Hardware New laptop advice please :)

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Lali ho.

Long story short, my trusty netbook is...well, it's fucked, let's not beat around the bush. It overheats, trying to watch a video on YouTube causes it to take four hours off to sulk in the corner, it gives me electric shocks at random (seriously). It's beyond repair, but after the best part of a decade of hard service I can't much complain. I am therefore in need of a new machine, and since I figured it was time for quality rather than my usual approach of 'get the cheap one', I found this...

http://www.ebuyer.com/479753-lenovo-ideapad-z585-laptop-mad6duk

It's expensive, but to be fair paying for it on credit might take 2 years and cost more, but £20 a month is something I won't even notice. Assuming I pass the credit check, of course. Thing is, right now I only use my netbook for basic web access, VERY basic gaming (IE: Streets of Rage Remake is enough of a challenge for the poor thing), word processing, etc. But I feel that if I had a machine capable of doing more, I could expand my horizons.

Thing is, I'm a complete techno-newb. All thee stats and talk about chip sets and the like makes my eyes spin like a starving kid being handed free popcorn chicken. So could someone please give me the info in basic English? Right now I work off an Intel Atom N270 eMachines netbook, 1GB RAM, 160GB hard drive (Damn near full) and the battery lasts around 25 minutes on its own. Compared to this shit-brick of a machine I have now, what would this new machine be capable of doing? What sort of games could I play, what programs will run smoothly, is it worth the money, does anyone have a viable alternative, etc?

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
What do you plan on using it for?

I'd like to be able to run creative programs again like PhotoShop (the mere mention of it makes this thing's hard drive sweat), expand my horizons and experiment with the newer technology and programs that my netbook flat out can't handle. I don't really know much about what computers these days can do because mine just outright can't do anything, but I'd like to be able to come to the 'Temp without it requiring 80% of my processing power, for starters.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anything with "CORE ix" and "NVIDIA" in the description usually don't disappoint.

Pretty much this. I have a Lenovo Y570 which has a Core i7, 2 GB video card, but I have to have a cooler. When choosing CPUs, a Core i5 generates less heat than a Core i7. Core i5s would be more than enough and will suit your needs perfectly. When it comes to brands, avoid Dell like the plague as well as Compaq; both have higher failure rates than normal.

Reactions: kehkou

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Pretty much this. I have a Lenovo Y570 which has a Core i7, 2 GB video card, but I have to have a cooler. When choosing CPUs, a Core i5 generates less heat than a Core i7. Core i5s would be more than enough and will suit your needs perfectly. When it comes to brands, avoid Dell like the plague as well as Compaq; both have higher failure rates than normal.

I can't imagine anything with a higher fail rate than my current machine. Except possibly an original model Xbox 360. The system I linked to, my one technically minded friend around here says that's about as up to date as I can get for the time being without building it myself (bugger that, I struggle cooking pizzas). I know this machine will be a significant improvement over the current model (then again so would a Commodore 64) but what exactly would I be able to do with it? List some things you can do with this machine, and if I find enough that pique my interest then it's a worthy investment :)

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
Trophies
XP
Country
The laptop you posted is good for gaming and general software(Photoshop, as you mentioned), but it'll fail at processor-intensive applications (for example, emulation on this machine can only lead you up to PS2). I personally prefer Intel since I lost faith in AMD when my old laptop's processor overheated and died, so a laptop with an i3 and a non-integrated Nvidia graphics card will be perfect for your needs. If you could possibly fork out some extra money for the Lenovo Ideapad y580(my current laptop), I can guarantee you that everything works flawlessly on it(well, except when I'm recording, but that's another story).

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The laptop you posted is good for gaming and general software(Photoshop, as you mentioned), but it'll fail at processor-intensive applications (for example, emulation on this machine can only lead you up to PS2). I personally prefer Intel since I lost faith in AMD when my old laptop's processor overheated and died, so a laptop with an i3 and a non-integrated Nvidia graphics card will be perfect for your needs. If you could possibly fork out some extra money for the Lenovo Ideapad y580(my current laptop), I can guarantee you that everything works flawlessly on it(well, except when I'm recording, but that's another story).

I have the Y570 (the model before the Y580), and it does run pretty well, even games like Skyrim at near full speed, but it does get pretty hot without a laptop cooler. I'd highly recommend the OP getting one as laptops can get pretty dang hot. Make sure that whatever a person gets, he/she ensures the ventilation isn't inhibited, is free of dust and there's plenty of airflow. With a cooler, I often get up to 80 Celsius, but rarely does it ever exceed that. That is hot, but hardly dangerous, as most are rated to go anywhere from 100 to 105 Celsius before shutting down. Laptops are made to reach higher temps than desktops due to smaller space.

