danweb

OP
Trophies
Website
www.syn.org.au
XP
Country
Hi everyone,

I've been running off of old computer technology ever since I was born. I always used whatever people were throwing out. I have recently acquired a sum of about $1000. I am happy to spend all and maybe a bit more of this. I'm only going to buy a computer that just comes off the shelf rather than a custom PC and I am only interested in a laptop as I want the mobility. I have been having trouble selecting a computer as I have no idea what all the numbers and codes mean for the GPU and CPU. I was wondering if anyone here could be able to let me know a computer, or a graphics card I could look for in a laptop that would suit my budget for the full computer.

Thank you all so much in advance for the help. I really appreciate it as not many people have been able to help.
-DanWeb

danweb

OP
Trophies
Website
www.syn.org.au
XP
Country
That totally depends on what you're going to do on it.

Specifically.

Good point. I want the best gaming PC that I can get with the money that I have. I want to be able to play games that I haven't been able to play for ages. Total War, Crysis and even Limbo.

Thanks again for your help.

geoGolem

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am similar to you regarding never having the latest cutting edge computer hardware. I have mostly been a console gamer for this reason - I just find it such a pain in the ass and the wallet to keep up with the requirements of PC gaming.

I'm also quite tech savvy but am by no means an expert and I mean absolutely no offense with my opinions/suggestions/comments.

I see so many people over on the Tom's Hardware forum ask similar questions regarding the best laptop for gaming. Some are even willing to spend $3000 on a gaming laptop. My opinion and the general consensus is "DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON A GAMING LAPTOP"

The reality of the situation is that for $1000 - $1500 you can buy a pretty amazing Desktop computer that can play the latest games on high settings. If you spend $3000 on a laptop you wont even come close to the performance of that desktop. Having said all that, laptops designed/sold with gaming in mind are power hungry... are generally bulkier, and have horrible battery life. You can get a decent portable laptop that will be great at everything but games for ~$500. I always reccomend build/buy a nice desktop computer for gaming and buy a much cheaper laptop for portability/work. If you spend so much money on an expensive gaming laptop are you really going to want to take it with you anywhere and risk it being stolen etc.?

With a cheaper *portable* laptop you will enjoy the portability/battery life and cheaper cost while simulatenously enjoy the power/performance of an awesome desktop.

Anyway, the point of my post here is to really stress the issue regarding expectations in a laptop regarding gaming/power consumption etc. Yes, it is possible to get a nice gaming laptop but they are extremely expensive and still only offer a fraction of the performance that a much cheaper desktop computer would provide.

Based on my experience, I value portability/battery life in a laptop which is the complete opposite of what pc gaming entails/requires.

Just my 2 cents! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 person

danweb

OP
Trophies
Website
www.syn.org.au
XP
Country
I see so many people over on the Tom's Hardware forum ask similar questions regarding the best laptop for gaming. Some are even willing to spend $3000 on a gaming laptop. My opinion and the general consensus is "DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON A GAMING LAPTOP"

I completely understand what you are saying, and in a usual situation I would agree, but. I need to use this computer for work as well, a desktop computer is not an option. It is unfortunate, but it is the case.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"to keep up with the requirements of PC gaming"
With consoles as popular as they are most games are built to DX9 specs (the underlying hardware of the 360 and PS3) and thus do not require silly powerful components unless you absolutely must have everything on high whatever that means (hint you can usually go higher by tweaking things/with addons meaning it is a marketing term at best). Of course this in some ways runs contrary to what follows.

Your lack of desire to build a machine may come back to haunt you- you may well be able to salvage a good chunk of stuff from an existing machine (likely case and PSU) and at least use it to get you by for a couple of months (much more possibilities if you use old stuff as a stopgap) and if you do not need a monitor, keyboard and mouse on top of that even better. I appreciate the desire for a "clean break"

Portability..... I am half inclined to say VNC exists for a reason but that is not ideal on an Aus internet connection although it does work very well on a local network (granted I have yet to find a truly satisfactory method for games). A grand will buy you a half nice laptop (I will throw my hat in with the gaming laptops are at best a misnomer and at worst a con crowd) but what I really wanted to say is might it be worth looking at a small tablet or netbook or something that can type basic things, emails, tweak things here and there if portability is really a desirable thing and then have a beast sitting somewhere for as and when. Better yet if you are so inclined many credit card companies and such will offer little netbooks for signing up with them (nothing to stop you slicing the card in half right after you get sorted).

Equally damned if I ever want to do long typing/programming/precision work on a laptop ever again- almost sure fire RSI that way unless you get a proper desk, keyboard, mouse, placement for it.... at which point you might as well have got a full machine.

"so the design of Alienware hardware is possibly a little bit too much for me"
Granted Originality was just stating copying their parts and dodge their pricetag (alienware are very much a trendy brand with all that it entails) but I am curious and although it is probably another entry in the very long list of reasons we do not consult me on matters of aesthetics but please do elaborate.

Now I have said precisely nothing of great value I will however echo the request for what exactly do you care to do on it- web dev, document writing, database/accounting, multimedia editing......

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
Trophies
XP
Country
There are two possible things you can do:
1. Get a small laptop for 1000$(alienware m14x is 14" which should be enough mobility, mehh specs and as far as I know it has a good battery life.This laptop can run most games on medium settings.)
2.(better in my opinion) Buy yourself a console/desktop and a buisness notebook. A console nowadays tends to be ~250 USD, has many exclusives that a pc doesn't have, but it runs most games on low setting compared to a pc.That doesn't matter since you most likely wont be looking at the monitor from a distance.
You can buy a good gaming rig for ~800 USD, which will run all games on high settings without a problem.
A small buisness laptop wont't be so expensive. Heck my frieand bought one for 300USD half a year ago and it plays minecraft(which needs a powerful processor and a lot of RAM) perfectly at medium/low setting.

So I'd say buy/build yourself a computer/console and get a buisness notebook.

Reactions: 1 person

geoGolem

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ya, I totally agree with ilman, buy yourself a desktop pc or console to satisfy most gaming needs and a nice portable business class notebook for work. If you go for a desktop you can then always setup RDP and access the desktop remotely if you need to or can make use of a service like dropbox to keep your "work stuff" in sync.

option 1 of his proposal isn't bad either as long as the laptop is portable and has good battery life/heat dissipation. If you can get away with that plus playing the latest games on medium settings for $1000 all the more power to you.

personally too, I would prefer to wait and build/buy the computer around Oct/Nov timeframe or hold off even longer if possible due to Windows 8 being released in October and potential changes to the finer details of notebook hardware following... most likely anything you buy today will run Windows 8 no problem if you wish - its just the finer details that may be lacking. I have no idea how things will change but personally I'm sticking to what I have until after that hurtle is crossed. You may not be able to do that as you may need the machine sooner.. These are just my opinions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Nowadays pc mice come as light as can be, liked mine with some heft
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like holding girth
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I also listen to Beck, some of their songs are fine. Only found out about them through Windows Me; you know, that one operating system nobody ever likes?
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: $12 large any style pizza deal