New GOG feature called GOG Connect

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Attila13, Jun 3, 2016.

?

What do you think about this feature?

1. Awesome

2. Awful

3. Meh...

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Attila13
    OP

Attila13 Praise the Creep!

Oct 11, 2010
    Romania
    Zalau,Romania
    gog_connect.jpg
    GOG launched a new feature called GOG Connect. It's a neat little feature that lets you connect your two accounts and "import" your steam games to your GOG account and duplicate them, and you'll be able to keep them in both places! Think of it like some kind of a backup system. This is great for users who hate Steam's DRM and like to play games DRM free. Just go to the link and see if your favorite game is available yet for syncing.
    As of now (3rd of June 2016) there are only 28 games available, but there will be more with time! But hurry, because for contractual reasons you only have 5 days to "import" these games, and every time a game is made available, you'll have a period of 5 days to import it, before it gets unavailable for import. Let's hope that this will be changed in the future. :)

Steps to "import" your eligible steam games to GOG:

1. Log in to your GOG account
    2. Go to this page
    3. If you have eligible games you'll get a list with them, just click "Add Games"
    4. Enjoy!

P.S.
    You can check back time to time and click the refresh button on the page, to see if there are new games that got approved to "import"!
    So what do you guys think of this new feature? I myself think it's pretty neat and awesome, for many reasons, which include DRM free, owning the games on multiple accounts, having the ability to play your favorite games even if you don't have access to steam due to blocked ports or similar, and most of the save files being compatible between the services is even greater for those who use both. :)

:arrow:Source

Last edited by Attila13, Jun 3, 2016
  2. WiiU

WiiU Lurking in the Shadows

May 7, 2014
    Between worlds of Hyrule & Lorule
    This is good. If steam ever goes bankrupt or you have a major problem with thier terms of service you can keep playing some of your games.

Attila13 likes this.
  3. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    woa! now things are starting to ger serious!
    i remember when i was a humble bundle aholic, i loved that i could get the games directly from humble bundle and play them without restrictions, and i could as well have them in my steam games list.. hope that in the future this evolves to multiplataform..

4. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Fake News Reporter

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    This is a bit misleading. What about you sync your account today and buy a new Steam game after 6 days. Will you be able to import it?

5. Attila13
    OP

Oct 11, 2010
    Romania
    Zalau,Romania
    If a game is made available to import, you'll have 5 days to import it to GOG. I'll edit that, thanks for the tip. :)

6. WiiUBricker

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Will you be able to import game updates as well?

7. Attila13
    OP

Oct 11, 2010
    Romania
    Zalau,Romania
    Well, GOG update their games regularly, so I don't think why there shouldn't be updates as well.

8. WiiUBricker

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    I think this bit is interesting for those who intend to use this service as game backup:

9. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I'm genuinely impressed here. Sure, the five days seems like a teaser to draw people into the GoG store ('find out if your games are eligible now...or tomorrow...or after that...'), but coming from someone who uses both platforms, this is absolutely great. Using this, I can already import more than a handful of games I own on steam, and due to the nature of GoG, download them without the need of the steam client. :D

(no, I don't think steam will go bankrupt soon, but this is the best way to be completely sure).

Attila13 likes this.
  10. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Just tried it. Man...14 games instantly added to gog. Some interesting note: I have 'trine' on steam and it unlocks Trine: enhanced edition on GoG. Same for FTL ! :D

Attila13 likes this.
  11. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Okay, I'm triple posting here. But with good reason (and half a week later): new games have been added to GoG connect. Sort of hard to say which ones or even if others have disappeared, but doorkickers and kona are certainly new ones. So if you have these on steam and want a non-DRM one for it...head over to gog.com. :)

(and no, I won't be updating this post every time I notice new stuff)

Attila13 likes this.
  12. Attila13
    OP

Oct 11, 2010
    Romania
    Zalau,Romania
    Nice. :)

And there's no need for that...With a quick bookmark everyone, who is interested can check if there are new games. Who is interested, the available games to "import" can be found on the connect page, under UNAVAILABLE games....Yes...it sounds weird and ironic, but it's true. :lol:
    Sadly GOG isn't announcing users who connected their steam accounts by e-mail with the newly added games to "import", because I'd update the thread myself so it would be easier for everyone.

For the lazy ones...

Taleweaver likes this.