hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NetHackDS v1.5
Newcomer roguelike by ~brettk

An update to ~brettk's recently released NetHackDS. "Well, version 1.5 is now out, supporting text mode, complete with IBM graphics and full colour (both of which are, of course, optional)! To upgrade, just unzip the new archive straight over the old installation. As for enabling text mode, simply edit NetHack/defaults.nh, and comment out the OPTION line defining the tile settings. Feel free to remove the 'ibmgraphics' or 'color' options, if you like things a little more plain." Download below.

download.gif
Download
icon11.gif
Source

D

Deleted User

Before removing the tiles I thought that it was a good but not playable (for me) port... After I've removed it was fantastic ! Too bad the command list is spoiling a lot. I think for future version it should allow you to enter a command with the keyboard and when it's recognized add it to the list.
This is so better than the previous port. For anyone having been reluctant to try it because of it, I'll say this : GO PLAY THIS !

abcd1234

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm actually planning a feature in the next version that would allow one to use the keyboard instead of command window for entering commands. Basically, holding L (or R) would pop up a virtual keyboard, instead of the command window, depending on how the user has configured things, and they could use it to enter commands in the usual way. I hadn't considered a dynamically updating list, and probably won't go there right away, but I'm hoping that will satisfy people who would prefer the virtual keyboard, instead.

Of course, you'd still use the touchscreen for navigating menus and prompts, etc.

Naouak

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
well, command list doesn't spoil anything. There is so much things hide in this game. try for example to throw your weapon up ( direction "." ).

abcd1234

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ha ha, interesting, I had assumed he meant "spoiling", as in, "ruining the gameplay", ie cumbersome, tough to use, etc. Of course, the command window, by definition, can't spoil, in the NetHack sense, given you can just read the help and extended help listings, which describe every single command available in the game.

D

Deleted User

Ha ha, interesting, I had assumed he meant "spoiling", as in, "ruining the gameplay", ie cumbersome, tough to use, etc. Of course, the command window, by definition, can't spoil, in the NetHack sense, given you can just read the help and extended help listings, which describe every single command available in the game.
I don't quite agree. In the days of people downloading and playing without looking at a readme or anything, it's still great to keep things in the help. The E word for example, I guess it will feel bad for you too if it was directly available in menu.

abcd1234

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But the E word isn't available in any help text within the game. It's considered a secret, and undocumented as such.

But the commands are flat out listed in the game. Heck, it's the second item in the list when you hit "?". And I don't know anyone who considers using the built-in help a spoiler (well, at least until today
smile.gif
. I mean, without the help, it isn't even clear how to move around, let alone open doors, etc. Do you really expect the user to just stumble across all that information by accident? Further, do you really believe that's what the developers intended, particularly since such extensive help is available right within the game?

D

Deleted User

But the E word isn't available in any help text within the game. It's considered a secret, and undocumented as such.Â

But the commands are flat out listed in the game. Heck, it's the second item in the list when you hit "?". And I don't know anyone who considers using the built-in help a spoiler (well, at least until today
smile.gif
. I mean, without the help, it isn't even clear how to move around, let alone open doors, etc. Do you really expect the user to just stumble across all that information by accident? Further, do you really believe that's what the developers intended, particularly since such extensive help is available right within the game?
Ok.. ok.. It's me then. It seems to me I have forgotten which part of the nethack gameplay were taught by the help and which were "learned". So nevermind what I said earlier. On the gameplay side the big command list seems great, it has a point and click adventure feeling I like. Seriously, who has not dreamed to be able to sacrifice in monkey island ?
smile.gif

RollingSkull

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to meet the man who ascended in Nethack without any help from spoilers, collaborative knowledge sharing, or similar "impure" tasks and introduce him to the world outside his computer room, or at least other video games. NetHack is too complicated, too ridiculously difficult to not at least have some help. Hell, the E-word is IN THE NETHACK GUIDEBOOK!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • light27 @ light27:
    fun fact
  • light27 @ light27:
    the first time i ever played on a wii u EVER was when I was getting my ear tubes removed
  • light27 @ light27:
    i was playing wii party
  • light27 @ light27:
    u*
  • light27 @ light27:
    but i only got to play for like
  • light27 @ light27:
    3 seconds
  • light27 @ light27:
    younger me would've never thought that I would have a wii u now
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @light27, i wanted a Wii u as a kid when i watched a Mario kart 8 commercial on tv
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I had a Wii-U it sucked lol
    Even hacked it sucked lol
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    nah the Wii U wasn't bad
    +1
    the hardware is good
    The controller sucked
    it has good games, just not enough of them
    +2
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    the indie games on wii u were amazing though
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    and also some of nintendo's first party games
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    some of the best selling games on the switch are wii u ports (that are priced way too high
    like come on 60 for a game thats a decade old??)
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @ColdBlitz, i forgot breath of the wild released for the Wii u
    $60 for a game that's a decade old might be unheard of on PC but actually is not uncommon on consoles
    +1
    especially Nintendo because they only ever lower the price of games when they do a greatest hits/platinum hits/players choice re-release
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @The Real Jdbye, and the HD collections released for 7th gen consoles too
    but they don't seem to have done any of those for the switch yet and maybe never will
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    I think we all forgot breath of the wild released for the wii u tbh
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @The Real Jdbye, tbh the HD collections are more justified since they include more than just 1 game per copy
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @The Real Jdbye, tbh the HD collections are more justified since they include more than just 1...