New iPod Touch model released

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by endoverend, Jul 15, 2015.

1. endoverend
    OP

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    [​IMG]
    The 6th generation of the iPod Touch has been released.

It features much improved components compared to its predecessor. It uses the A8 chip, the same chip as the one found in the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, though it is clocked down slightly due to battery constraints. it features a new M8 motion processor including features like enhanced gyro sensors and a pedometer. It has a 4 inch retina display (same size as the iPhone 5 and 5s). It runs on 64-bit architecture. The rear facing camera is now the same one as the iPhone 6, which has 8 megapixels and features burst mode, 120FPS slo-mo, cinematic video stabilization, and more.

The 16 GB model starts at $199, the 32 GB model is $249, the 64 GB model is $299, and a brand new 128 GB model is $399. It comes in one of seven colors.

This is a very significant upgrade and the high-storage model is a good choice for music fanatics. The device certainly has some good specs to go with it. I guess the iPod Touch wasn't abandoned after all.

:arrow:Source

Last edited by endoverend, Jul 17, 2015
    Dr.Hacknik likes this.

2. ComeTurismO

ComeTurismO CTO

Sep 18, 2011
    Canada
    4:54 PM
    I love the price of the 16th GB iPod Touch. Guess what I gon' get for me birthday in October :p1ng:

3. guitarheroknight

guitarheroknight 1.6180339887

Nov 9, 2014
    Croatia
    Grand Line
    The 5th gen ipod touch?

2Hack likes this.
  4. endoverend
    OP

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    6th gen, actually.

5. raynor_ni

raynor_ni Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    That price for 128G is RIDICULOUS.

6. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Meh. Still pricey, still no external memory support.

At least this will finally drop the price of older used models I guess.

KingVamp likes this.
  7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Is there any reason why iPods still exist when just about anything plays music these days? Why aren't MP3 players dead yet? I can understand "rugged" ones for sports people or people in dangerous lines of work/hobbies, but just normal players? This is just an iPhone minus the "phone" bit.

8. endoverend
    OP

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Mostly for the price factor.This is way cheaper than an iPhone 6.

9. 3DSXLGamer

3DSXLGamer GBAtemp Regular

May 16, 2013
    Canada
    Animal Forest
    Not sure those people should be listening to music :unsure:

ProtoKun7, filfat, Walker D and 5 others like this.
  10. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    apple should have made an iphone like the 5th gen touch
    they should make something like the 5c ,call it the 6c basically a 5th gen ipod touch looking phone
    with iphone 6,ipod touch 6 specs
    like iphone 5 had 5c only thinner with colored annodized aluminum body like ipod instead of plastic

11. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    OP, do you mind making the image a bit smaller?

Regarding these iPod Touches why do they still exist? If it's for people to listen to music they can pretty much use any media device and a huge chunk of them already own a smartphone so it's capable of it.

The Apple morons will buy be there to buy it day one, anyway.

migles likes this.
  12. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    probably for parents who want to buy their kid something that does everything a smartphone does but who don't want them to have a cell phone

13. WiiCube_2013

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Kids with 5 and 6 years old already have smartphones and iPads so again, why bring back the iPad Touch? It's just an iPhone without the ability to make phone calls.

14. endoverend
    OP

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States

15. leafeon34

leafeon34 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 30, 2014
    I bought a 5th gen iPod touch in February. This news kinda sucks for me, but oh well. I bought the 16 GB model knowing it was bound to become obselete sooner or later. I was already thinking of buying an iPad for the bigger screen.

As for what I use it for Anki (flashcards app), ebook reader, taking photos, WeChat (Chinese Facebook) and gaming.

16. WiiCube_2013

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Considering how restrictive and limited the Apple devices can be why the fuck not go with an Android device instead? Oh guess it's because it looks "cool" and also as it's extremely basic for people who aren't very used to media handhelds but then again, drag and drop is very easy to do too on Android cards (way better than installing the damn iTunes).

Want to insert a memory card with a bigger size to store data on your Android? No prob. Can you do this on an iPhone/iPod? Nope.

17. rufuszombot

rufuszombot Assassin

Apr 13, 2010
    United States
    The Moon
    I had a 3rd Gen iPod touch because it was practical at the time. It was also handy for playing music in public places without giving up your phone. It was also convenient for using in a car, and I had the 32Gb model, so I just kept it full and didn't worry about hogging all the storage on my phone. Inevitably, that one broke and I felt lost without it. Then my roommate gave me his 5th gen when he got a 64gb iPhone 6 and an iPad mini. I'm using it right now.

18. Septimo

Septimo GBAtemp Regular

Apr 23, 2013
    United States
    Personally, I'm an Android power user and have a pretty decent phone, a One Plus One. It's a really great, reliable device and love Android's potential. However, in my opinion, Android's music capabilities leave something to be desired. I'm not a huge fan of iOS or Apple's OS in general, but I do appreciate their design and hardware. It works. Every time. I honestly wanted an updated iPod Touch (mostly for music), and since the last iteration was nearly a few years ago, I was beginning to think it was now obsolete.

A lot of people are Apple fanatics that will buy just about anything, but there are consumers that like their design, hardware, execution, and capabilities. It's all about how they can fit into your needs. So, not everyone buys one because "it looks cool" or are incapable of operating other devices.

xeronut likes this.
  19. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I'm going to blow your mind - you STILL need a phone and unless you buy a stone age one, it already plays multimedia files. These devices, much like PDA's and, to a lesser extent PNA's, have no reason to exist anymore, they're like telegraphs or pagers in the age of smartphones, they've outlived their usefulness.

20. Septimo

Septimo GBAtemp Regular

Apr 23, 2013
    United States
    I think iPod's still have relevancy in that they're budget multimedia players that use a polished, reliable OS with a premium design and build. I have a OnePlus One, but I'll definitely pick one up for general music playing and the occasional, exclusive iOS app. :)