New Homebrew Game...More or Less

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by LightyKD, Aug 22, 2008.

Aug 22, 2008
  1. LightyKD
    OP

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    OK, first off, I want to say... DON'T give your hopes up too much. Secondly, I am currently working on this but, being as this is a homebrew project it can easily be canned. Like the title says, I am working on a homebrew fighting game Called Soul Calibur Vs. Power Rangers. it's kinda in vain of Marvel VS. Capcom and Everyone VS. Everyone. This will be a 2D fighter with a cell shaded look but It wont be uber cartooney or anything. Just my way of giving a faux 3D look to the game. As this is my first major Wii homebrew project, before I get into the real nitty gritty I'll be doing some research on sprite editing and coding on the Wii. Hopefully I will be able to gather enough interest to get more help. If all goes well I will be able to have a demo by holiday this year. I'm also looking forward to being able to show you my first character models by sometime late next week or maybe the week after. I kinda have a business trip soon that might delay things. All in all, whatever you guys do, DONT make a huge fuss YET. At least wait till I get more done with my character models. I will keep you posted as things progress.

Milk & Cookies
    Lightning Kid =[​IMG]=

P.S. If anyone is intrested in characters planned for the game or the base controls I can post them here but only by request. Also, I'm looking for info about programing Wii motion sensing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: May a mod please move this to the Homebrew section. Sorry about the inconvenience. Last time I checked the link to the Homebrew Games and Apps section wasn't loading on my screen so I kinda thought that it was gone due to the lack of activity.

2. FGOD

Member FGOD Wii gaming bitch

Netherlands
    this sound cool! i will follow your progress on this!

3. Sstew

Member Sstew GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.

United States
    Sounds sweet, Wouldn't mind kicking some Power Ranger ass [​IMG]

4. HowardC

Member HowardC GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Sounds great except for the power rangers part. Could you please pick a non-homosexual group of characters to fight instead of the power rangers?

You know tmnt, x-men, voltron force... something else?

[​IMG]

5. FGOD

Member FGOD Wii gaming bitch

Netherlands
    like Sstew said, there is nothing better then kick power ranger ass [​IMG]

6. lolsjoel

Member lolsjoel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Good luck. I'll be following your project!

7. LightyKD
    OP

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    Ok here's some more info about the game. First off lets get to the programming bits about the game...

Like I said earlier, I'm a complete Wii programming noob but I think I found something that might make completing the game a lot easier. anybody who is familiar with flash should know about the Opera SDK that allows for wii motion control in flash games made for the Wii's web browser. A friend of mine and I were thinking about having me program the game in flash (since it's way easier for me) and then he would make a flash homebrew app for the wii that will load the game allowing for the end user to play the game. It's just a thought so like I said earlier, let's not get over our heads yet.

Today I wanted to give you some info about the controls. First here is the key setup

Wii Remote
    - (A) = Melee attack
    - = Block
    - Vertical Swing = Vertical Slash
    - Horizontal Swing = Horizontal Slash
    - (+) Main Menu/Pause
    - (-) Taunt

Nunchuck
    - Control Stick = Movement/ Double Tap to run
    - Â = Special
    - [Z] = Grab
    - Nunchuck Swing Down = Finishing Blow

This game will NOT be like your normal fighting game. There will be no hitting the opponent till the meter drops and the KO in this game. If any of you are familiar with the THQ wrestling games of the N64 days, this game will feature a spirit meter in which you need to work your opponents momentum down and only when the meter turns blue (or purple/"losing it", if you can chain your combos well) will you be able to perform the finishing blow to KO your opponent. The finishing blow can be reversed but you're lucky if you can reverse it. Now there was something I wanted to say about reversals but right now my mind is focused on finishing my sprites. Like I said hopefully I can show you guys some progress by the end of the week. See ya later [​IMG]

Milk & Cookies,
    Lightning Kid =[​IMG]=