New (old) guy from Canada

mrwienerdog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have been on this site for a while now, but just recently began to ask a few newb questions in the Wii forums. THing is, I think I'm going to get myself a DS, but don't have the foggiest idea where to begin. There are lots of forum topics, but have no idea. Could one of you nice folks offer some suggestions as to the best backup system, and maybe a link to a how to? LIke I said, I have never even looked at a DS, so I am as fresh as can be.
wacko.gif

Thanks,
Wiener

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
yeah! nice to meet you.

The DS is a pretty neat device but still, consider whether you personally think it's gonna be something you'll like after all.

You come at a good time though. Most newer DS flashcarts (the general name for the homebrew and backup sytems) are pretty effective and advanced at what they do.

But, I'll leave someone else t give you their recommendations.

oh, and i think many dollars are becoming godlike in comparison to the USD
happy.gif

mrwienerdog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Every couple of months I have to spend a day at hospital, stuck in a chair, getting an I/V treatment for arthritis. I'm getting tired of watching movies, so I figure the DS is a good way to spend 6 or 7 hours on my ass with no kids to run after.

wiki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hello. The general consensus is that the 3 best ds flashcarts are the cyclods, acekard rpg and r4 ds.

cyclods is considered to be the best out of those three with its features and excellent support team, however there are shortages at the moment and it'll be hard to get a hold of one. It's the most expensive one btw.

Don't know too much about the acekard rpg, however it is open source which sets it apart from the rest.

Lastly, and definitely not least, the r4 ds is the most popular flashcart. It pretty much plays every game out there with a few exceptions such as download play not working with some games. it's the cheapest out of the three I've mentioned.

All three flashcarts use microsd cards to store the roms.

Personally i have an r4 due to its attractive price, and does everything i want: to just play games. Of course you can use homebrew software on it such as ds organise, which is a personal organiser with IRC, web browser, note taker, etc.

zombielove

Trophies
XP
Country
Welcome. If you're not stingy buy a Cyclo DS Evolution with a 4 (or 8) GB SDHC card to play DS illegal ROMs. You don't need to call them backups here - just don't link to them.

If you are stingy, get an R4 with a 2GB Kingston (made in Japan) SD card.

If you wanna play GBA games or use the official DS Browser, buy an EZ Flash 3-in-1 as well.

Buy from dealextreme, bamboogaming or realhotstuff.

That's pretty much all you need to know.

Edit: Yep, Acekard RPG is another option as well.

mrwienerdog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
One more dumbish question. How do they work (not technically). Where do they attatch, etc. Finding roms is no big deal, I would just like to know what I'm getting into.

All the info so far is invaluable. Thanks.

wiki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
According to this list, only one game's download play function doesn't seem to work so it looks like I saved my ass from giving incorrect info. phew. http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/R4_compa..._list#1401-1500

To answer your question wienerdog, the roms are stored on the micro sd. The micro sd is placed in the flashcart and in turn, the flashcart is inserted in the ds' slot 1 (top slot).

Edit: I'd like to throw in the eWin expansion pack, if you want to play gba games and use the browser. The browser's not too good but if you want to use it, the option is there for you.

The eWin expansion pack loads gba games faster than the ez 3-in-1, however as of now there's only a chinese support forum. That's ok, since you can easily download updates for it if you look around on these forums. More specifically, the eWin dedicated sub-forum.

The only place to buy it is from here: http://www.psxboy.com/782_Ewin-Expansion-Pak.html Shipping is $2 i believe.

Gba games are also stored on the micro sd. When you play them, they are first loaded into the expansion pack's ram before running them.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Welcome old guy. We old guys are takin' over the joint...
Today GBAtemp.. tomorrow... CANADA!

Anyway, I've got a G6 Real (slot one) and a G6 Lite (slot two) and I couldn't be happier with the products.
The Real is easy as pie, and the Lite is great for stuffing full of old GBA games that us oldschoolers love.

Check out the Reviews and Guides in the site's banner, and post any questions you have. PM me if you need a hand getting around the site, though it looks like you found introductions just fine, so I ain't worried about you.
wink.gif

edit: Oh yeah.. Hurray for wiener dogs!

mrwienerdog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So let me get this straight..... R4 cards. Are there different 'brands' that fall under R4. In other words, is this Supercard an R4? If so, what is the best R4? Is there a difference.

THanks again, and all hail wieners.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @NinStar, why you hurting your sisters