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

My PS2's hacked anyway so emulation's not an issue. But aside from that, what CAN'T this new machine do? Right now I can't even play games like Dawn of War Soulstorm. My machine balks at the idea. Gaming's not going to be its central purpose though, I want to exercise my creative side more. Right now all I can do creatively is write my novels, and even then half the time they don't get saved properly. Christ, I've rewritten my FF7 masterpiece four times now thanks to dodgy saves and chapters going walkabouts.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My PS2's hacked anyway so emulation's not an issue. But aside from that, what CAN'T this new machine do? Right now I can't even play games like Dawn of War Soulstorm. My machine balks at the idea. Gaming's not going to be its central purpose though, I want to exercise my creative side more. Right now all I can do creatively is write my novels, and even then half the time they don't get saved properly. Christ, I've rewritten my FF7 masterpiece four times now thanks to dodgy saves and chapters going walkabouts.

Programs like Photoshop should run without issue, but if you're doing something like 3D modelling with Maya, Blender, etc, you'll need a beefier CPU.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3D modelling? See, this is how behind the times I am. It all goes right over my head.

Making 3D models for games, etc. 3DS Max is one such program, but requires a pretty potent processor. Something like this
Unfinished-Car-3D-Model-Wireframe.jpg

ilman

Trophies
XP
Country
3D modelling? See, this is how behind the times I am. It all goes right over my head.
Don't worry, 3D modelling is only for well-trained game developers and animators. If you aren't shooting for either, you won't need it. Heck, I consider myself a game developer and I have yet to learn how to import 3D models into my programs. You said that you're into writing, so the laptop you posted on the first post should do the trick for basic gaming and writing in Word. But, I still recommend an Intel + Nvidia combo since those tend to last longer than AMDs.

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Making 3D models for games, etc. 3DS Max is one such program, but requires a pretty potent processor. Something like this
Unfinished-Car-3D-Model-Wireframe.jpg

Well, I'm contemplating going back to college to study either games design, forensics or to get my English degree to add a little more weight to my career as an author. I don't need a super computer or anything, but something that would enable me to work without all manner of technical problems would be nice.

ilman

Trophies
XP
Country
I can recommend the Lenovo IdeaPad G580AH. It has an i3, a middle-range graphics card and it shouldn't cost more than 350 pounds(it costs 900 BGN here). It'll play pretty much any game on medium settings and should run everything else without a hitch(well, except 3D modelling and animation, but you already said that you have no such intentions).

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I can recommend the Lenovo IdeaPad G580AH. It has an i3, a middle-range graphics card and it shouldn't cost more than 350 pounds(it costs 900 BGN here). It'll play pretty much any game on medium settings and should run everything else without a hitch(well, except 3D modelling and animation, but you already said that you have no such intentions).

Seems like these Lenovo IdeaPads are certainly the way to go. To be honest since I'll be paying on finance the final cost is largely irrelevant, I won't even notice £20 a month missing out of my bank, I spend that much on cheese every two weeks. So I may as well go for the most advanced model I can get my hand on, that way it'll stay reasonably capable for longer, right? Won't become obselete quite so fast. Hence the one I linked to, which as far as I can tell is the most up to date one.

ilman

Trophies
XP
Country
Seems like these Lenovo IdeaPads are certainly the way to go. To be honest since I'll be paying on finance the final cost is largely irrelevant, I won't even notice £20 a month missing out of my bank, I spend that much on cheese every two weeks. So I may as well go for the most advanced model I can get my hand on, that way it'll stay reasonably capable for longer, right? Won't become obselete quite so fast. Hence the one I linked to, which as far as I can tell is the most up to date one.
In that case get an Idea pad y580 with an SSD. It's pretty much the most future-proof laptop out there for less than 1000 pounds and I'm loving mine. It also has a back-lit keyboard, which can help you when you're writing. I have yet to see the thing overheat or crash on me and I've had one since its release.

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
In that case get an Idea pad y580 with an SSD. It's pretty much the most future-proof laptop out there for less than 1000 pounds and I'm loving mine. It also has a back-lit keyboard, which can help you when you're writing. I have yet to see the thing overheat or crash on me and I've had one since its release.

Any idea how much this is likely to set me back? Asking Google will take my netbook the rest of the week, so if you have a link I could check out..?

ilman

Trophies
XP
Country
Any idea how much this is likely to set me back? Asking Google will take my netbook the rest of the week, so if you have a link I could check out..?
I...actually have no idea. I bought mine for 1700 BGN (roughly 700 pounds) at launch and it seems the price is the same at Amazon UK. I bought it from a local shop because they gave me a discount. :D
I can recommend the SSD version if you have 100 pounds to spare, but if you're a cheapskate like me, get the 1tb HDD version with a 720p display (I see no need of 1080p on a 15.6 inch screen). Or you could just buy the cheaper one and later replace the DVD drive with an SSD, which is what I'm planning to do some day. I could search a bit tomorrow when I'm on my laptop, but , since I'm typing this from my phone, I can't.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They really wanna get the head