New Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Danny600kill, Nov 4, 2012.

Nov 4, 2012

New Macbook Pro by Danny600kill at 12:37 PM (382 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Danny600kill
    OP

Member Danny600kill xD

United Kingdom
    I've just bought myself a macbook pro :) It's the I7, 8gb Ram, 750gb HDD version, up to now im loving it, taking me a bit of time to get used to OS-X but that was to be expected.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any programs I should install that are must haves. Up to now I've got VLC, Chrome, Spotify and that's about it :)

2. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    uTorrent if OSX does not have a torrent client preinstalled? You might want some emulators as well. Oh and Steam if you want to play Team Fortress among other stuff. I do not know if OSX has Pages/Word built in but you may want that as well.
    Maybe Skype if you want to video chat with people who don't have Facetime?

Edit: And you may want a disk defragmenter and a virus scanner. I'm not 100% sure if you need the latter, but I do know Macs are not immune to fragmented hard disks.

3. Danny600kill
    OP

Member Danny600kill xD

United Kingdom
    I forgot to mention I have downloaded Vuze as well :) (That's always been my preferred torrent client). Skype is a very good idea, as other than my family and a few mates most people don't have apple products :) I don't have any office software and cannot afford Office , are there any good office softwares that can save documents as Microsoft offices file formats :)

4. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    Libreoffice is a free program that's somewhat compatible with Microsoft Office documents. It has trouble processing stuff with a lot of complicated markup, but it will open and save simple Office files just fine. Pages is the official paid Apple version AFAIK and it is more compatible. I'm not sure how expensive it is though. You can get Libreoffice for Mac here.

5. Danny600kill
    OP

Member Danny600kill xD

United Kingdom
    I will have a look at both of them and see what I think, I may just end up getting Pages if it's not too expensive :) Thanks

6. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    Ah right, here's an official link with information about iWork (Pages is just the Word component) http://www.apple.com/iwork/

7. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
  8. _V1qY

Member _V1qY GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Pirate MS Office. Or use Vi editor.

9. Daku93

Member Daku93 GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    You didn't mention what size you got. If it's 15" or 17" I'd suggest getting gfxCardStatus. It's a handy little tool that allows you to choose if you want to use the default automatic switching of the GPU or lock it to either the integrated one or the discrete. It also shows which one you are using right now, and what programms force the discrete one to be used.

10. Danny600kill
    OP

Member Danny600kill xD

United Kingdom
    After checking the reviews for pages and the rest of the mac office software and they look sub par. I think I might look into MS Office for mac, just be easier. The only quarrel is that it costs a hell of a lot for what it is.

Edit : I have a 13inch Macbook . I wanted a smaller one so that I can carry it around with me to work, mate's houses ect :)