New 3DS, what Firmware?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by GorTesK, Jul 30, 2013.

1. GorTesK
    OP

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    To clarify the question, if I were to buy a 3DS right now, what Firmware Version would it probably be on? (I live in Germany, but it would probably be about the same in every country... right? o.o)
    I already own a 3DSXL on FW 5.X and I'm interested in buying a new normal 3DS for 2 reasons
    1. Pokemon X/Y - I'm gonna buy both on release, so my sister and I can play. Need a second 3DS, so we can both play at the same time (was extremely nerve wracking to wait for her to finish Mystery Dungeon, before I could finally play it -.-) and so we can trade the 3 Starters to each other
    2. Gateway 3DS if its worth it (will see after release/review by Devin) I hate spending 40-50€ for a game, that I only play an hour or so and then never again... so having Gateway 3DS I could test the games beforehand and then decide whether to purchase them or not :-)

Owning Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity (EU) I should be able to do the 4.5 FW upgrade, in case the 3DS FW is lower than that, right?

Thanks in advance

Edit for the mods: In case the thread title might be misleading, feel free to change it :-)

2. grozio

grozio Member

Newcomer
    Dec 2, 2006
    Antarctica
    i've bought a new 3ds xl from amazon (131 euro) and firmware is 4.2...

3. er745

er745 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2013
    And the black XL? Came out on March 27 in Europe but I've seen in stores in some boxes puts 2012. Not if chances.

4. GorTesK
    OP

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    131€ for a NEW XL ? holy sh..... on the german amazon site prizes are like this: 155€ for a new 3DS, 120€ for a used one - 179€ for a new 3DSXL 156€ for a usd one... so... well.. gratz for the 131€ new XL o.O

but back to my question, does someone else know, what FW a new 3DS(not XL) comes with, nowadays?

5. Alucard8000

Alucard8000 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 23, 2013
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Das Interwebs
    most of the time its either 4.1 or 4.2

6. BORODA

BORODA Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2013
    Mine black XL from amazon.de bought on Jul. 12 has 4.5 preinstalled.
    So, for people who want to use gateway, it's a very good idea to buy the console now, until stocks last.

7. Enchilada

Enchilada GBAtemp Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Romania
    Hyrule
    Look on the back of the box. There you'll see in what year the 3DS was made. Buy one from 2012 because 5.0 wasn't released back then.

8. GorTesK
    OP

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    oh.. the date on the back of the box... that's nice.. didn't consider that :-) thanks