Gaming New screen question + micro question

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I want to buy a new PC screen, a TFT that is at least 22 inch.
It will mainly be used for gaming.
Is a 5 ms screen still good enough for a hardcore FPS?
I think I will pick a 24" screen, this one.

Samsung SyncMaster T240 - 24 inch LCD - 1920x1200 - 5ms - 1000:1 - Dual - Red/Black

And my micro is very silent in Skype, how can I adjust this?
I've messed around in all the settings of audio on my PC, didn't work.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
5ms might be fast enough, depends on what you like/feel. Personally I feel 5 isn't quite cutting it.

2ms is currently unavailable, unless you use a few intelligent techniques such as brightness enhancing the new pixels over the old ones thus burning that image on your eyes more then the old one. Trust me, you see that technique more then 5ms smere so all in all I dunno (I have a 2 ms screen, you can shut the feature off though).

As for your mic, that sucks
tongue.gif
. I dunno.

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
And with a 24" screen, won't I have ghost screens or so? Because I read that somewhere on the internet.
Is a 24" screen still good for shooters?
Else I'm just gonna buy myself a 22" 2ms TFT
smile.gif

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Kinda depends on what you like yourself (and how far away you will be sitting from the screen). 24 inch seems to me like the limit for fps, but that's me.

As far as ghost images, I'm not quite sure what you mean. If you mean ghostin then yes you will have that problem but you will have that with any TFT. If you mean backlight leak and etc., then all displays are different (models) but all units have differences too.

As for 2ms that remains 5ms with a neat trick to get 2ms which you are quite able to see. Just go out and look at the monitors you are interested in, best way to see which fits you best.

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
BTW, I just got a BSOD, and Windows Vista told me it was caused by the RAID controller.
Could that be true?
Is there any risk involved updating the RAID controller?
What site should I go then?

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sure if it's defective or some drive issue or whatever that could cause a BSOD. Changing one (assuming it is in PCI/PCI-e) can be tricky depending on how you have it setup though (unless it is with an identical unit).

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Thanks for your info Scorpei, I really appreciate it
smile.gif

NVM the BSOD, let's talk further on screens.

I'm gonna buy it online, and by ghosting I mean that you turn the mouse in an FPS and that the screen comes slightly later.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
welcome.

... so you mean if there is a delay in the video sent by your PC and that displayed on screen? Not sure I ever had that unless the game engine made that so (RA3 menu has a reaaally sluggish mouse for example). Still though best thing is to just get out there and look at a screen, but reviews online can also work.

Taza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Yeah, the 5ms isn't a problem, the fact that you need a graphics card that is a black future beast for 1680x1050 is.

Though, I'd suggest the Eizo 22 inch S2201W or it's successor, the S2202W. It's a bit more expensive, top quality, and it has a few awesome features.

Such as:
- Adjustable rescaling. When you're running 1024x768 it shows it either as a box in the middle of the screen surrounded by black sides, a box taking up majority of the screen having vertical bars - but at the correct aspect ratio - or stretched to fill the entire screen.
- Brightregulator. Your screen will automatically adjust based on the ambient lighting.

Egonny

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I bought a T220HD, which is similar, and I haven't ever known problems.
When I bought it (for €250 instead of €400 btw
tongue.gif
), I just had to unpack the screen, put it on the stand, insert the HDMI cable, insert the CD-ROM in the PC and everything was installed.
22" is a good resolution imo, I play shooters sometimes too, and it's really nice to play on such a big screen. (no ghost images too)

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I have a Q6600, 4GB RAM and an 8800GTS 512MB in my PC, so I think I can run 1680x1050 without any problems.

So I'm going for a 22" TFT screen, now I'll just have to check around for the best quality/price
smile.gif

And 5ms is the minimum, right?

Thanks for all the help guys!

Taza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
8ms is the minimum.

You also want something that has adjustable rescaling. You really, really want one as a gamer.

Best adjustable rescaling is of course none stretch fit multiplier, but even the S2201W's none stretch fit is awesome.

And really, look out for cheap deals on Eizo screens.

And oh, no, you can't run 1680x1050 without any problems on max settings on all new games. You want two GX280's in a SLI for that. The processor is right on the money though, even if you could be looking at a newer model there too.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Satangel, yes 5ms is the current minumum a TFT display can reach. Taza I can only assume you mean to say that one would want at least 8ms.

As for rescaling, I have a samsung 226CW, and I simply always use a resolution that has the same aspect ratio at least (and generally always use 1680x1050).

Taza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Yeh, I meant 8ms being what you want at the least.

And oh, choosing a resolution in the same aspect ratio doesn't always work - heck, my Steam account has 5+ games that won't cooperate.

That's why you want rescaling to keep aspect ratio at the very least - or optimally do the exact resolution, scale to aspect ratio, stretch to screen and do exactly double the resolution.

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You will probably find that the screen wont be too much of a problem. Its how the graphics card co-operates with it. I currently use a 22inch TV/Monitor, and it was bitch to start off with, but the problem was actually my 8800GT and its issues with over/underscaling linked to HDMI bullshit.
I ended up just using a VGA connection, and I cant tell the difference from any of my friends 22inch DVI monitors.

And the advice about resolutions in FPS, is certainly something to look out for. You don't wanna go to wide on the games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended