New Super Mario Land

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by kchant, Dec 16, 2010.

Dec 16, 2010

New Super Mario Land by kchant at 4:29 PM (1,851 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. kchant
    OP

Newcomer kchant Newbie

United States
    I'm currently working on a remake of SML and SML2 on the NSMBe 5.1 I have 1-1 done on SML, but I am having difficulty trying to get the screen to scroll up for high places [​IMG] . Any suggestion would be very helpful. I also thought about squeezing some GB Donkey Kong lvls in there some where, but I haven't got that far. I continue update periodically.

2. jceggbert5

Member jceggbert5 Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.

United States
    Go to J.U.L.. They have the 'official' NSMB Hacking section there. Join the forum and ask there!

The camera is weird on some levels, and Dirbaio will know how to fix it for you [​IMG]

Merry Christmas,
    Your Friendly Neighborhood Egg

3. SignZ

Member SignZ Timelord

Germany
    Super Mario Land remakes? Awesome.

At some time we might have all good (the 2D ones) Super Mario games remade with/in NSMB. [​IMG]

4. Presto99

Member Presto99 You slammin, bro?

United States
    That would be pretty sweet if you actually finished this up! Obviously, this wouldn't be the best way to fix the problem, but I'm pretty sure climbing a vine when you are near the top of the screen will make it go up...

5. luckwii

Member luckwii GBAtemp Fan

United States
    You need to change the block 2 hex in the editor for the level you are making. Copy the block 2 data from 1-2 if you want Mario to be low in the screen. Use the block 2 data from 2-5 if you want him higher. Before you open the level in the menu with all the levels in it, there will be a box you can click on at the bottom that says "hex edit". Click on the level you want to copy and then hex edit. Write it down. The click on 1-1-1. Delete its block two and then type the one you want in.

6. mastaclass

Newcomer mastaclass Member

Australia
    will it have the old music? that would be EPIC.

7. Y05h1

Member Y05h1 GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    Sorry about this, but I really have to do it...
    Urban Dictionary
    1. epic
    the most overused word ever, next to fail. for even more asshole points, use them together to form "epic fail."

everything is epic now. epic car. epic haircut. epic movie. epic album. epic shut the fuck up.

saying "epic win" doesn't make you sound any better, either. and for fucks sake, don't ever say it in person.
    DUDE UR POSTCOUNT IZ EPIC FAIL [censored]

LOL EPIC WIN U RUEL

LISTEN TO THIS SONG IT'S SO EPIC

And now back to the topic. I never did play SML2, but I played the first one. Unless I'm mistaken, there was no vertical scroll in it? Of course since it's a new super mario bros. hack, I guess you can't fit enough tiles without having vertical scroll... I'm really curious how you are going to pull off the SML levels though, I mean they were pretty weird... submarines, airplanes and whatnot, plus then there were all those Egyptian themes, etc.
    Good luck with it all.

8. Presto99

Member Presto99 You slammin, bro?

United States
    A lot of levels would have to have adjustments, obviously, but it could still be pretty epic. He could change tilesets for the non-grassland levels. And yes, levels in SML2 did scroll up and down.

9. Y05h1

Member Y05h1 GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    Ah, a taunt directed at me! [​IMG]
    With the recently released New Super Mario Bros. 3, there were hardly any hacks appearance wise, it was all just differently placed tiles. So whilst I'm not too familiar with NSMB hacking, I'm just wondering to what extent can it be tweaked... and how's the difficulty level going to suffer because of the new physics engine? (Or whatever it should be called: the way Mario moves). The original Super Mario Bros. for example would be a cakewalk with NSMB physics...

10. Evo.lve

Member Evo.lve All that you could be.

Australia
    I'd get further into this if I could figure out how to place doors.

11. mrgone

Member mrgone GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    if possible, please make a black & white modus (or some classic game boy colors like white and green)

12. kchant
    OP

Newcomer kchant Newbie

United States
    I have figured my scrolling problem now I trying to decide to just follow the sequence of the games or just trying follow the theme for each level and match it with the theme of the worlds. I found out that between SML and SML2 there is only 44 Level together. Now I going to have to add SML3 in to the game. That show my dilemma because the the lvl won't fill the whole world. What do you guy think I'll take a Poll then find out.

13. kchant
    OP

Newcomer kchant Newbie

United States
    And also I going to just change the tile set for each level, now I don't how to change the music because I'm not sure how to make the music for NSMBe. So for now I going to just change each lvl. I finding out the Mario moves differently than compared to the older ones (duh) so it just a little more difficult to get used to. SML2 lvls don't have enough enemies to make it difficult so I going to add enemies to the lvls.

14. diando

Member diando GBATemp™ Creepy Arceus™

Canada
    Another hack... it is good but I am really waiting for a completed New Retro Mario Bros.

Keep going with your hack.