Hardware New 3DS XL Screen Problem??

drsalvador555

Japanese Game Translation Editor
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I noticed something, I opened up my New 3DS XL and put the Micro SD card onto the computer. After I was done I put it back into the 3DS and booted it up. I noticed something strange then, my top screen was completely black (minus backlight). I thought it was strange and moved the hinge, sure enough it popped up on screen. But I noticed if it moves out of a couple spots (which seem to change) it glitches out and freezes the top screen at the glitch until it's back into the angle it likes. I don't know what's causing it as it was working JUST FINE before. Any ideas? I thought it may be a loose ribbon cable, but I heard that signs of that included it popping audibly and powering off. I haven't had that happen yet. Just no visible content or glitched/frozen. Thanks so much in advance!

Attachments

• 3ds failing.png
    3ds failing.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 433

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
damn this is a werid glitch, did you try removing battery for a while?

i had screen issues on my n3dsxL too, i removed battery for nearly half day, or a full day.

i dont remember , but it was effective and never had a screen issue again, but i had once clapped the lid really rough (accidentaly) that could have caused my screen issue,

so did you ever drop it, or closed the lid too rough?

drsalvador555

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
damn this is a werid glitch, did you try removing battery for a while?

i had screen issues on my n3dsxL too, i removed battery for nearly half day, or a full day.

i dont remember , but it was effective and never had a screen issue again, but i had once clapped the lid really rough (accidentaly) that could have caused my screen issue,

so did you ever drop it, or closed the lid too rough?

I dropped it maybe 2 feet down off a night stand but it was fine after it. I'll try removing the battery and see where that goes. Was the screen problem you had the same problem as this, or was it light flickering or what?

drsalvador555

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, the screen is defective and has to be replaced

Well hopefully it's not that, but if it is, I can send it back to the person I bought it from. They said they can repair/replace it. There are perks from places like ebay after all :) I just don't want to have to start over with my CFW, or get a currently unhackable firmware.

Last edited by drsalvador555,

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
it was like a bad 3d effect that got stuck with my screen, and after that bad flickering , like you couldnt even look at it, it was looking really bad.

after turning it off a few times and removing battery for nearly half or a full day it was fixed.

hopefully you get yours fixed !

drsalvador555

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it was like a bad 3d effect that got stuck with my screen, and after that bad flickering , like you couldnt even look at it, it was looking really bad.

after turning it off a few times and removing battery for nearly half or a full day it was fixed.

hopefully you get yours fixed !

Mine is looking like bad tearing, and it freezes and unfreezes when the hinges bend. I took the battery out like 2 hours ago after powering it on and off several times. I think it's a loose connection, but, I'll leave it out overnight and see if it's fixed in the morning.
The guy I bought it from on ebay says he'll fix it, or refund me, I hope for repairs but I could just buy another one from someone else with the refund if he can't.

Blue

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do I need to do anything in particular or just backup my SD card? Because I already did that part.
The saves are encrypted so you would need the CIA or 3DSX version of JKSV and backup all your saves or if you keep that 3DS do a system transfer.

Last edited by Blue,

drsalvador555

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hopefully you get things sorted out, good luck ! C:

Doesn't seem to be fixed. I'm pretty convinced it's a loose ribbon cable, especially considering it cuts in and out when the hinge bends. I'll send it back to the buyer, here's to hoping it's a quick fix.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The saves are encyrpted so you would need the CIA or 3DSX version of JKSV and backup all your saves or if you keep that 3DS do a system transfer.

I don't suppose there is a way to do a system transfer to keep the CFW? I suppose you just transfer saves and stuff like that, don't you?

drsalvador555

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I'm getting a prepaid return label in the mail tomorrow. I hope he can fix it without snooping into it and seeing CFW, because I don't think he'd like that. Not to mention I have to send my MicroSD card with it, so it will actually turn on. I backed up everything I could and I think I'll be ok if he can fix it. If not I'll use the money towards a better condition one, maybe even *Gasp* new! I'll keep you guys posted in case anyone has a similar problem, and I'll tell you guys if he fixed what the cause was. Wish me luck!

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't suppose there is a way to do a system transfer to keep the CFW? I suppose you just transfer saves and stuff like that, don't you?
Using a DSiWare downgrade, you're pretty much guaranteed to be able to CFW a new 3DS.

Also, it looks like faulty VRAM, not a faulty screen.

drsalvador555

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using a DSiWare downgrade, you're pretty much guaranteed to be able to CFW a new 3DS.

Also, it looks like faulty VRAM, not a faulty screen.

Really? I don't see how that looks like faulty VRAM at all. I'm not saying it isn't, just that I don't see it. The hinge bending affects the image, and if the VRAM is the culprit...how does that work?

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really? I don't see how that looks like faulty VRAM at all. I'm not saying it isn't, just that I don't see it. The hinge bending affects the image, and if the VRAM is the culprit...how does that work?
Well, it looks like 2 or more banks of VRAM somehow got their signals mixed and started mirroring each other, but if it moves when you move the screen, then it would be the ribbon cable having issues.

drsalvador555

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it looks like 2 or more banks of VRAM somehow got their signals mixed and started mirroring each other, but if it moves when you move the screen, then it would be the ribbon cable having issues.

I see what you thought, no it's not mirroring it, that's just the way it was for the frame of the picture. Sometimes the image is missing strips or they skip strips of the screen. If I start it up in the wrong screen position it's just black. I'm 95% sure it's a ribbon cable, but I don't trust myself to work on them. Not when someone who buys/sells/repairs them for a job is offering to fix it for me for free.

drsalvador555

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't really blame you, all the ribbons in the New 3DS are a super pain to work with.

No kidding. I opened it up and got the back shell off, out pops a ribbon cable and it took an HOUR to get it reseated just right...and it didn't fix it D:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn