Hardware New 3DS XL battery level doesn't update

Neville_Shorttop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently put Luma CFW using the hard mod method on a New 3DS XL and everything went mostly smooth (see bottom of post) except for the fact that my battery level isn't updating.

If I have a fully charged battery and use it for a while, the percentage won't change. If I remove and reseat the battery, the percentage will be different upon checking again. However, it will be higher than is reported on my second system which is an old 3DS XL. It will remain at this percentage until I remove and reseat again.

For example: I can start with a battery that reports at 100%, play until the system is a minute from dying and it will still report 100%. If I pull the battery and reseat, it will change, but the reported percentage will be too high.

The battery seems to charge just fine except for the fact that the battery percentage won't change and the orange light won't go out. I can confirm that charging stops with a USB current meter.

To troubleshoot, I have tested with multiple batteries (all of which work fine on my old 3DS XL), I let the system die and recharged in attempt to re-calibrate, and I performed a factory restore via the settings menu all to no avail.

This was a 3DS that wasn't touched for a couple of years. For all I know, this issue was present before I modded it.

I should also mention that after reassembly of the 3DS, I had the blue light turns on for a second, speakers pop and dies issue, but was able to remedy this by reseating ribbon cables.

Last edited by Neville_Shorttop,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was a 3DS that wasn't touched for a couple of years <- this is probably your answer, the battery overall capacity die over time.

Neville_Shorttop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was a 3DS that wasn't touched for a couple of years <- this is probably your answer, the battery overall capacity die over time.
I forget mention that I purchased batteries because I anticipated the battery being a problem. However before they arrived, I ran Battery Checker for 5 hours on the old battery, during which time the percentage remained at 100%. I would not expect a diminished battery to stay at 100% the whole time. The fact that my other system responds correctly leads me to to believe the battery isn't the issue.

Neville_Shorttop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Were those third party battery or official one?
The two batteries I got from eBay were listed as OEM and had differing serial numbers for whatever that is worth. I would have purchased directly from Nintendo, but they have been "temporarily out of stock" for weeks. I suspect it is related to the pandemic.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ebay[.]us[slash]SFBei3
NoScript detected a spike in the link shortener you posted.

Let's try this again. Type it like this with the spaces and removal of the description field like this:
  • www . ebay . com / itm / 254570005358
Example link is SUPPLYAID brand KN95 masks sold by Snow Joe for anyone curious.

Neville_Shorttop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NoScript detected a spike in the link shortener you posted.

Let's try this again. Type it like this with the spaces and removal of the description field like this:
  • [redacted]
Example link is SUPPLYAID brand KN95 masks sold by Snow Joe for anyone curious.
Sorry about that, but the filter is catching it when following your direction. ebay.com/itm/264217153880

Edit: I was able to edit the link in.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[eBay] New Original Genuine OEM Nintendo 3DS XL Battery SPR-003 1750mAh Battery

I'm on the fence about that battery. The seller's feedback rating is high and numerous, but the particular battery he sells seems to be from the older batch found in the o3DSXL. While I believe the battery is genuine, their lifespan might be expired somewhat.

If you have a digital kitchen scale, you can measure its mass and compare against these references:
An example 3rd party battery by Cellonic brand that's commonly sold in Europe.
Another example 3rd party by CellePhone / Cameron Sino.

In case yours turn out to be dud or counterfeit, and you need another battery but can't get an official battery straight from Nintendo due to CV restrictions, check my signature for those mentioned generics or see this for newer batch SPR-003.

Neville_Shorttop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[eBay] New Original Genuine OEM Nintendo 3DS XL Battery SPR-003 1750mAh Battery

I'm on the fence about that battery. The seller's feedback rating is high and numerous, but the particular battery he sells seems to be from the older batch found in the o3DSXL. While I believe the battery is genuine, their lifespan might be expired somewhat.

If you have a digital kitchen scale, you can measure its mass and compare against these references:
An example 3rd party battery by Cellonic brand that's commonly sold in Europe.
Another example 3rd party by CellePhone / Cameron Sino.

In case yours turn out to be dud or counterfeit, and you need another battery but can't get an official battery straight from Nintendo due to CV restrictions, check my signature for those mentioned generics or see this for newer batch SPR-003.
I agree about your thoughts on the seller. I was disappointed when the batteries had zero volts when they arrived. Despite that, they last long enough. I weighed the batteries against the my original batteries and found them all to be around 36 or 38 grams depending on how gently I placed them on my postage scale which is accurate to 2 grams.

With all that being said, do you think that a battery in poor condition could prevent the battery level from updating on the New 3DS but not the Old 3DS?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree about your thoughts on the seller. I was disappointed when the batteries had zero volts when they arrived. Despite that, they last long enough. I weighed the batteries against the my original batteries and found them all to be around 36 or 38 grams depending on how gently I placed them on my postage scale which is accurate to 2 grams.

