Netbook

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by playallday, Jul 31, 2009.

Jul 31, 2009

Netbook by playallday at 9:40 PM (971 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. playallday
    OP

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada

Last edited by playallday, Jun 23, 2015
  2. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Well not sure why you would want to run OSX on one (as they're limited in power and every other alternative will run faster and have more battery life) but regardless, you'll definitely want the 6 cell battery (so my choice is the Acer).

3. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    ASUS Eee PC 1000HE

4. emupaul

Member emupaul GBAtemp Fan

United States
  5. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    You have over 2k posts here, and you couldn't search to find the multiple other threads about netbooks and notebooks?

Aspire One is too small for my hands, the Dell... meh, unless you want to hackintosh it.

Personally I'd go for one of the 10" EEE PCs by Asus or the Samsung NC10 (or one of their derivatives)

6. Plague_Host_Extr

Newcomer Plague_Host_Extr Member

United States
    Stay away from Dell. I'd go with the other one. Personally, I'd go with a Laptop as they have duelcores, more RAM, and overall better performance as well as are getting cheaper and cheaper. I just bought a Toshiba Satellite for 450USD, it gets a free upgrade to Windows 7, 3gb of ram, a 64bit AMD Athlon x2 2.ghz processor, 220GBHD 2 USB ports, 1 USB/eSATA port, a monitor output and line in/mic + headphone jack. In the end for 450USD (yes I know it'd end up costing more for you) it'd be a better buy than any Netbook, and will last longer... But like I said, never get Dell no matter what lol.

7. purplesludge

Member purplesludge anyone have any ideas for this space

United States
    Go with asus.
    I have a 900HA and it is great I have tried xp and windows 7 on it and both run great. As for the other models I don't know.

8. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    The Asus Eee PC has the best track record, I know Hankchill bought the Acer Aspire One and it was DOA, not to mention they run really warm. Imo, best to do a comparison check on each model, I was in Futureshop a couple of weeks ago and picked up each netbook they had that was turned on and running and the Acer was the hottest of the bunch. Most netbooks with the GMA950 graphics can't even run 4 year old games though, you won't find until you get into the higher end Eee PC's that they are any good for running games, maybe StarCraft and some of those older games. Really if you want mobility plus some graphics processing, you can get about 5 hours out of the Asus N10 mini laptop

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16834220385

But it's also expensive, however one of the differences between it and other computers is that it runs dedicated and integrate graphics, running on the integrated chip while mobile will give you better battery life, while you will get enhanched graphical performance with the graphics card enabled, you have to restart the machine in order to enable and disable the card.

9. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    The N10 series have a couple of different models I think, the N10J is the one I linked, good enough for most people on the go who want the option to play some games that might be a year or two old, however most games wouldn't run very well. Odds are you could probably play Oblivion on the N10J [​IMG]

10. em2241992

Member em2241992 GBAtemp Regular

United States
  11. Hardkaare

Member Hardkaare GBAtemp Fan

Vietnam
    Are you getting the new 10inch screen aspire one, or the old 8.9?