Gaming Netbook Import

mayhem366

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Right, wanted some advice from you guys...

I live in the UK and have been looking at getting the Eee PC T91 MT Netbook,
the thing is, it costs around £450 for the model that has a 16GB HDD (+16GB SDHC card) and Windows XP.

I have seen a different model on US sites with a 32GB HDD and Windows 7 for a converted price of about £300.

The question is, if i was to import this, would it be cheaper overall?
Seeing as i would need a power converter, something like this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=31899.
(I don't know what Wattage i would need either...any ideas?)

I am assuming that i will be charged for postage on the majority of places i can get it and also will i get charged import tax too?

mayhem366

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Really? I heard someone say that the netbook SSDs are really slow to write too. Don't all netbooks have SSDs though?

I was going to get this particular netbook as it has a mutlitouch screen meaning it can be folded down into a tablet. Perfect for taking to lectures.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
mayhem366 said:
Really? I heard someone say that the netbook SSDs are really slow to write too. Don't all netbooks have SSDs though?

I was going to get this particular netbook as it has a mutlitouch screen meaning it can be folded down into a tablet. Perfect for taking to lectures.
SSDs suck. I had a Aspire One 110L, which came with a 8GB SSD. That thing WAS SLOW. And when I mean slow, I mean "almost unusable in Windows".

Nowadays Netbooks also come with standard 2,5" HDs. Be ware of the fact that you can't move rapidly the netbook when you have a 2,5" HD as when you have a SSD, as doing that will pretty much kill the mechanical part of the HD in few months.

In this case, seeing you would use it as a tablet (not exactly the best position for a 7200RPM rotating little metal head), then a SSD would be preferable.
Just be prepared to see a lot of slowness, if the SSD is a cheap one
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, 4th what?