With all that being said, do you think that a battery in poor condition could prevent the battery level from updating on the New 3DS but not the Old 3DS?

lithium battery needs to be charged regularly for it to be functioning normal, let use a laptop battery as example if you don't charge the battery and haven't used the battery long time, the overall capacity of the get shorten, in your case the seller might have the battery sitting around for a while without it being charged, you might just got a bad battery.

Neville_Shorttop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I added some information because upon rereading, I felt I wasn't as clear as I would have liked to have been.
For example: I can start with a battery that reports at 100%, play until the system is a minute from dying and it will still report 100%. If I pull the battery and reseat, it will change, but the reported percentage will be too high.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I added some information because upon rereading, I felt I wasn't as clear as I would have liked to have been.

-snip-

-snip-
I don't know why there's a discrepancy between how your n3DSXL and o3DSXL reports the battery life. If you have a friend or family who happens to also have a n3DSXL that's vetted to be fully functional, try to see if they'll let you borrow theirs to test that battery on.
  • If that other n3DSXL behaves exactly like your n3DSXL, the fault lies in the battery.
  • But if 2nd n3DSXL reports battery life like the o3DSXL, the fault lies in your n3DSXL.
Here's my theory on what could be going on here.
The recently purchased battery has retained most of its original 1750 mAh capacity but has degraded in one aspect: delivering sustained peak voltage. Peak voltage decreases as the battery life drains. I don't know if your familiar or ever experience this on other electronic devices like smartphones and laptops, but have you ever noticed how as their batteries age, they degrade to the point that they tend to report back ballpark estimate 10-30% charge life left but then either drop to near 0% or instantly shutoff?

Your battery is kinda like milk that's in the process of spoiling. You might be okay drinking or stomaching it, but your waifu / GF / significant other would toss it if she whiffs and notices the smallest hint of curdling.

I guess what I'm trying to say the battery sits on the fence where it can consistently supply enough juice to the o3DSXL but not the n3DSXL because the n3DSXL's current draw is higher (ie, hungrier CPU, RAM, IPS LCD panels). * Combined this with the above point ( high draw + low supply scenario ).

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Neville_Shorttop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know why there's a discrepancy between how your n3DSXL and o3DSXL reports the battery life. If you have a friend or family who happens to also have a n3DSXL that's vetted to be fully functional, try to see if they'll let you borrow theirs to test that battery on.
  • If that other n3DSXL behaves exactly like your n3DSXL, the fault lies in the battery.
  • But if 2nd n3DSXL reports battery life like the o3DSXL, the fault lies in your n3DSXL.
This would be ideal, but I don't have access to another n3DSXL.

Here's my theory on what could be going on here.
The recently purchased battery has retained most of its original 1750 mAh capacity but has degraded in one aspect: delivering sustained peak voltage. Peak voltage decreases as the battery life drains. I don't know if your familiar or ever experience this on other electronic devices like smartphones and laptops, but have you ever noticed how as their batteries age, they degrade to the point that they tend to report back ballpark estimate 10-30% charge life left but then either drop to near 0% or instantly shutoff?

Your battery is kinda like milk that's in the process of spoiling. You might be okay drinking or stomaching it, but your waifu / GF / significant other would toss it if she whiffs and notices the smallest hint of curdling.

I guess what I'm trying to say the battery sits on the fence where it can consistently supply enough juice to the o3DSXL but not the n3DSXL because the n3DSXL's current draw is higher (ie, hungrier CPU, RAM, IPS LCD panels). * Combined this with the above point ( high draw + low supply scenario ).
I have experienced this before. However my experience has never been the battery percentage not updating whatsoever. It would be comforting if that were the case because I would be confident it was the battery.

Yesterday the system died while reporting 52% remaining. After charging it overnight, the system still reports 52%. Had I pulled and replaced the battery prior to recharging, it would be showing 1% or 2% until I pulled and replaced the battery again. The only way the percentage changes is if I pull and replace the battery. Nothing else influences it.

I will try testing your theory with a variable DC power supply hooked up to the battery pins. I'll report back, but it will take a while because I'll need to order some things for this test.

That being said, I suspect the some hardware has gone bad on either the main board or battery/button board.

I appreciate your input.

edit: grammar

Neville_Shorttop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Solved:

I was able to narrow the problem down the battery board. I got access to another 3DS and used its battery board in the problematic 3DS. With the new board, the battery level updates as it should.

Thank you very much to everyone who helped me troubleshoot.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Lonely here
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Anybody?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I want my money back... Drug test? No drugs to test but they want me to pee in a cup! Lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Better call Pedro you're up in smoke
    +2
  • C @ Clayton44333:
    hey any1 know if there is a new version of the ps4 homebrew store ?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Finally there are people here
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We're figments of your imagination
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: We're figments of your imagination +1