, 222v5, 224 or 250 aren't stubbed, so could work if previously installed.

2. The wad installation of system menu fw4.1 will not work.
First, I restored all fw4.1 IOS with wadmanager, only the system menu fw4.1 was blocked.
So it must be system menu fw4.3 that blocks it if you install from SD.
The only way i could instal it was with MultiMod Manager -> Manage System Menu -> and download it online.

3. Priiloader will not install with IOS36v3607, it needs IOS36v3551 patched.

4. in fw4.1, Priiloader has no "block online updates".
tongue.gif

happydance

Trophies
XP
Country
i think this has not yet been tested.

do all kinds of modchips fails or just solder types and solderless are still working?

elmariachi

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
fishykipper said:
i dont understand why people are worried?
just dont update?

I haven't updated since 4.1, but it does worry me when my 2 yeah old Wii decides to stop working one day and have to get me a new Wii with SM 4.3 on it
rolleyes.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: